Arcing and conductivity and object interference

omarcrysis
TL;DR Summary
Trying to figure out if a bug coming between two points will create an electrical arc. Say two points with 10cm of air between them. Bug flies between the two high voltage points. Does it get zapped?
Im trying to figure out if I were to have two points with 10cm of humid ocean air between them and a fly or mosquitoes flew between the points, if they would get zapped and create an electrical arc, or if the bug would act as an insulator and be avoided by the arc?

also, could the bug trigger the arc? say There was not enough voltage to almost arc with only air between the points, then the bug flies through and gets zapped But the arc dies out once the bug tumbles away.

i Imagine that setting the voltage low enough to not start on its own but high enough to start when a tiny bug went between the two points would be a very delicate balance… right?

thanks In advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
omarcrysis said:
Im trying to figure out if I were to have two points with 10cm of humid ocean air between them and a fly or mosquitoes flew between the points, if they would get zapped and create an electrical arc, or if the bug would act as an insulator and be avoided by the arc?
If the bug was big enough, it would get zapped. The arc that follows is a plasma, that could largely pyrolyse the bug. The bug debris could hang around, and maintain an alternating arc, until the debris was cleared, and a change of polarity extinguished the arc.

Points have a continuous corona discharge that encourages breakdown, while the breakdown of the same width gap between spheres is far less likely.

omarcrysis said:

also, could the bug trigger the arc? say There was not enough voltage to almost arc with only air between the points, then the bug flies through and gets zapped But the arc dies out once the bug tumbles away.

i Imagine that setting the voltage low enough to not start on its own but high enough to start when a tiny bug went between the two points would be a very delicate balance… right?

That's how some bug zappers work, but not with a 10cm gap. The High Voltage (HV) is applied across smaller gaps, and the bugs/flies are attracted with something like light. This is the bug zapper that I currently have running in my workshop:

1694106548273.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6672BY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

EDIT/ADD -- I looked inside my bug zapper and the spacing between the alternating HV electrodes looks to be about 1cm or a little less...

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

If the bug was big enough, it would get zapped. The arc that follows is a plasma, that could largely pyrolyse the bug. The bug debris could hang around, and maintain an alternating arc, until the debris was cleared, and a change of polarity extinguished the arc.

Points have a continuous corona discharge that encourages breakdown, while the breakdown of the same width gap between spheres is far less likely.
Perfect! Thank you!
berkeman said:
That's how some bug zappers work, but not with a 10cm gap. The High Voltage (HV) is applied across smaller gaps, and the bugs/flies are attracted with something like light. This is the bug zapper that I currently have running in my workshop:

View attachment 331622
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6672BY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

EDIT/ADD -- I looked inside my bug zapper and the spacing between the alternating HV electrodes looks to be about 1cm or a little less...
yeah I was thinking of trying to build a high voltage racquet but with no metal mesh. You know, so that any mosquito that flies in will just get zapped out of thin air.

Same as a mosquito racquet but cooler and way more dangerous

omarcrysis said:
and way more dangerous
And we have a prohibition against dangerous discussions here at PF, so this thread is now closed. Have a nice day.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is arcing and how does it occur?

Arcing is the phenomenon of a sudden discharge of electricity through the air or other medium. It occurs when there is a high voltage difference between two objects, causing electricity to jump between them in the form of an arc.

2. How does conductivity affect arcing?

Conductivity refers to the ability of a material to conduct electricity. Higher conductivity means that electricity can easily flow through the material, resulting in a higher likelihood of arcing. Materials with low conductivity, such as rubber, are less likely to cause arcing.

3. What are some common causes of arcing?

Arcing can be caused by a variety of factors, including damaged or faulty electrical equipment, power surges, and lightning strikes. Poorly insulated wires or objects in close proximity to high voltage sources can also lead to arcing.

4. How can arcing be prevented?

To prevent arcing, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical equipment and ensure that it is properly grounded. Using surge protectors and avoiding overloading circuits can also help prevent arcing. In addition, keeping objects away from high voltage sources can reduce the risk of arcing.

5. What is object interference and how does it relate to arcing?

Object interference occurs when an object comes into close proximity with a high voltage source, causing arcing to occur. This can be dangerous, as the object can become charged with electricity and potentially cause electric shock or damage to the object itself.