Are complete cycles in trigonometry always 360 degrees?

• Thread starter Inertialforce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the period of trigonometric functions varies depending on the function. Sine and cosine have a period of 2kπ, while tangent and cotangent have a period of kπ. When solving equations involving these functions, it is important to take into account their specific periods.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

When dealing with periods and amplitudes in trigonometry, are all complete cycles (for cosine, sine, and tan functions) considered to be 360(degrees)?

I'm just wondering, because I want to make sure now so that I can apply it to the appropriate questions when the time comes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is the right thing for you: http://catcode.com/trig/trig09.html

Also the period of the trigonometric functions is not same for all of them.

sin(x) and cos(x) have 2k[itex]\pi[/itex] period and tg(x) and ctg(x) have k[itex]\pi[/itex] period.

So if you have:
sinx=a:
[tex]x=\begin{bmatrix}
arcsin(a)+2k\pi\\
\pi - arcsin(a)+2k\pi
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
cosx=a:
[tex]x=\begin{bmatrix}
\pm arccos(a)+2k\pi \\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
tgx=a:
[tex]x=\begin{bmatrix}
arctg(a) + k\pi \\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
ctgx=a
[tex]x=\begin{bmatrix}
arcctg(a) + k\pi \\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I hope this helped you.

In trigonometry, a complete cycle is defined as one full revolution around the unit circle, which is equivalent to 360 degrees or 2π radians. This applies to all trigonometric functions, including cosine, sine, and tangent. Therefore, when dealing with periods and amplitudes in trigonometry, it is safe to assume that one complete cycle is equal to 360 degrees. However, it is important to note that sometimes, problems may involve angles greater than 360 degrees, in which case the concept of periodicity can be applied to find the equivalent angle within one complete cycle. It is always best to clarify with your instructor or refer to the specific problem for any variations in the unit of measurement.

Related to Are complete cycles in trigonometry always 360 degrees?

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How do I use trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be used to solve problems involving measurements of height, distances, and angles. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a building or the distance between two points.

What is the unit circle and how is it used in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used in trigonometry to simplify calculations and to visualize the relationships between the trigonometric functions and angles.

What are the primary trigonometric functions?

The primary trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle.