Are there alternative hydrogen abstraction pathways in E2 elimination reactions?

In summary, an E2 elimination reaction is a type of one-step chemical reaction in which a base removes a proton from a beta carbon and a leaving group leaves from the adjacent carbon to form a double bond. This reaction differs from other types of elimination reactions as it involves a strong base and occurs in one step. The rate of an E2 elimination reaction can be influenced by factors such as the strength and concentration of the base, substrate concentration and steric hindrance, and the solvent used. The products of an E2 elimination reaction are an alkene and a leaving group, which can vary depending on the starting material and reaction conditions.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Monomolecular or bimolecular reaction
Relevant Equations
x
1615745661217.png

Hey,
I have this equation in which I have to determine its reaction mechanism.
1615745758863.png

I managed to determine how we managed to obtain this the molecule in the picture above, but I don't understand the mechanism behind obtaining the second alkene. Thank you so much for your help, and sorry if the vocabulary is incorrect since I translated this from french.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any other hydrogens that could be abstracted by the OH-?

1. What is an elimination reaction (E2)?

An elimination reaction (E2) is a type of chemical reaction in which a molecule loses a small molecule, typically a proton or a leaving group, to form a double bond. This results in the formation of a new double bond and the elimination of a substituent from the molecule.

2. What is the mechanism of an E2 reaction?

The mechanism of an E2 reaction involves a one-step concerted process in which the leaving group and a proton are eliminated simultaneously, resulting in the formation of a double bond. This mechanism is characterized by a strong base and a good leaving group.

3. How is the rate of an E2 reaction affected by the strength of the base?

The rate of an E2 reaction is directly proportional to the strength of the base. A stronger base will result in a faster reaction rate, as it is better able to abstract a proton from the substrate molecule.

4. What is the difference between E1 and E2 reactions?

The main difference between E1 and E2 reactions is the mechanism by which they occur. E1 reactions proceed via a two-step process, with the formation of a carbocation intermediate, while E2 reactions occur via a one-step concerted process. Additionally, E1 reactions can occur with weak bases, while E2 reactions require a strong base.

5. What factors influence the selectivity of an E2 reaction?

The selectivity of an E2 reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the base, the steric hindrance of the substrate, and the stability of the alkene product. A strong base, less steric hindrance, and a more stable alkene product will result in a more selective E2 reaction.