Are ocean levels uniform across all bodies of water?

• Thread starter Jingo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ocean
In summary, my friend argues that sea levels should only be compared to islands, and that if one island is experiencing an increase in ocean levels then the surrounding ones should likewise. My position is that if there are several other islands close by then surely a change in the oil level of one would be reflected in the others. Natural phenomena can keep an ocean at various levels, and differences in temperature/density/salinity can change the level of water in one localized area with respect to the surrounding area.
Jingo
My friend and I are arguing about sea levels in relation to global warming. I argue that if one island is experiencing an increase in ocean levels then the surrounding ones should likewise.

Apart from tidal effects, atmospheric low/high pressures, contained inlets etc, do not all bodies of water reach the same level regardless of the size or shape of the vessel?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sort of depends where you are measuring from!
The Earth bulges out around the equator so sea level at the equator is 100km further from the centre than the arctic. You normally compare sea level to an average shape of the Earth (geoid).
But the sea level does differ by upto a metre because of different density/temperature/salinity etc.

It also varies from country-country depending on what historical level they measure from. Famously there was a freeway built from Austria/Switzerland that didn't line up because of this

O.K. I see how it is relative from the point one is measuring from so let's use the island as a benchmark.
To me an island is a giant dipstick giving you the oil level of the ocean at that location. If there are several other islands close by then surely a change in the oil level of one would be reflected in the others. Are there natural phenomena that can keep an ocean at various levels?
Also I don't understand how differences in temperature/density/salinity can change the level of water in one localized area with respect to the surrounding area. example: if I heat one end of my swimming pool with my giant magma plasma gun I wouldn't see a bulge in the water the overall water depth would increase, would it not? Same with adding salt or dropping in a large object.
Wow would it suck being the engineer on that bridge!
Thanks.

Not all islands are created equal. For example, except for Banaba, most of the Kiribati is at most 6 meters or so above sea level. The Carribean isles, even the small ones, will not suffer Kiribati's fate because they are mountainous (or at least hilly).

Jingo said:
O.K. I see how it is relative from the point one is measuring from so let's use the island as a benchmark.
To me an island is a giant dipstick giving you the oil level of the ocean at that location. If there are several other islands close by then surely a change in the oil level of one would be reflected in the others. Are there natural phenomena that can keep an ocean at various levels?

Yes. Currents, for example, can push large masses of water around to make a substantial difference in sea level on opposite sides of an ocean.

When you are talking about the global warming effect, the changes in sea level are measured in millimeters per year. (About 3.2 mm/year over recent decades)

In the short term, this change is overwelmed by regional differences. For example, the El Nino, La Nina cycle involves changes in mean sea level at the Pacific Island of Guam of several hundred millimeters, between a La Nina year and an El Nino year. There's a large shift in the mass of water between the East and West of the Pacific.

Also, just to confound your measurements, individual islands can move up and down themselves. The surface of the Earth is not stable on these scales, and in some places the rate at which land itself is rising or falling is larger than the rate at which sea level is rising as the oceans heat up with global warming.

Cheers -- sylas

Thanks guys I think I've caught the flaw in my reasoning. I'm thinking in terms of a closed system. Thinking that the laws governing a small vessel should scale up equally but not taking into account all the other factors that come into play when the scale gets that large.
Humble pie yummy, yummy!
Thanks again and great site.

Related to Are ocean levels uniform across all bodies of water?

1. What do you mean by "all one level" in relation to the ocean?

By "all one level", we mean that the surface of the ocean appears to be flat and uniform, with no noticeable variations in elevation or topography.

2. Is the ocean really all one level or are there some differences in elevation?

While the surface of the ocean may appear flat, there are actually small variations in elevation due to factors such as tides, currents, and wind. However, these changes in elevation are relatively minor compared to the overall size of the ocean.

3. How is the level of the ocean measured?

The level of the ocean is typically measured using devices called tide gauges, which record the water level at a specific location. These measurements are then used to create global sea level datasets.

4. Can the level of the ocean change over time?

Yes, the level of the ocean can change over time due to a variety of factors such as climate change, tectonic activity, and human influences. For example, sea levels have risen significantly in recent decades due to the melting of polar ice caps and glaciers.

5. Is the ocean level the same all over the world?

No, the level of the ocean can vary from place to place due to differences in ocean currents, wind patterns, and other factors. Additionally, local factors such as temperature and salinity can also affect the density of the water and thus its level.