Are the DBR studies really protected from Placebo effect?

• Thread starter Spathi
  • Start date
Spathi
When in a group of patients half get the drug and half get a placebo, can those on the drug be able to guess that? I mean, if they take an antidepressant for example, then it, being a psychotropic drug, can change the rhythm of their sleep, which will give them the information that it is not a placebo; and further, since people usually believe in medicine, this understanding will have a placebo effect.
Did anyone suggest giving as a placebo not sugar, but a studied ineffective drug?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spathi said:
Did anyone suggest giving as a placebo not sugar, but a studied ineffective drug?
Huh?

Likes Vanadium 50
I think you are suggesting that maybe such trials should use a placebo that causes the same kind of side effects that most subjects would associate with that class of medicine.

This idea may look good as an ideal principle, but it would be horribly impractical, complicated and expensive apart from legal and ethical aspects.

Likes Vanadium 50
Swamp Thing said:
I think you are suggesting that maybe such trials should use a placebo that causes the same kind of side effects that most subjects would associate with that class of medicine.
Yes.
Swamp Thing said:
This idea may look good as an ideal principle, but it would be horribly impractical, complicated and expensive apart from legal and ethical aspects.
Ok, here is one more idea: instead of the placebos the researcher can use well-studied drugs.

Spathi said:
Yes.

Ok, here is one more idea: instead of the placebos the researcher can use well-studied drugs.
That defeats the object. A study is looking at the effects of a drug with everything else being equal. If that is the object, one drug.
So for example male, age range 21-30 no drugs or alcohol in the system, non smokers, no heart, liver, kidney conditions etc.
The guys can help me out a little here but all other conditions are the same for that cohort.
Same time, same venue, same procedure, same duration. 20 individuals, ten have the drug and ten have the placebo.
These trials are usually 'blind' so the volunteers do not know if they had the placebo or not.
"Double blind" the techs and scientists administering the drug/placebo do not know either. This removes bias.
Drugs/placebo administered, results recorded, swap round placebo/drugs repeat.
Same individuals so statistical analyses can be used to see what is significant and what is not.

My experience of drug trials in the late 1980s.

That's the same as my experience with a drug trial three years ago. After the trial, they informed me that I had received a standard multivitamin and placebo cocoa extract.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
jrmichler said:
After the trial, they informed me that I had received a standard multivitamin and placebo cocoa extract.
Did you guess that before they told you?

jrmichler said:
That's the same as my experience with a drug trial three years ago. After the trial, they informed me that I had received a standard multivitamin and placebo cocoa extract.
Spathi said:
Did you guess that before they told you?
Well, he felt extra healthy and his chocolate craving was satisfied, so yeah, he probably had an idea... :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50
Must.Correct.Misinformation...

My chocolate craving was NOT satisfied.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Spathi said:
When in a group of patients half get the drug and half get a placebo, can those on the drug be able to guess that? I mean, if they take an antidepressant for example, then it, being a psychotropic drug, can change the rhythm of their sleep, which will give them the information that it is not a placebo; and further, since people usually believe in medicine, this understanding will have a placebo effect.
As I recall, this was a key obstacle to effective testing of DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide). The substance had a distinctive side effect (garlic taste in the mouth when applied to the skin elsewhere).

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
So put all groups on a high-garlic diet and fix the problem that way. Let their spouses and vampires object.

Spathi said:
Yes.

It makes sense when you think about it. Say you develop a drug for hypertension so you test a group of 20.
You want to make sure that what you measure is not a result of the environment. Say everyone is anxious because of the settings so their BP is elevated anyway?
jbriggs444 said:
As I recall, this was a key obstacle to effective testing of DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide). The substance had a distinctive side effect (garlic taste in the mouth when applied to the skin elsewhere).
Volunteers arrive at the facility, 7am check in, bloods and everything else and can only have water and a very light meal at 12pm.
6pm a curry is cooked at the facility, LOTS of garlic.
Garlic bread, garlic and chilli chicken. Then drug/placebo given at 7pm.
Sounds like a dream trial to me. No beer obviously but close.

Vanadium 50 said:
So put all groups on a high-garlic diet and fix the problem that way. Let their spouses and vampires object.
No. Has to be in situ.

As a very wise colleague once said of blind analyses "blind doesn't mean stupid". Blind is an important feature in experimental design, but not the only important feature.

Likes BillTre and jbriggs444

1. What is the DBR study?

The DBR (double-blind randomized) study is a type of scientific experiment in which neither the researchers nor the participants know which group is receiving the treatment and which group is receiving a placebo. This helps to eliminate bias and the placebo effect.

2. What is the Placebo effect?

The Placebo effect is a phenomenon in which a person's belief in a treatment or medication can cause them to experience a perceived improvement in their condition, even if the treatment itself has no real effect. This effect can be powerful and can skew the results of a study if not properly controlled.

3. How does a DBR study protect against the Placebo effect?

A DBR study protects against the Placebo effect by ensuring that both the researchers and participants are unaware of who is receiving the treatment and who is receiving the placebo. This helps to eliminate any potential bias or influence that could affect the results of the study.

4. Are DBR studies really protected from the Placebo effect?

While DBR studies are designed to minimize the effects of the Placebo effect, they are not entirely immune to it. Factors such as participant expectations, researcher bias, and other variables can still influence the results of the study. However, DBR studies are considered to be one of the most effective ways to control for the Placebo effect in scientific research.

5. What are some limitations of DBR studies in protecting against the Placebo effect?

One limitation of DBR studies in protecting against the Placebo effect is that they are often expensive and time-consuming to conduct. Additionally, it can be challenging to find participants who are willing to participate in a study where they may receive a placebo instead of a potentially beneficial treatment. Furthermore, the Placebo effect can still occur even in DBR studies, as the participants may still have some awareness or suspicion of which group they are in. Therefore, it is essential for researchers to carefully design and control their studies to minimize the potential for bias and the Placebo effect.