Architecture Student Seeks Advice on Wind-Catcher Design

In summary: Looks good. To find out exactly how effective it is (how strong the air current is) would be a fairly difficult calculation, but qualitatively it is correct. During night you would (generally) expect the air current to decrease, as the temperature gradient is lower (but that depends on some details of the region, climate, etc).Your colors are reversed. The night difference is the airflow stops.thanks you for your help :)i didnt get it , i think you mean the direction maybe wrong not the colorswhat i know that the cool air is lighter than the hot air that's why the air is becoming hotter when it goes up until it get outside the building , and then the hot
shoayb
hi
am an architecture student , i used some techniques in my project which it will work same as the wind-catcher , but am not sure how it will work , so can anyone tell me if the air movement is correct in my drawing or its wrong ?
and is there any difference in the air movement between day and night in such case ?

this is the drawing , somehow like a mountain or a tent ( section cutting the building in 2 parts ) :
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz30/Shoayb/day.jpg

i hope its clear

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Looks good. To find out exactly how effective it is (how strong the air current is) would be a fairly difficult calculation, but qualitatively it is correct. During night you would (generally) expect the air current to decrease, as the temperature gradient is lower (but that depends on some details of the region, climate, etc).

Your colors are reversed. The night difference is the airflow stops.

zhermes said:
Looks good. To find out exactly how effective it is (how strong the air current is) would be a fairly difficult calculation, but qualitatively it is correct. During night you would (generally) expect the air current to decrease, as the temperature gradient is lower (but that depends on some details of the region, climate, etc).
russ_watters said:
Your colors are reversed. The night difference is the airflow stops.
thanks you for your help :)
i didnt get it , i think you mean the direction maybe wrong not the colors

what i know that the cool air is lighter than the hot air that's why the air is becoming hotter when it goes up until it get outside the building , and then the hot air from outside will be cooled when it reach the water because of the evaporation , and the cycle will go on

but am not sure if the highest part will work as solar chimney or as wind-catcher , i mean is the hot air leaving from the highest point or entering from it ? because someone told me that it will work as solar chimney in the day and as wind-catcher in the night , and i don't know if this right or not

btw the proposal site is in turkey , where is the temperature is about 30 C in summer , and the highest point in the building is about 40 meters

again , thank you very much for your help

Sorry, my comments were completely separate from each other and should have been bulleted.
shoayb said:
thanks you for your help :)
i didnt get it , i think you mean the direction maybe wrong not the colors

what i know that the cool air is lighter than the hot air that's why the air is becoming hotter when it goes up until it get outside the building...
No, hot air is lighter than cool air and air cools as it rises. That's how thunderstorms form.
...and then the hot air from outside will be cooled when it reach the water because of the evaporation...
Yes, evaporation of water will cool the air, but all that does is kill the efficiency of your system.

Here's an article on the concept: http://www.drroyspencer.com/2009/08/my-favorite-renewable-energy-concept-the-solar-updraft-tower/

Note: the article mentions a company said to be commercializing the idea. While I'm pretty sure the company is a scam, so I'm not going to link their website here, the concept is theoretically sound.

shoayb said:
hi
am an architecture student , i used some techniques in my project which it will work same as the wind-catcher , but am not sure how it will work , so can anyone tell me if the air movement is correct in my drawing or its wrong ?
and is there any difference in the air movement between day and night in such case ?

this is the drawing , somehow like a mountain or a tent ( section cutting the building in 2 parts ) :
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz30/Shoayb/day.jpg

i hope its clear

I see no reason why the air should all of a sudden sink once it escapes from the structure. It is far more likely to continue to rise and form some of those cumulus clouds that you show. Air will continue to rise inside the structure during the night hours due to vaporization and the fact that humid air is less dense than dry air. The rate of movement should decrease compared to the daylight convection. Other than that, there is little that can be said without much more information.

1. How do wind-catchers work?

Wind-catchers work by harnessing the natural power of wind to create a ventilation system. They consist of a tall tower with openings at the top and bottom. As wind passes over the top of the tower, it creates a vacuum that pulls air from the bottom of the tower, creating a breeze that circulates through the building.

2. What are the benefits of incorporating wind-catchers in building design?

Wind-catchers can provide natural ventilation, reducing the need for mechanical air conditioning systems and lowering energy costs. They also improve indoor air quality by bringing in fresh air and removing stale air. Additionally, wind-catchers can add aesthetic value to a building and create a unique architectural feature.

3. How do you determine the optimal placement for wind-catchers?

The placement of wind-catchers should be determined based on the prevailing wind direction, the building's orientation, and the layout of the surrounding structures. Ideally, wind-catchers should be placed on the side of the building that receives the most wind, and they should be positioned at a higher point to take advantage of the natural air flow.

4. Are there any limitations to using wind-catchers in building design?

While wind-catchers can be an effective and sustainable design choice, there are some limitations to consider. They may not be suitable for buildings in areas with very low wind speeds, and they may not provide enough ventilation in buildings with large floor areas. Also, wind-catchers may not be suitable for buildings in areas with high levels of pollution or extreme weather conditions.

5. How can I ensure the safety and structural stability of a wind-catcher design?

It is important to consult with a structural engineer when designing wind-catchers to ensure that they are safe and structurally sound. The design should also comply with local building codes and regulations. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted to ensure the wind-catchers are functioning properly and remain safe for occupants.