Archimedes' principle -- Which box will sink first as we add coins....

In summary, the problem is about determining which of the given box sizes (p x l x t) can hold the most coins before sinking, assuming they are all filled with coins one at a time and do not tilt. The key factor is the volume of the box above the water level, which means that the box with the largest volume (8 x 8 x 4 cm3) should be able to hold the most coins. This is because it will displace the most water, allowing it to float better than the other boxes.
dkk
Member has been warned not to remove the template.
There are five empty box contains with the same weight. The upper side of each boxes are removed. These boxes are floating in a pool of water. Then to each box we put coins slowly one by one. Assuming the box does not tilt. Determine which of the following size of the box (p x l x t) can be filled with most coins before it sinks.

A.) 4 x 4 x 11 cm3
B.) 6 x 6 x 6 cm3
C.) 8 x 8 x 4 cm3
D.) 10 x 10 x 2 cm3
E.) 12 x 12 x 1 cm3

Don't have the answer, but I chose C as the answer. All boxes have the same weight. The box with the larger volume should be able to float better than the other boxes right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right.

I think it might be a little more complicated than that. Imagen that you add the same amount of coins to all the boxes at once and they all are sinking down. What do you think will happen?

andrevdh said:
I think it might be a little more complicated than that. Imagen that you add the same amount of coins to all the boxes at once and they all are sinking down. What do you think will happen?
First off you are changing the problem that says that the coins are added one at a time. However, I will imagine (as you asked me to do) that the same amount of coins are added to all boxes and that they all sink down. What I think will happen (as you said) is that they will all sink down. The point of the problem as stated is that the box that displaces the most water will hold the highest number of coins. Your point is ... ?

I was just engaging with the problem throught a thought experiment and wondering what will be the difference between long slim boxes and fat low boxes as they sink while they hold the same amount of coins in order to get a better feeling for the problem, but you are right because the volume above the water level actually holds the answer to this problem.

1. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does Archimedes' principle apply to the scenario of adding coins to boxes?

In this scenario, the weight of the coins being added to the boxes will increase the weight of the boxes. As the weight of the boxes increases, the buoyant force exerted on them by the fluid (air) will also increase, making them more likely to float.

3. Which box will sink first as we add coins, and why?

The box with the least amount of coins will sink first. This is because as more coins are added, the weight of the box increases. However, the volume of the box remains the same, meaning the buoyant force exerted by the air remains constant. Eventually, the weight of the box will become greater than the buoyant force and it will sink.

4. Can Archimedes' principle be applied to any fluid?

Yes, Archimedes' principle can be applied to any fluid, including liquids and gases. However, the density of the fluid will affect the buoyant force exerted on an object.

5. Are there any exceptions to Archimedes' principle?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Archimedes' principle. For example, if an object is denser than the fluid it is placed in, it will sink regardless of its shape or size. Additionally, if the fluid is compressible, the density may change as the object is submerged, affecting the buoyant force.