Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

In summary: Thanks for clarifying.In summary, Ribosomes are complexes of protein and RNA. They are responsible for the reading of codons (a sequence of three nucleotides) in DNA.
hivesaeed4
Hi,

The question is the same as the title :

Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

I read that in a book and though I have no idea what ribosomes are made of I thought it did'nt make sense that they are complexes of protein and DNA.

Help?

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes.

hivesaeed4 said:
I read that in a book and though I have no idea what ribosomes are made of I thought it did'nt make sense that they are complexes of protein and DNA.

What made you think that it didn't make sense?

I don't know. At that time it just seemed counter-intuitive. Anyway, thanks guys.

Well what didn't make sense to me was the thread title asked about RNA, but the details asked about DNA. Which did you actually mean?

atyy said:
Well what didn't make sense to me was the thread title asked about RNA, but the details asked about DNA. Which did you actually mean?

Oh right. Now that you mention it, I realized that I misread DNA for RNA in the actual message after reading the title.

Yes,ribosomes are made of ribosomal RNA and proteins.The role of these two is to create chemical repulsion(and attraction) between the two parts that make up a ribosome(small and large one),they open up and close like a mouth,and on each bite they read a codon(sequence of three nucleotides).

They are proteins made of single stranded RNA (Ribonucleic Acid). RNA has one more oxygen molecule than DNA hence the name Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

BlackTentacle said:
They are proteins made of single stranded RNA (Ribonucleic Acid).

Proteins and RNA are two different types of macromolecules. Neither is made of the other.

BlackTentacle said:
RNA has one more oxygen molecule than DNA hence the name Deoxyribonucleic Acid.

I wouldn't call it an oxygen 'molecule', rather a hydroxyl group (-OH) at the second carbon of the ribose sugar

mishrashubham said:
Proteins and RNA are two different types of macromolecules. Neither is made of the other.

Yes sorry I meant from RNA.

Related to Are ribosomes complexes of protein and RNA?

1. What is the function of ribosomes?

Ribosomes are responsible for protein synthesis in cells. They read the genetic information from mRNA and use tRNA to assemble amino acids into a polypeptide chain.

2. Are ribosomes made up of only protein and RNA?

No, ribosomes are composed of both protein and RNA molecules. The protein makes up about 40% of the ribosome, while the remaining 60% is made up of ribosomal RNA (rRNA).

3. How are ribosomes formed?

Ribosomes are formed in the nucleolus of a cell, where rRNA molecules are transcribed from DNA and combined with ribosomal proteins. They then exit the nucleus and assemble into functional ribosomes in the cytoplasm.

4. Can ribosomes be found in all types of cells?

Yes, ribosomes are essential components of all cells, including prokaryotes (bacteria) and eukaryotes (plants, animals, and fungi).

5. Are ribosomes the same size in all cells?

No, ribosomes can vary in size depending on the type of cell. For example, prokaryotic ribosomes are smaller than eukaryotic ribosomes. Additionally, ribosomes can differ in size depending on the type of protein being synthesized.