Are Neutrinos Tachyons? The Mystery of Massless Particles Explained

• Thread starter LarryS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Massless
In summary: The first sentence is correct, the second is not. While I will agree that the SM doesn't include undiscovered fields, it certainly permits some, in the sense that some are excluded (a massive vector that doesn't couple to the Higgs) and... some might be included (the neutrino).
LarryS
Gold Member
Are massless particles always their own anti-particle? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this is not a necessity.

So, the Standard Model allows for the hypothetical existence of a particle that has zero mass and is not equal to it's own anti-particle?

Gluons are massless, and come in a variety of flavours which can interact, I'm not sure about the concept of an antigluon.

referframe said:
So, the Standard Model allows for the hypothetical existence of a particle that has zero mass and is not equal to it's own anti-particle?

The standard model is a particular model with a well defined particle content. It does contain a massless particle which is not its own anti-particle in the massless neutrino. It also contains gluons of different sorts which have different colour charges and differently colour charged particles may or may not be considered as different. In addition, all standard model particles are massless before spontaneous symmetry breaking.

Orodruin said:
The standard model is a particular model with a well defined particle content. It does contain a massless particle which is not its own anti-particle in the massless neutrino. It also contains gluons of different sorts which have different colour charges and differently colour charged particles may or may not be considered as different. In addition, all standard model particles are massless before spontaneous symmetry breaking.
Neutrinos are not massless.

mathman said:

Actually they are in the standard model so Orodruin is correct. Massive neutrinos are part of BSM.

Likes nnunn
mathman said:
Neutrinos are massless in the standard model as it does not contain a right-handed neutrino and a neutrino mass cannot be added with any renormalisable and gauge invariant operator. That neutrinos are massive is one of the few indications we have that the standard model does not give the whole picture. This is not very strange as the only gauge invariant dimension five operator you can add gives rise to neutrino masses after electroweak symmetry breaking.

First, two answer the question asked, yes, the SM permits a massless particle that is not its own antiparticle: that is, an extension with these fields could be introduced without breaking something else. However, there is no such particle. My statement is a bit like saying zoology permits a black giraffe - but there aren't any. No reason you couldn't have one. We just don't.

Second, the statement that neutrinos are massless in the SM is something that one heard a lot more after the discovery that neutrinos have mass than before it. Before it, most people probably thought that the SM meant that neutrinos were Dirac particles like every other fermion, and their right handed components were sterile, just as you would expect. Certainly that's what I thought, and what my professors thought. I don't think anyone would have considered this model non-SM at the time.

Vanadium 50 said:
Before it, most people probably thought that the SM meant that neutrinos were Dirac particles like every other fermion, and their right handed components were sterile, just as you would expect.
There is absolutely no reason to expect this. The introduction of the right-handed neutrino field allows it a Majorana mass term, which immediately leads to neutrinos being Majorana, or at the very least pseudo Dirac. This was well known long before the discovery of neutrino oscillations (the seesaw mechanism was introduced in the 70s).

The fact is that the standard model, as it stands, does not include a right-handed neutrino and therefore no neutrino masses. That this is not a correct description of nature is a different story. Also note that the standard model was only brought into this after the OPs second post, where the standard model is first mentioned. There are two separate questions here: 1) Does the standard model contain a massless particle which is not its own anti-particle? and 2) do we know of any such particle?

The answer to the first question is yes and as I mentioned earlier, depending on how you consider particles with different colour charge, you might not even need the neutrino to answer this. The second question excludes the neutrino. The problem as i see it is that the OP introduced the question as "so the standard model allows". The standard model does not say anything about hypothetical particles or fields which are not part of it.

Likes nnunn
I was there. That's what people were thinking back then. Another thing that will probably shock you is that they idea that one should work with Weyl fields instead of Dirac fields hadn't caught on, and the chiral nature of the weak force was placed in the coupling, not in the fields themselves. That's just how it was.

While I will agree that the SM doesn't include undiscovered fields, it certainly permits some, in the sense that some are excluded (a massive vector that doesn't couple to the Higgs) and some are not excluded.

Likes nnunn
Vanadium 50 said:
While I will agree that the SM doesn't include undiscovered fields, it certainly permits some, in the sense that some are excluded (a massive vector that doesn't couple to the Higgs) and some are not excluded.

But this is exactly what I would argue against. The SM as it stands is what it is, with a well defined field content. As such it does not permit any new fields as introducing new fields changes the model and then it is no longer the SM but a SM extension. I guess this is mostly semantics though.

Interesting discussion. Learning Particle Physics and the Standard Model is on my bucket list.

Question: Is the original Dirac Equation still relevant to my question? Because, during the derivation of that equation, the matter-antimatter duality arises only after the mass term is introduced - when the 2X2 Pauli Matrices are not sufficient and the 4X4 Dirac Matrices become necessary. This seems to imply that anti-matter is strictly mass related.

referframe said:
Interesting discussion. Learning Particle Physics and the Standard Model is on my bucket list.

Question: Is the original Dirac Equation still relevant to my question? Because, during the derivation of that equation, the matter-antimatter duality arises only after the mass term is introduced - when the 2X2 Pauli Matrices are not sufficient and the 4X4 Dirac Matrices become necessary. This seems to imply that anti-matter is strictly mass related.

There is no particle-antiparticle “duality”, because they both interact with equal strengths. The two (particle-antiparticle) are related by charge conjugation and being massive or massless has no relevance here. As for your original question, it is now well established that all SM particles are in fact massless and some of them appear massive to us because of the way they move through the Higgs field.

Test

I don't know why, but I can't post my arxiv link :-(
The paper is called "six observations consistent with the electron neutrino being a tachyon with mass ##m_{e_{\nu}}^2 = -0.11 \pm .016 \text {eV}##

Last edited:
Anyway, that's a paper I ran into during my particle physics class last fall. It had no application to the class, and my prof basically told me to shut up when I asked about it, but I thought it was pretty neat.

One more shot at the hodge podge link :-/
htt p://arxi v.org/abs/1408.2804
Sorry about the spaces, the link exists, google neutrinos tachyons arxiv and its the first link. I'm not sure why I can't link to it.

Related to Are Neutrinos Tachyons? The Mystery of Massless Particles Explained

What are massless anti-particles?

Massless anti-particles are particles that have no mass. They are the antiparticles of particles that do have mass, such as electrons and protons.

Do massless anti-particles exist?

Yes, massless anti-particles do exist. They have been discovered and studied in experiments involving high energy particles and particle accelerators.

How do massless anti-particles differ from particles with mass?

Massless anti-particles have the same properties as their counterparts with mass, such as charge and spin, but they do not have a rest mass. This means they travel at the speed of light and do not experience time or distance in the same way as particles with mass.

What is the importance of studying massless anti-particles?

Studying massless anti-particles can help us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the laws of physics. They also have practical applications, such as in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

Are massless anti-particles related to dark matter or dark energy?

No, massless anti-particles are not directly related to dark matter or dark energy. However, their behavior and interactions can provide insights into these mysterious phenomena.