Are mixed LCG and combined LCG same thing?

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, there is no difference between "mixed Linear congruential generator" and "combined linear congruential generator". They are both just called "linear congruential generator".
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Linear Congruential Generators
Relevant Equations
Congruence equation
The whole problem arouse because there's no authentic local source. One thing that I need to learn is are these both same thing? Or are different? Is combined LCG also LCG or anything can be called combined method? Even our teachers aren't very sure of it(as they were not the ones who designed this curriculum or know the internal details of the course etc)

Is there any difference between "mixed Linear congruential generator" and "combined linear congruential generator". Are they same thing or different thing?

It's pretty confusing. No 2 books have explained about both topics. No books I've read yet, have talked about both of these.It's getting more confusing as I read more texts about it.
9FJlyaRRvyX24VDHDxP5tMf0QDb4Tg9EKQCh6ZovL1bOtUkM78.png

It says "mixed LCG" or "LCG" are the same thing.
https://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/iucee/ftp/k_26rng.pdf
txkYFUm3oJDZWYDFa29YIOaqGf9Y4H4o9vOtcPkX4TehKVZ6Rc.png

0KGat06CteTOzLYHbC8eA8tcg0J4sODkj3-fy4HLaiYnd82keE.png

CnEPxMFCsv_5usj5UV5QY9Orvh0lG1jUkobvNVUMrSJFtvv0x4.png

https://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~xmeng/Course/CS6337/Note/master/node40.html

9ABP6JYsi_FmQxftPf1ItLwVz82_9rpDhl2Te7mdpY220KOKJs.png

Optical Communication with Chaotic Lasers: Applications of Nonlinear Dynamics and Synchronization
x4-DHiRkep2aFvQUKTC5lj_U6l3o_vuSgWdR8i6MD4CDL0x7vQ.png

Monte Carlo Methods in Financial Engineering

dwW2HgcbImycF7yQ-CrQFmyoLxAG-XRVoAhP0n9OVzGGvNBRs0.png

QHG_KNFkx7DJc4vQ22Ke_qtItNrwym73MB1py3dS5LmbHykVzc.png

Jerry Banks
Fezdzb1AkDJrrVIqlcg6CA7Z718DcpCWMNthXNzngqaY7oxvII.png

Molecular Modeling and Simulation: An Interdisciplinary Guide
By Tamar Schlick
nC8xeb3joFlz1ISNORPlgf_PalQozGDk0XwsDv99g4y9eoJD-8.png

This tells LCG and Mixed LCG is same thing in usage.

PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS - Volume II: Probabilistic Models and Methods ...
edited by Reinhard Viertl

baOKgM2MiJV-UEDB61bPCD4hO6UcqYG4N1A9Tzz65k-iwZq2jc.png

Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Fifth Edition
edited by Khosrow-Pour D.B.A., Mehdi

ScUVpj8D3dyVsEpY4n6Q0DXl8GYnKkGM2OHVeGFACHk1Z5e9Xs.png

jTcwO6vInOx3f1TLVCsbSH09ACEO7A4ylrTdbGqs7Jt2wwgT6M.png

A Guide to Monte Carlo Simulations in Statistical Physics
By David Landau, Kurt Binder

w2pWd5jfISEosatcN3QSraqv9ajHkrv-7_R22R2ASaLUBChWtM.png

Local source
YwVcKrpj4Sedg27A90p5FkzJRxwClm27aXBuW9yUzsww3yvNkc.png

Local source
1659272849471.png

local source

After reading these sources, it feels they're different but my local sources are confusing me. It feels LCGs are specifically just multiplicative and mixed. Whereas, combined Genrators doesn't necessarily named LCG.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not going to read all of that, but I think all your questions are qickly answered by Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator

In short
  • A linear congruential generator (LCG) has the form ## x_{n+1} = (a x_n +c) \bmod m ##.
  • A mixed congruential generator is an LCG with ## c \ne 0 ## (edit: presumably because it has a 'mix' of a multiplicative and constant term).
  • A multiplicative congruential generator (aka Lehmer RNG) is an LCC with ## c = 0 ## (edit because it only has a multiplicative term).
  • A "Combined Linear Congruential Generator" is simply a combination of two or more LCGs: one example is the Wichmann Hill generator I see mentioned in one of your references; again wikipedia has more on these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_linear_congruential_generator
I don't think this is the first time it has turned out that 10 minutes on Wikipedia would have been the best use of your time.

Likes Delta2 and shivajikobardan
Thanks, I'll use wikipedia for confusions like this from now.

1. What is an LCG?

An LCG, or linear congruential generator, is a type of pseudorandom number generator that uses a linear equation to produce a sequence of numbers that appear to be random.

2. What is a mixed LCG?

A mixed LCG is a combination of multiple LCGs that are used together to produce a more complex and unpredictable sequence of numbers.

3. What is a combined LCG?

A combined LCG is a single LCG that has been modified to incorporate elements from other LCGs, resulting in a more robust and secure random number generator.

4. Are mixed LCG and combined LCG the same thing?

No, they are not the same thing. While both involve combining multiple LCGs, mixed LCGs use multiple LCGs separately, while combined LCGs modify a single LCG to incorporate elements from other LCGs.

5. Which is better, mixed LCG or combined LCG?

It depends on the specific use case and the quality of the LCGs being used. In general, combined LCGs tend to be more secure and unpredictable, but both can be effective in generating pseudorandom numbers.