Are the instances of PCP solvable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the problem is insoluble.In summary, the speaker discusses two instances of the post correspondence problem and questions their solvability. For the first instance, they have tried various sequences but have not found a common sequence, leading them to believe that the problem is not solvable. For the second instance, they note that the number of "a" in $\alpha$ is not equal to the number of "a" in $\beta$, which also indicates that the problem is not solvable. In conclusion, the speaker believes that both instances of the post correspondence problem are insoluble.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Are the following instances of post correspondence problem solvable? Find, if possible, various non-periodic solutions or prove the insolubility.

1. $\alpha = (bb, ab, aab)$, $\beta = (abb, a, bba)$
2. $\alpha = (bab, baa, a, aabbb)$, $\beta = (b, a, aba, ababbb)$ For the first one I tried various sequences but I didnt find a common sequence so I suppose that this one is not solvable. Is that correct?

To prove that, we suppose that the problem is solvable.

There exists a $k\in \mathbb{N}$ and a seuquence of indices $i_1, \ldots , i_k\in \{1, 2, 3\}$ with $\alpha_{i_1}\dots \alpha_{i_k}=\beta_{i_1}\dots \beta_{i_k}$.

How can we continue to get a contradiction? Or is the problem solvable? (Wondering) At the second one, the number of "a" in $\alpha$ is not the same as the number of "a" in $\beta$. Would that imply that this problem is also not solvable? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that implies that the problem is not solvable. Since the number of "a" in $\alpha$ is not equal to the number of "a" in $\beta$, there cannot be a sequence of indices $i_1, \ldots , i_k\in \{1, 2, 3\}$ with $\alpha_{i_1}\dots \alpha_{i_k}=\beta_{i_1}\dots \beta_{i_k}$.

Related to Are the instances of PCP solvable?

1. Can all instances of PCP be solved?

No, not all instances of PCP can be solved. There are some instances that are known to be undecidable, meaning that there is no algorithm or method that can solve them.

2. How do we determine if an instance of PCP is solvable?

There are various methods and algorithms that have been developed to determine if an instance of PCP is solvable. These include brute force methods, heuristics, and advanced mathematical techniques.

3. Are there any known solutions for solving PCP instances?

Yes, there are known solutions for some instances of PCP. These solutions may involve using specific algorithms or techniques, or may require a combination of different approaches.

4. Is there ongoing research to find solutions for unsolved instances of PCP?

Yes, there is ongoing research in the field of theoretical computer science to find solutions for unsolved instances of PCP. This research involves developing new algorithms and techniques, as well as studying the properties of PCP and its relationship to other computational problems.

5. Can solving PCP have real-world applications?

Yes, solving PCP has various real-world applications, particularly in the fields of cryptography and computer security. PCP is also used in the study of complexity theory and the development of efficient algorithms for other computational problems.