Are Rubber Bands in Parallel Affected by Spring Constant?

In summary: Because I'm saying that in the experiment the length of the rubber band was same all the time and the temperature was negligible so do i still take those into account?
dilpreet28
Hey

I am doing an experiment, checking how the spring constant of a rubber band relates to the spring constant of rubber bands in parallel. I calculated the gradient of a F vs x, graph i got a -0.0853 for the first rubber band, -0.0791 & -0.088 for the 2nd and the 3rd. Then i did them in parallel and did the same graph and got a constant value of -0.022.
This is confusing because i though that k(total) = k(1) + k(2) + k(3), for springs in parallel shouldn't this also apply to the rubber bands?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey dilpreet28! welcome to pf! :smile:
dilpreet28 said:
… I calculated the gradient of a F vs x, graph i got a -0.0853 for the first rubber band, -0.0791 & -0.088 for the 2nd and the 3rd. Then i did them in parallel and did the same graph and got a constant value of -0.022.
This is confusing because i though that k(total) = k(1) + k(2) + k(3), for springs in parallel shouldn't this also apply to the rubber bands?

hmmph, that's odd :confused:

three bands pulling side-by-side obviously give more force for the same extension

are you sure it wasn't -0.22 ?​

Ahhh, i realized that i had force on the x axis, so i was calculating x/F so 1/k, when i switched the axis it worked.
Also i had another question, can i apply the formula for polymers F = (k*T*x)/L where t= temperature, x = length stretched, L = length of polymer, as rubber bands are made out of a couple of polymers would i be rationalise rubber bands using that formula instead of hooke's law as rubber is a non-hookean material?

dilpreet28 said:
Ahhh, i realized that i had force on the x axis, so i was calculating x/F so 1/k, when i switched the axis it worked.

he he :biggrin:
Also i had another question, can i apply the formula for polymers F = (k*T*x)/L where t= temperature, x = length stretched, L = length of polymer, as rubber bands are made out of a couple of polymers would i be rationalise rubber bands using that formula instead of hooke's law as rubber is a non-hookean material?

oooh i don't know :confused:

i had no idea rubber bands were so complicated :redface:

I'd think you'd have to couple several polymers together in a network to really simulate a rubberband.

Let's do the thermodynamic output of stretching too.

Yea i know that i would have to take into account that there are multiple polymers in a rubber band, i just not some research backing me up on the experiment, i can't seem to find anything on the internet that states anything about the relationship of rubber bands being linera or what sort of law they follow and the polymer thing is the closest i have come to in terms of theories.

By the thermodynamic out of stretching did you mean the heat that is produced by the rubber bands and when it's un-stretched it absorbs heat, thus making if feel cool

I think heneryobio is a spambot

dilpreet28 said:
Yea i know that i would have to take into account that there are multiple polymers in a rubber band, i just not some research backing me up on the experiment, i can't seem to find anything on the internet that states anything about the relationship of rubber bands being linera or what sort of law they follow and the polymer thing is the closest i have come to in terms of theories.

By the thermodynamic out of stretching did you mean the heat that is produced by the rubber bands and when it's un-stretched it absorbs heat, thus making if feel cool

I'm fairly sure both stretching and contracting the membrane produce heat.

chapter 9 has polymer networks:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/0471757128.fmatter/summary

Hmm.. i'll look into that

with the equation above(k=C=constant) F = (k*T*x)L
could i take out T and L as they are constant? so F=k*x?
is that reasonable or do i have to say F = C*k*x where c = T/L ?
Because I'm saying that in the experiment the length of the rubber band was same all the time and the temperature was negligible so do i still take those into account?

Related to Are Rubber Bands in Parallel Affected by Spring Constant?

1. What is the purpose of using rubber bands in parallel?

The purpose of using rubber bands in parallel is to increase the overall strength and durability of the rubber bands. By combining multiple rubber bands together in parallel, the force is distributed across them, making them less likely to break or snap under pressure.

2. How do you set up rubber bands in parallel?

To set up rubber bands in parallel, you will need to take multiple rubber bands and line them up side by side. Then, tie or clip the ends together to create a parallel arrangement. The more rubber bands you use, the stronger the parallel setup will be.

3. What are the advantages of using rubber bands in parallel?

There are several advantages of using rubber bands in parallel. First, it increases the overall strength and durability of the rubber bands, making them less likely to break. Second, it can create a stronger pulling force, which is useful in tasks that require a lot of tension. Lastly, it can help evenly distribute pressure across an object, preventing damage or warping.

4. Can rubber bands in parallel be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, rubber bands in parallel can be used for scientific experiments. They can be used to test the strength of different materials, to create tension for experiments, or to secure objects in place. They are a versatile tool that can be used in many different types of experiments.

5. Is there a limit to the number of rubber bands that can be used in parallel?

There is no specific limit to the number of rubber bands that can be used in parallel. However, the more rubber bands you use, the stronger the parallel setup will be. It is important to make sure the rubber bands are evenly spaced and secured together to prevent them from slipping or breaking under pressure.