Archimedes's principle of float

In summary, a swimming pool with dimensions 5m x 4m has a big layer of ice floating on the surface. On top of the ice is a rock with a mass of 40kg and a relative density of 5. When the ice melts and the rock falls, the water level in the pool changes by a final answer of 1.6 * 10^-3 m. This calculation involves using Archimedes' Principle to calculate the upthrust force and volume of the displaced liquid, taking into account the weight of the rock and the melted ice. The change in height of the water in the pool is found to be 2 * 10^-3 m before the ice melts and 4 * 10
justaus3r

Homework Statement

A swimming pool with 5 M length and 4 M width.A big layer of ice floats on the surface of the pool and above the layer of ice a rock with 40 KG mass and 5 R.D.,If the ice is melted and the rock fall, calculate the change in the height of water in the pool

final answer (1.6 * 10^-3 m)

Homework Equations

F_b (upthrust force) = ρ_water * volume_immersed * gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried by getting the volume of the displaced liquid as it equals the upthrust force and then divide it by the area to get the height of the displaced liquid but the answer is wrong. i think we should include the ice as it melted but it didn't give any info. about it though

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem has nothing to do with Archimedes' Principle.

But you are right the thickness of ice is assumed to be negligible.

justaus3r said:

Homework Statement

A swimming pool with 5 M length and 4 M width.A big layer of ice floats on the surface of the pool and above the layer of ice a rock with 40 KG mass and 5 R.D.,If the ice is melted and the rock fall, calculate the change in the height of water in the pool

final answer (1.6 * 10^-3 m)

Homework Equations

F_b (upthrust force) = ρ_water * volume_immersed * gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried by getting the volume of the displaced liquid as it equals the upthrust force and then divide it by the area to get the height of the displaced liquid but the answer is wrong. i think we should include the ice as it melted but it didn't give any info. about it though
Hello justaus3r. Welcome to PF !

What is R.D. ?

Relative Density ?

Does the height of the water increase, or does it decrease ?

paisiello2 said:

This problem has everything to do with Archimedes' Principle .

Your calculation is almost correct. It correctly computes the level rise due to the rock on top of the ice. When the ice melts, the rock doesn't vanish in thin air. It goes to the bottom where it still affects the water level, but the amount of water level rise is different than before. Compute the difference.

SammyS said:
This problem has everything to do with Archimedes' Principle .
Yes, I see you are right now.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Hello justaus3r. Welcome to PF !

What is R.D. ?

Relative Density ?

Does the height of the water increase, or does it decrease ?

yes R.D. is relative density = Density of material / density of water

it increases

paisiello2 said:

archimedes' principle includes cases where opposing force(s) has higher value than upthrust force which leads to the sinking of the body

dauto said:
Your calculation is almost correct. It correctly computes the level rise due to the rock on top of the ice. When the ice melts, the rock doesn't vanish in thin air. It goes to the bottom where it still affects the water level, but the amount of water level rise is different than before. Compute the difference.

thanks in advance for helping but unfortunatly i don't have the height of water in the pool

justaus3r said:
thanks in advance for helping but unfortunately i don't have the height of water in the pool .
You don't need the height of water in the pool. you just need to find out how much it changes.

SammyS said:
You don't need the height of water in the pool. you just need to find out how much it changes.

Ok, as for the ice part should i include it or i can't bec. i don't have its area ?

justaus3r said:
Ok, as for the ice part should i include it or i can't bec. i don't have its area ?
Consider an ice cube floating in a glass of water.

How much water does it displace?

When it melts, what is the weight of the (liquid) water that the melted ice becomes?

SammyS said:
Consider an ice cube floating in a glass of water.

How much water does it displace?

When it melts, what is the weight of the (liquid) water that the melted ice becomes?

it displaces amount of water equals to the upthrust force acting on ice from surface of water

I think it remains the same (am not sure though )

justaus3r said:
it displaces amount of water equals to the upthrust force acting on ice from surface of water

I think it remains the same (am not sure though )
The ice cube displaces an amount of water equal to the weight of the ice cube.

When the ice cube melts the weight of the water it yields is equal to the weight of the water it used to displace.

SammyS said:
The ice cube displaces an amount of water equal to the weight of the ice cube.

When the ice cube melts the weight of the water it yields is equal to the weight of the water it used to displace.

their masses are equal but their volumes aren't equal, right ?

Area = 20 m^(2)
Before melting
I think i solved it but correct me if i am wrong
if the height increased due to floatation of that ice layer with the body equals 2 * 10 ^(-3) m
since the body is floating therefore the M_body*g = ρ_water * vol._immersed * g
vol_immersed = M_body / ρ_water = 40 / 1000 = 4 * 10 ^(-2) then V = A * h, h = V / A
equals 4 * 10 ^ -2 / 20, therefore h = 2 * 10 ^(-3) m

since the ice had melted and the body fall
weight of water displaced = upthrust force
M * g = volume of body * ρ_water *g
M * g = 8 * 10 ^(-3) * 1000 * g
M = 8 Kg
volume of water = 8 / 1000 = 8 * 10(^-3) m^3
height = 8 * 10 ^(-3) / 20 = 4 * 10 ^(-4) m

change in height = 2 * 10^(-3) - 4 * 10^(-4) = 1.6 * 10 ^(-3) m

justaus3r said:
Area = 20 m^(2)
Before melting
I think i solved it but correct me if i am wrong
if the height increased due to floatation of that ice layer with the body equals 2 * 10 ^(-3) m
since the body is floating therefore the M_body*g = ρ_water * vol._immersed * g
vol_immersed = M_body / ρ_water = 40 / 1000 = 4 * 10 ^(-2) then V = A * h, h = V / A
equals 4 * 10 ^ -2 / 20, therefore h = 2 * 10 ^(-3) m

since the ice had melted and the body fall
weight of water displaced = upthrust force
M * g = volume of body * ρ_water *g
M * g = 8 * 10 ^(-3) * 1000 * g
M = 8 Kg
volume of water = 8 / 1000 = 8 * 10(^-3) m^3
height = 8 * 10 ^(-3) / 20 = 4 * 10 ^(-4) m

change in height = 2 * 10^(-3) - 4 * 10^(-4) = 1.6 * 10 ^(-3) m

Is the final height lower or higher then the initial height?

The change of height is the final height - initial height. You subtracted the final height from the initial one, so got wrong sign for the change. Otherwise, it is correct.

ehild

ehild said:
Is the final height lower or higher then the initial height?

The change of height is the final height - initial height. You subtracted the final height from the initial one, so got wrong sign for the change. Otherwise, it is correct.

ehild

I supposed that the change in height = height_big - height_small

Last edited:

What is Archimedes's principle of float?

Archimedes's principle of float states that an object that is partially or fully submerged in a fluid will experience a buoyant force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

What is the significance of Archimedes's principle of float?

This principle helps explain why objects float or sink in fluids and is important in understanding the behavior of ships, submarines, and other floating vessels.

How did Archimedes discover this principle?

Archimedes discovered this principle while trying to determine if a gold crown was made of pure gold or if it had been mixed with other metals. He realized that the crown would displace the same volume of water as an equal weight of pure gold, leading to the famous "Eureka!" moment.

Does Archimedes's principle of float apply to all fluids?

Yes, this principle applies to all fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is most commonly used in relation to liquids, such as water.

How is Archimedes's principle of float used in real-world applications?

This principle is used in various industries, such as shipbuilding, submarines, and hot air balloons, to calculate the buoyant force and ensure the stability of the objects. It is also used in determining the density of objects and substances.