Magnetic permeability and optical impedance

In summary, the conversation discussed the value of the magnetic permeability (μ) and its relation to the optical impedance (Z) in an environment with an index of n = 1.33. The speaker attempted to determine the value of μ by turning it into μ0, but was only able to determine the relative electrical permittivity (εr). They sought help in calculating Z using the given formula.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Determine the value of optical impedance
Relevant Equations
Z = μ . c/n
Hi,
It's given that an electromagnetic wave (5.10^14 Hz) traveling in an environment with the index n = 1,33, where the magnetic permeability (μ) is equal to the magnetic permeability in a vacuum (μ0).
The optical impedance (Z) is given by the formula : Z = μ . c/n.
I tried to turn μ into μ0 to determine its value but I didn't manage to get any further than determining the value of the relative electrical permittivity (εr) = 1,769.
Sorry if I have misused any vocabulary because I'm translating this from french.
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
duchuy said:
I tried to turn μ into μ0 to determine its value but I didn't manage to get any further than determining the
That doesn't make sense, but it might be a language problem.

What is the magnetic permeability of a vacuum (μ0)? Look up this standard value if you don't already know it.

duchuy said:
the magnetic permeability (μ) is equal to the magnetic permeability in a vacuum (μ0).
So, you now know how big the magnetic permeability (μ) is.

Since you know μ, c and n you can now work out Z using your formula. I don't see the problem.

1. What is magnetic permeability?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. It is a physical property that describes the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field within itself.

2. How is magnetic permeability measured?

Magnetic permeability is typically measured in units of Henrys per meter (H/m) or in relative units compared to the permeability of a vacuum. It can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as magnetic susceptibility measurements or by measuring the inductance of a coil surrounding a material.

3. What factors affect the magnetic permeability of a material?

The magnetic permeability of a material is affected by its chemical composition, crystal structure, and temperature. Materials with high iron content, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, tend to have high permeability, while non-magnetic materials like copper and aluminum have low permeability.

4. What is optical impedance?

Optical impedance is a measure of how easily light can pass through a material. It is a physical property that describes the resistance a material has to the propagation of an electromagnetic wave, such as light.

5. How is optical impedance related to magnetic permeability?

Optical impedance and magnetic permeability are related through the electromagnetic wave equation. The magnetic permeability of a material affects the propagation of light through it, which in turn affects its optical impedance. Materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, tend to have high optical impedance, while materials with low magnetic permeability, like air, have low optical impedance.