CO2 and Oxygen LevelsAre oxygen levels declining due to increasing CO2 levels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between increasing CO2 levels and decreasing O2 levels. The speaker notes that this seems to be a basic chemistry concept, as the burning of fossil fuels produces CO2 and requires O2. They mention the only source of O2 being plants, which use CO2 to produce it. Another person adds that this observation was mentioned in the IPCC's 4th assessment report, with a small decrease in O2 levels being observed in correlation with the rise in CO2. The difficulty in measuring this is also mentioned, as CO2 is measured in parts per million while O2 is measured in percent. However, it is noted that CO2 levels vary throughout the year due to seasonal changes in photosynthesis.
boomerang
This was prompted by another thread which got me thinking.

If CO2 levels are increasing then surely O2 levels must be decreasing?

I mean I am just going by basic chemistry, we have hydrocarbons (fossil fuels) where
are being burnt and I believe the basic formula is:-

Hydrogen and Carbon (from fossil fuels) + O2 (from atmosphere)= CO2 + H20.

So it would seem to a 'layman' like me that if CO2 is increasing then O2 must be decreasing?

The only source of O2 that I am aware of is plants, but I believe they have to take CO2
out of the atmosphere to make O2, so if CO2 is increasing then O2 (oxygen) must be decreasing?

I did a bit of chemistry so I think that is right.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
boomerang said:
This was prompted by another thread which got me thinking.

If CO2 levels are increasing then surely O2 levels must be decreasing?

I remember having read such an observation somewhere in the 4th assesment report of the IPCC (physical basis blah blah). One sees indeed a small decrease in O2 levels qualitatively in correlation with the CO2 rise, although it is at the limit of what is measurable.

Ie, remember that CO2 concentration is measured in parts per million while O2 is measured in percent.

russ_watters said:
Ie, remember that CO2 concentration is measured in parts per million while O2 is measured in percent.

Yes, that's why this observation was so difficult...

[tex]CO_2[/tex] concetrations vary from winter to summer in a given year - peaking in winter; lower in summer due to increased photosynthesis during spring and summer.

Due in part to the northern hemisphere has more vegetated land mass than does the southern hemisphere.

FWIW.

1. Why are oxygen levels declining?

Oxygen levels are declining due to human activities such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes. These activities release large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which traps heat and contributes to climate change. As a result, the ocean's ability to absorb oxygen is reduced, leading to a decline in oxygen levels.

2. How do scientists measure oxygen levels?

Scientists use various methods to measure oxygen levels, including sampling and analyzing air and water samples, using remote sensing techniques such as satellites, and deploying buoys and sensors in the ocean. These measurements allow scientists to track changes in oxygen levels over time and identify areas of concern.

3. What are the consequences of declining oxygen levels?

Declining oxygen levels can have severe consequences for marine life, as many species rely on oxygen to survive. It can also lead to the growth of oxygen-depleted "dead zones" in the ocean, which can harm ecosystems and fisheries. Additionally, low oxygen levels can impact human health, as it can cause respiratory problems and contribute to the formation of smog.

4. Are all areas experiencing declining oxygen levels?

No, not all areas are experiencing declining oxygen levels. Some regions, such as coastal areas and certain parts of the open ocean, are more susceptible to oxygen depletion due to factors like nutrient pollution and warming waters. However, overall, oxygen levels are declining in many parts of the world, including both marine and terrestrial environments.

5. What can be done to address declining oxygen levels?

To address declining oxygen levels, we need to reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change. This can include transitioning to renewable energy sources, reducing carbon emissions, and protecting and restoring natural habitats. Additionally, implementing sustainable fishing practices and reducing nutrient pollution can help improve oxygen levels in the ocean.