Are all wave functions with a continuum basis non-normalizable?

In summary: Any function can be constructed from the basis functions. The OP confused the properties of the wave function with the properties of the basis functions. If the wave function is a linear superposition of the basis functions (which are non-normalizable), then the wave function in this space would be non-normalizable itself. However, a non-normalizable basis function is not an admissible wave function, so it cannot be the wave function of a system either before or after a sharp position measurement. For discrete variables, "collapse onto an eigenvector" is sometimes applicable, but it is not the most general rule. For continuous variables, the usual "collapse onto an eigenvector" rule is never
TheCanadian
For example, I am following the below proof:
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 8.51.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 8.51.46 PM.png

Although the above derivation involves a projection on the position basis, it appears one can generalize this result by using any complete basis. So despite it not being explicitly mentioned here, are all wave functions with any continuum basis non-normalizable?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your question is reworded to
TheCanadian said:
are all basis functions with any continuum spectrum non-normalizable?
then the answer would be yes.

Likes PeroK and bhobba
Yes, because if you have two eigenstates of a self-adjoint operator in the continuous spectrum then
$$\langle a_1|a_2 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \langle a_1|\vec{x} \rangle \langle \vec{x} |a_2 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} u_{a_1}^*(\vec{x}) u_{a_2}(\vec{x})=\delta(a_1-a_2).$$
So the eigenfunctions are "normalizable to a ##\delta## distribution" and thus are not normalizable in the usual sense, because they are not square integrable. They don't belong to the Hilbert space but to the dual of the domain (which is also the co-domain) of the self-adjoint operator and thus a distribution (in the sense of generalized function).

Likes bhobba
TheCanadian said:
are all wave functions with any continuum basis non-normalizable?
As I understand it, a wave packet (e.g. a Gaussian one) constructed from plane-wave states is an example of a wave function with a continuum basis, which is indeed normalizable.

jtbell said:
As I understand it, a wave packet (e.g. a Gaussian one) constructed from plane-wave states is an example of a wave function with a continuum basis, which is indeed normalizable.

Any function can be constructed from the basis functions. The OP confused the properties of the wave function with the properties of the basis functions.

Likes blue_leaf77
blue_leaf77 said:
If your question is reworded to

then the answer would be yes.

PeroK said:
Any function can be constructed from the basis functions. The OP confused the properties of the wave function with the properties of the basis functions.

Thank you for the responses. If the wave function is a linear superposition of the basis functions (which are non-normalizable) in this space, is the wave function not non-normalizable in this space, too? For example, if the wave function is given by

$$ {\lvert \psi \rangle } = \int^\infty_{-\infty} d\xi c(\xi) {\lvert \xi \rangle }$$

and ##c(\xi)## is not normalizable, then wouldn't the wave function in this space be non-normalizable itself?

Yes, e.g., ##c\left(\xi\right) = 1## gives a state that is not norrmalizable, but ##c\left(\xi\right) ## does not have to be non-normalizable, e.g.,
$$c\left(\xi\right) = A e^{-\xi^2},$$
in which case ##\left| \psi \right>## is normalizable.

TheCanadian said:
Thank you for the responses. If the wave function is a linear superposition of the basis functions (which are non-normalizable) in this space, is the wave function not non-normalizable in this space, too? For example, if the wave function is given by

$$ {\lvert \psi \rangle } = \int^\infty_{-\infty} d\xi c(\xi) {\lvert \xi \rangle }$$

and ##c(\xi)## is not normalizable, then wouldn't the wave function in this space be non-normalizable itself?

The non-normalizable basis functions are relevant when we talk about the position observable. However, a non-normalizable basis function is not an admissible wave function, so it cannot be the wave function of a system either before or after a sharp position measurement. For discrete variables, "collapse onto an eigenvector" is sometimes applicable, but it is not the most general rule. For continuous variables, the usual "collapse onto an eigenvector" rule is never applicable. The most general rule for state reductions is given in https://arxiv.org/abs/0706.3526, eg. Eq 3, 4, 9, 10.

Last edited:
Likes TheCanadian
TheCanadian said:

A finite linear combination of non-normalizable functions would, in general, be non-normalizable. But, the wave-function in this case is not a linear combination of the basis functions, in the strict sense. It's constructed from the integral you posted, which you might call a generalised linear combination with a continuous index. In any case, by integrating in this way you produce normalisable functions.

Likes TheCanadian
TheCanadian said:
For example, if the wave function is given by

Maybe I use non-standard terminology, but I wouldn't call this a "wave function", I would use "ket" or "state vector" or ... I reserve "wave function" for something like

$$\begin{align}
\psi \left( \xi \right) &= \left< \xi | \psi \right>\\
&= \int_{-\infty}^\infty d \xi' c \left( \xi' \right) \left< \xi | \xi' \right>\\
&= \int_{-\infty}^\infty d \xi' c \left( \xi' \right) \delta \left( \xi - \xi' \right)\\
&= c \left( \xi \right)
\end{align}$$

George Jones said:
Yes, e.g., ##c\left(\xi\right) = 1## gives a state that is not norrmalizable, but ##c\left(\xi\right) ## does not have to be non-normalizable, e.g.,
$$c\left(\xi\right) = A e^{-\xi^2},$$
in which case ##\left| \psi \right>## is normalizable.

Let me flesh out some of the details of the above examples.

For concreteness, start with ##\xi = x## and ##c\left( x \right) = 1## in the first example in the quote so that

$$\left| \psi \right> = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx \left| x \right>.$$

Then, from the beginning of this post, the position space wave function is

$$\psi \left( x \right) = \left< x | \psi \right> = 1,$$

which is not normalizable since the integral over all space of the constant 1 diverges.

The momentum space wave function for the same ket ##\left| \psi \right>## is

$$\begin{align}
\psi \left( p \right) &= \left< p | \psi \right>\\
&= \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx \left< p | x \right>\\
&= \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx e^{-ipx}\\
&= 2 \pi \delta \left( p \right)\\
&= 2 \pi \delta \left( p - 0 \right)\\
&= 2 \pi \left< p | p=0 \right>,
\end{align}$$

since ##\left< p_1 | p_2 \right> = \delta \left( p_1 - p_2 \right)##. This mean, for my example, ##\left| \psi \right> = \left| p=0 \right>##.

Note that ##\psi \left( x \right) = 1## is consistent with the position space momentum eigenstate ##\psi \left( x \right) = e^{ipx}## for ##p=0##.

I have rushed this in order to finish before going to a meeting that I now have to attend, so I hope that I haven't made too many mistakes. Also, this means that I haven't been able to give any of the details of the example from my previous post, which is normalizable.

Likes vanhees71

1. What does it mean for a wave function to have a continuum basis?

A wave function with a continuum basis is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of a continuous range of values, rather than a discrete set of values. This is often used to describe systems with infinite degrees of freedom, such as a particle in a potential well.

2. Why are some wave functions with a continuum basis non-normalizable?

A wave function is considered non-normalizable if its integral over all space does not converge to a finite value. This can happen when the wave function has an infinite number of possible values, making it impossible to normalize.

3. Are all wave functions with a continuum basis non-normalizable?

No, not all wave functions with a continuum basis are non-normalizable. Some wave functions, such as the Gaussian wave function, have a continuous basis and are still normalizable.

4. What implications does non-normalizability have on the physical interpretation of a wave function?

Non-normalizability can make it difficult to interpret the physical meaning of a wave function, as it implies that the probability of finding the system in any particular state is infinite. This can also lead to mathematical inconsistencies in calculations.

5. Can non-normalizable wave functions still be used in physics?

Yes, non-normalizable wave functions can still be used in certain cases, such as when describing systems with infinite degrees of freedom. However, they must be treated with caution and their physical interpretation may be limited.