Are Scatter Plots or Line Graphs Better for Presenting Pollution Index Data?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with presenting data using graphs for ecology coursework. The person was marked down for plotting points instead of a line, but they argue that a line graph would not be suitable for their data. The conversation also brings up questions about whether they were expected to interpolate between data points or calculate the average index value. The issue is eventually resolved with the help of a moderator.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Simple graph presentation

Forgive my not using the thread template but it doesn't really fit my problem.

I got some ecology coursework back where I had to use a few graphs to present my data. In some of the graphs I had to present scatter plots with results from a pollution index (a score based on presence/absence of various species with different pollution tolerances) at several sites against total number of species observed there. I was marked down for plotting points rather than a line. If this was say pollution index vs distance down stream fair enough, but I'm sure a line graph would be unsuitable for my data.

Was my marker having a bad day, or am I being really stupid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The applicable questions seem to be: 1. were you expected to interpolate between data points? or 2. were you expected to calculate the average index value as a continuous function of the number of species (e.g, by fitting a least squares line)?

That's probably it. It just wasn't clear from her comments. Thanks.

This is [solved] but I'm not getting the option under thread tools.

Last edited:

What is a simple graph presentation?

A simple graph presentation is a visual representation of data using a graph or chart. It is used to show the relationship between different variables or to compare data sets.

What are the different types of simple graph presentations?

The most common types of simple graph presentations are line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, and scatter plots. Each type has its own unique purpose and is used to display different types of data.

How do you choose the right type of simple graph presentation for your data?

The type of graph presentation you choose will depend on the type of data you want to display and the message you want to convey. Line graphs are best for showing trends over time, bar graphs are ideal for comparing data sets, pie charts are useful for displaying percentages, and scatter plots are used to show the relationship between two variables.

What are the key components of a simple graph presentation?

A simple graph presentation typically includes a title, axis labels, a legend, and data points or bars. These components help to explain the data and make it easier for the audience to understand the information being presented.

How can a simple graph presentation be used in scientific research?

A simple graph presentation is a powerful tool for scientists to communicate their findings and observations. It can be used to display experimental results, compare data sets, and illustrate trends and patterns. By using a simple graph presentation, scientists can effectively communicate complex data in a visual and easily digestible format.