Are Pay Toilets on Airplanes Becoming a Reality?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplanes
In summary: And a sauna. Maybe a masseuse?In summary, Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary suggests that in the future, passengers might have to pay to use the airline's toilets. He also joked about charging disabled passengers for the use of wheel chairs.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Surely, they wouldn't dare?

Is a bathroom an optional extra when you're at 30,000 feet? Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary seems to think so — and says his no-frills airline might charge customers to use its aircrafts' toilets.

O'Leary whipped up a frenzy of indignation and potty humor Friday as he suggested that future Ryanair passengers might be obliged to insert a British pound coin before they gain access to in-flight relief.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090227/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_ryanair_pay_toilets

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Better carry exact change then.

(Maybe that's why those Hale Bop travelers had rolls of quarters in their pockets?)

How would they react if a passenger relieved him/her self on the plane leaving a puddle of urine flowing in a channel along the aisle? Would you get fined or arrested?

Two words: pickle jar

Evo said:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090227/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_ryanair_pay_toilets
Michael O'Leary is an incredibly arrogant person. He'd do it just to revel in the controversy it created.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the drinks be free now??

edward said:
Will the drinks be free now??
Only the beer and coffee.

waht said:
How would they react if a passenger relieved him/her self on the plane leaving a puddle of urine flowing in a channel along the aisle? Would you get fined or arrested?
This is the image that came to my mind. Actually, although this particular idea is unseemly, I like the idea of unbundling the fare structure. I would prepare for flights by making sure to go before I go and then just pay as many times as necessary. On a short flight my fare, in principal at least, would be cheaper and on long flights, no more expensive. Let's see, that's $149 for taking off, and $399 for landing.

turbo-1 said:
Only the beer and coffee.

OMG wheres the pickle jar?

Just imagine a plane landing in Edinburgh and you're standing in front of the Terminal gate doors when it lands and the restrooms are directly behind you...

Evo said:

I think you've been had, Evo!

A Ryanair spokesman reported on BBC radio news has said that Michael O'Leary was just taking the **** :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
I think you've been had, Evo!

A Ryanair spokesman reported on BBC radio news has said that Michael O'Leary was just taking the **** :biggrin:
The article said he might be joking. :wink:

Ryanair are notorious publicity hounds, they get 10x as much press as the other UK budget airlines because Mr O'Leary is extremely good at pulling the strings of the newspapers.

I'd gladly pay $1.50 to use the bathroom on a plane!

It had better be...

• Very clean. I don't want to have to mop the seat before I sit down .
  • Nicely decorated. A little marble would be nice...or how about some teak? The lighting should be soft...maybe, candles? An understated chandelier would be a nice touch.
  • Roomy. I should be able to do jumping jacks in there, with room to spare.
  • A hot tub would be appreciated. And a sauna. Maybe a masseuse?

Oh yeah, I'd pay a buck-fifty for that.

Will they only carry British passengers with British coins or they will have like 10 different slots?

Evo said:
The article said he might be joking. :wink:
He wasn't joking when he wanted to charge disabled passengers for the use of wheel chairs. He went to court with that one and lost.

He wasn't joking about this charge either.

Stephen McNamara, from Ryanair, tried to play down Mr O’Leary’s announcement yesterday saying his boss frequently made “a lot of this stuff up as he goes along,” but did admit the idea was “discussed internally”.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ryanairrsquos-lsquowee-feersquo-14207987.html

It seems the company might have been embarrassed by the negative publicity.

Art said:
He wasn't joking when he wanted to charge disabled passengers for the use of wheel chairs. He went to court with that one and lost.
The airport charges the airline (18GBP=$25)- idea was to embarrass BAA (the airport owner) into dropping the charges to the airline. There was accusations that the airport were pushing wheelchairs onto passengers who didn't need them and then billing the airlines.
BAA got taken to court for breaking disability discrimination laws, but on a technicality they were allowed to make the airline pay 50% of the cost.

BAA are the reason flying in the UK is so bad. They were a government monopoly that was privatised, they now own an control all the major airports. they couldn't be split up because the airports were vital to the country - right upto the point that BAA was sold to a Spanish company.

lisab said:
I'd gladly pay $1.50 to use the bathroom on a plane!

It had better be...

• Very clean. I don't want to have to mop the seat before I sit down .
  • Nicely decorated. A little marble would be nice...or how about some teak? The lighting should be soft...maybe, candles? An understated chandelier would be a nice touch.
  • Roomy. I should be able to do jumping jacks in there, with room to spare.
  • A hot tub would be appreciated. And a sauna. Maybe a masseuse?

Oh yeah, I'd pay a buck-fifty for that.

I'd pay $5.00 if they made it...roomier.

What are pay toilets on airplanes?

Pay toilets on airplanes are toilets that require passengers to pay a fee to use them. They are commonly found on budget airlines and some international flights.

Why do airplanes have pay toilets?

Airplanes have pay toilets to help cover the costs of operating and maintaining the toilets, as well as to generate additional revenue for the airline.

How much does it usually cost to use a pay toilet on an airplane?

The cost of using a pay toilet on an airplane can vary, but it is typically around $1-2 USD. Some airlines may also offer the option to purchase a pass for unlimited use during the flight.

Do all airlines have pay toilets on their airplanes?

No, not all airlines have pay toilets on their airplanes. It is more common on budget airlines, but some full-service airlines also have them on select flights.

Are there any alternatives to using pay toilets on airplanes?

Yes, many airlines still offer a few free toilets on their planes, typically located at the front and back of the aircraft. Some airlines also offer the option to purchase a premium seat that includes access to a dedicated toilet.

Back