Are journal-specific latex packages compulsory for writing articles for them?

In summary, many journals recommend using their specific latex packages for article submissions, but it may not be mandatory. However, some journals may reject an article or delay the review process if the recommended packages are not used. Learning all the different packages may not be necessary, but they can be useful for determining the length of a paper. Contacting the editorial office for clarification is recommended.
arroy_0205
Many journals encourage authors to use their special latex packages (e.g., revtex4-1 for physical review a,b etc) while sending an article for peer-review process. I am not sure if this is compulsory or optional. Will an article be rejected if it is written not using the special latex packages suggested by the journal but written using plain latex? Or will the journal charge extra if the author does not use the special package for the journal? I know the answers may vary from one journal to another but I am looking for the general response people get.

I am a new researcher and I find there too many journal-specific latex packages to learn. I am not interested in learning majority of them but in learning only those which are useful in general rather than for writing for a specific journal.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are having an issue with. I don't find that I have to "learn" all the different LaTex packages. So having all the different packages doesn't add that much of an effort.

What is advantageous with these packages is that, in cases where you want to know how long your paper will be, they can be very useful. This is particularly true for journals such as PRL, APL, etc. where there is a strict page limit.

Zz.

arroy_0205 said:
<snip>Will an article be rejected if it is written not using the special latex packages suggested by the journal but written using plain latex? <snip>

The editorial office may hold up sending the article out for review if their policies are not followed. If you are not sure, you can contact the editorial office directly with questions.

The initial submission doesn't need to be in print format. Most journals these days convert the latex/word document to some type of xml for final publishing.

I understand your concerns about the use of journal-specific latex packages for writing articles. However, I would like to clarify that while some journals may strongly encourage or recommend the use of their specific latex packages, it is not compulsory to use them.

In most cases, journals accept articles written using plain latex as long as they meet the required formatting and style guidelines. The use of journal-specific latex packages is usually optional and can help in streamlining the submission process, but it is not a requirement for acceptance.

It is also important to note that the decision to accept or reject an article is based on its scientific merit and contribution to the field, rather than the use of a specific latex package. Therefore, an article will not be rejected solely for not using the suggested package.

Furthermore, most journals do not charge extra for not using their specific latex packages. However, some may charge for additional formatting or editing services if the article does not meet their guidelines.

As a new researcher, I would recommend focusing on learning the basics of latex and familiarizing yourself with the general formatting guidelines for scientific articles. This will not only save you time and effort in learning multiple journal-specific packages but also allow you to write for a wider range of journals.

In conclusion, while it is beneficial to use journal-specific latex packages, it is not compulsory for writing articles and will not affect the acceptance of your work. As a scientist, your main focus should be on the quality and contribution of your research rather than the formatting details.

1. Are journal-specific latex packages necessary for writing articles for a specific journal?

It depends on the journal's requirements. Some journals may require the use of their specific latex packages for formatting and styling purposes, while others may have more flexible guidelines.

2. Can I use my own latex packages instead of the journal's recommended ones?

It is best to follow the journal's guidelines and use their recommended latex packages to ensure that your article meets their formatting requirements. However, if you have a valid reason for using your own packages, you may seek approval from the journal's editor.

3. Do all journals have their own latex packages?

No, not all journals require the use of their own latex packages. Some journals may have general formatting guidelines that can be followed using standard latex packages, while others may not have any specific requirements at all.

4. Where can I find the journal-specific latex packages?

You can usually find the journal-specific latex packages on the journal's website or in the author guidelines section. If you are unable to locate them, you can contact the journal's editor for more information.

5. How do I know which latex packages to use for a specific journal?

The journal's website or author guidelines should specify which latex packages to use for formatting your article. If you are still unsure, you can contact the journal's editor for clarification.