Are Open Source Software and Compulsory Voting the Solution to Secure Elections?

In summary, because of the security loopholes in Windows, experts say that it is not safe to use voting machines that are not hooked up to the internet. There are no tests that can be used to be sure the machine accurately records every vote, and because of this, it is possible for people to cheat in the voting process.
arydberg
Why don't they mandate that all voting machines use open source software. They seem to use PC's presumedly with the windows OS. To me this is a perfect cheating machine. You give your vote to the programmer and then it is all up to him or her. There are no tests that can be used to be sure the machine accurately records every vote.

Technology news on Phys.org
arydberg said:
There are no tests that can be used to be sure the machine accurately records every vote.
Of course there are, and those tests are done.

arydberg said:
Why don't they mandate that all voting machines use open source software. They seem to use PC's presumedly with the windows OS. To me this is a perfect cheating machine. You give your vote to the programmer and then it is all up to him or her. There are no tests that can be used to be sure the machine accurately records every vote.
I agree. In addition to that, from wikipedia:
Critics contend that the voting machines in use today are too old and may threaten the integrity of the voting process. According to an October 2015 study by the Brennan Center for Justice, 43 states were expected to use voting equipment that would be over 10 years old in the 2016 election cycle. The report claimed that replacement parts are difficult to find for these machines because of their age, and that while elections officials in 31 states stated a desire to purchase new machines, 22 of them also said they "did not know where they would get the money to pay for them."

mfb said:
But given the security holes in Windows, do you think the machines are really secure? I guess if they are not hooked to the internet they would be but I don't know if they are isolated like that.

mfb said:
What are they? How do you test a machine that is 100% accurate until one unique event trips a change that can change everything? Like the wrong person winning... or even a certain ballot marked in a preset way? or change due to the time of day.

Applications other than voting provide lots of motivation to cheat. ATMs for example. But the voting problem has two enormous obstacles that other apps don't share.

1. The secret ballot. No audit trail is possible. Printed receipts make voters vulnerable to vote buying and or intimidation.
  2. Distributed voting precincts, make it necessary for the front line control and operation be in the hands of amateur volunteers with little training. Every cyber security strategy begins with the premise, "the bad guys must not have physical access to the machines."

I don't think voting machines are good. But it's not like you just put those machines there and then blindly trust them. They are tested in many ways.

You should watch Tom Scott's video about electronic voting. He completely nailed the problems.

1) Every place in the US I have seen uses electronic counting of paper ballots.
2) Every electronic voting machine in the US I have seen produces paper ballots in addition to electronic counting.

Why is (1) OK but (2) dangerous?

voting_machines.png

https://xkcd.com/463/

Ahh yes there is an XKCD comic for everything!

I do think that the objections that people raise about computer voting machines is a bit of a fallacy. There are issues with them for sure, but then again there are significant issues with how votes are counted now. (In Canada its all paper slips counted by hand) The current system is just as vulnerable to outside nefarious influence as a computer system would be.
Just because a system has flaws doesn't mean it isn't good. (think seatbelts, they aren't perfect but we still use them cause they are better than the alternative)

But if you used open source custom software and hardware, and kept everything audited and monitored I would think that we would be better off :)

If you want to cheat you can always do that, even with physical counting...
I had participated once in a votes counting, and together with the rest counters, we "cancelled" a lot of votes (even those we shouldn't have).
So yes, I would trust more the job to a PC... and I don't understand why uploading the data online is something dangerous, especially if nobody has physical access to the computers involved.

Vanadium 50 said:
1) Every place in the US I have seen uses electronic counting of paper ballots.
2) Every electronic voting machine in the US I have seen produces paper ballots in addition to electronic counting.

Why is (1) OK but (2) dangerous?

I was in a Connecticut poling place helping a blind friend vote and they did not use paper ballots.

block chain voting is the future!

arydberg said:
I was in a Connecticut poling place helping a blind friend vote and they did not use paper ballots.

Interesting, since Ballotpedia says they use paper ballots, and I have found many sample paper ballots online. Do you mean just for the blind?

I think the main problem with online voting is that there will always be a market for votes.
People who really don't care about who gets elected will be happy to get $5 when they were not going to bother with voting anyway.
As far as I know Australia has a system where making a vote is compulsory, but I don't think anyone has yet been prosecuted because they didn't.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Interesting, since Ballotpedia says they use paper ballots, and I have found many sample paper ballots online. Do you mean just for the blind?
No.

My favorite is the mechanical lever voting machine. Totals are read out on mechanical counters. They aren't perfect, but if someone rigs a machine to give false answers, the evidence remains for post-election investigations to discover. Also, to modify all the machines old one at a time, would take massive labor and time.

The reason that lever machines are unpopular is that they are a maintenance nightmare. I wonder why nobody ever made an electric (not electronic, not digital) equivalent of the lever machine. It would be easier to maintain. Alteration would have to be done with a soldering gun leaving visible evidence of the alteration behind that non experts could fifind

LeverVotingMachineBooth.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

voting_machine_warehouse.jpg

Likes mfb
rootone said:
I think the main problem with online voting is that there will always be a market for votes.
People who really don't care about who gets elected will be happy to get $5 when they were not going to bother with voting anyway.
As far as I know Australia has a system where making a vote is compulsory, but I don't think anyone has yet been prosecuted because they didn't.

In Belgium voting itself isn't compulsory, you are obliged to show up at the polling station though and enter a cubicle.
Sometimes people get fined but not to often if I'm not mistaken.
We usually meet up in the afternoon and go for a pint afterwards, that way some good comes out of it :)

Related to Are Open Source Software and Compulsory Voting the Solution to Secure Elections?

What are the potential benefits of using computers as voting machines?

One potential benefit is increased efficiency and accuracy in vote counting. Computers can quickly process large amounts of data and reduce the likelihood of human error. Additionally, voting machines can provide accessibility features for individuals with disabilities, such as audio or visual assistance.

What are the potential risks of using computers as voting machines?

One potential risk is the possibility of hacking or tampering with the voting machines, which could compromise the integrity of the election results. There is also a concern about the reliability and security of the software used in the voting machines. In some cases, there may also be a lack of a paper trail, making it difficult to verify the accuracy of the results.

How do voting machines ensure the confidentiality of each vote?

Voting machines typically use encryption techniques to ensure the confidentiality of each vote. This means that the vote is scrambled in a way that makes it unreadable to anyone who does not have the decryption key. Additionally, voting machines are typically designed to prevent anyone from seeing how an individual voted.

How are voting machines tested and certified?

Voting machines are tested and certified by independent organizations to ensure they meet specific security and reliability standards. These tests may include source code reviews, functional testing, and vulnerability assessments. Once a machine is certified, it must also undergo regular maintenance and testing to ensure it continues to meet these standards.

What are some alternatives to using computers as voting machines?

Some alternatives to using computers as voting machines include paper ballots, mail-in voting systems, and hybrid systems that combine electronic and paper-based voting methods. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice often depends on the specific needs and resources of a particular election. Ultimately, the most important factor is to ensure a secure and accurate voting process for all individuals.