Are Protons Shrinking? Friends Investigate Implications

• Thread starter Saxon Violence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary, the conversation revolved around a video from 2010 that suggested protons may be smaller than previously thought. The group discusses whether this has been proven or disproven and the potential implications of such a finding. The conversation is cut short as the topic is deemed to be speculation and against the rules of the forum.
Saxon Violence
Friends,

I came across an old (2010) "U" Tube video. It said that recent studies indicated that Protons may actually be about 4% smaller than previously thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnnnJlXvwN8&list=UUvBqzzvUBLCs8Y7Axb-jZew

{Anyone know whether this has been corroborated or disproven?}

Just for phun:

Suppose that the old measurement was correct, but that Protons are actually getting smaller. What are the larger implications?

Cases:

A.} It was a one-time-only event.

B.} Protons (and presumably other subatomic particles) oscillate in size, but within relatively narrow limits.

C.} Protons continue to get ever smaller

Also,

D.} What if there are Entanglement Phenomena? {i.e. Protons all over the Universe shrink or grow simultaneously.} What would this imply?

I just wondered if there would be any interesting, calculable and knowable consequences for any of these cases.

{Y'all don't mind me spelling it "Phun" do you? I use that to mean the enjoyment of contemplating hypothetical situations.}

Thanks.

Saxon Violence

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, speculation such as this is not permissible per PF rules. Please stick to questions about mainstream science, not what-ifs that require changing the known laws of nature. Thread locked.

1. What is the significance of protons shrinking?

The size of protons is one of the fundamental constants in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. If protons were to shrink, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of matter.

2. How do scientists measure the size of protons?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the size of protons, including scattering experiments and spectroscopy. These experiments involve colliding particles with protons and analyzing the resulting interactions to determine their size.

3. What evidence is there for protons shrinking?

Recent experiments have shown evidence that the size of protons is slightly smaller than previously thought. This includes measurements of electron-proton scattering and the Lamb shift, which both suggest a smaller proton radius.

4. What are the potential implications of protons shrinking?

The shrinking of protons would challenge our current understanding of the strong nuclear force and could potentially lead to a revision of the standard model of particle physics. It could also have implications for the stability of atoms and the formation of elements in the early universe.

5. How are scientists investigating this phenomenon?

Scientists are using a variety of experimental techniques and theoretical models to further investigate the shrinking of protons. This includes new and more precise measurements, as well as simulations and calculations to better understand the possible implications of this phenomenon.

Back