Are Decimal Points As Significant In Population Dynamics....

In summary, the VA/UCSF has been doing psych evaluations on veterans for a long time and have found that the majority of veterans in that population have elevated levels of pattern recognition. This was the head of the entire psych department who first had his star pupil test the anonymous person and found them to be in the top 0.003% of the population in that field.
BigDon
TL;DR Summary
Population Dynamics
As they are in engineering and manufacturing?

I ask because during a very deep, post stroke marbles census in came to light that I had an extraordinarily high level of pattern recognition such that the department head said I was in the top .003 percent of the population.

I ran the numbers later and I came up with over 21 million people on Earth just like me. Doesn't seem all that special after that.

What am I not considering or looking at correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
3e-5 * 7e9 = 210000, not 21000000

Simple math ... :smile:

##\ ##

Likes BigDon
Hey, I was only off by a few orders of magnitude! That's the same as a near miss in some circles.

But thank you. :smile: o:)

And simple is relative to the observer I might add. (Einstein just never got around to quantifying it.)

For what it's worth, I doubt almost any properties of humans have actually been studied to a degree where you can actually say you are in the top 0.003%

That would require a study of about 1/.00003=33,000 people.

The phase 3 pfizer trial for their Covid vaccine was about that large, and that was one of the largest drug trials ever. Even then if you get nobody in that trial who exceeds you, you could be only in the top 0.006% and get that result by chance with a pretty high chance. At best you can probably feel confident saying you're in the top 0.01 or 0.015%.

Top 0.003% for human height and weight, sounds plausible. But top 0.003% in pattern recognition sounds like a completely untested claim to me.

Likes jim mcnamara and BvU
Take your complaint up with the Psychology dept. at Ft. Miley Medical Center.

I'm merely parroting what somebody more experienced in the matter than you or I told me.

Likes PeroK
BigDon said:
I'm merely parroting what somebody more experienced in the matter than you or I told me.
Hard for us to confirm that the anonymous person you talked to at Ft. Miley is more knowledgeable in statistics matters than @Office_Shredder.

Well, let's hand walk through this.

(Oh, and I'm not mad or offended btw. As I'm not part of the "everybody gets a trophy" generation it takes more than nice people disagreeing with me to make me mad.)

The VA/UCSF systems has been doing psych evals since as least the early 40's. So they have experience with combat vets from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc, etc.

So right there is easily your 30 odd thousand needed for your numbers to work. This was the head of the entire psych department who first had his star pupil test me, she got up and got the department head after I did so well

She re-administered the test with him watching, scored too high again and then HE administered the test.

I did better each time until I squeaked up into the madcrazy skills range.

That's all I got for you.

Likes BvU
BvU, my mean younger brother, who works for NASA/Ames and is the lead on no less than eight data centers says you were way too nice and a more appropriate reply would have been;

"What, *maff* hard for you?"

(For my friends in foreign climes that's a common mispronunciation by young children in America.)

He uses that a lot of Facebook where necessary

Likes BvU

1. Are decimal points significant in population dynamics?

Yes, decimal points are significant in population dynamics as they represent the precise number of individuals in a population. They also play a crucial role in calculating growth rates and making accurate predictions for future population trends.

2. How do decimal points affect population growth rates?

Decimal points play a significant role in calculating population growth rates. Even a small change in the decimal point can result in a significant difference in the growth rate. Therefore, it is essential to accurately record and consider decimal points when studying population dynamics.

3. Can decimal points impact population predictions?

Yes, decimal points can have a significant impact on population predictions. As population growth rates are calculated using decimal points, any error or inaccuracy in recording them can result in incorrect predictions. Therefore, it is crucial to consider decimal points carefully when making population predictions.

4. How do scientists account for decimal points in population studies?

Scientists use statistical methods and tools to accurately record and analyze decimal points in population studies. These methods help ensure that decimal points are not overlooked and that the data collected is as precise as possible.

5. Are decimal points more important in smaller or larger populations?

Decimal points are equally important in both smaller and larger populations. In smaller populations, even a small change in the decimal point can have a significant impact on growth rates and predictions. In larger populations, decimal points help scientists make more accurate predictions and identify any changes in population trends.