Are there any intermediate mechanics books between Goldstein and Arnold?

In summary, the conversation revolves around recommendations for books on advanced classical mechanics, specifically between the levels of Goldstein and Arnold. The speaker suggests "Classical Dynamics: A contemporary approach" by Jose and Saletan as an alternative to Arnold's book. They also mention the importance of having knowledge in differential geometry to understand Arnold's book. The value of "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics" by Sussman is also discussed, with the speaker suggesting that it may be more advanced than both Goldstein's and Saletan's books. However, they also mention that Goldstein's and Saletan's books are enough for a broad and effective understanding of classical mechanics.
carllacan
Hi.

I already had a first course on classical mechanics (lets say it was a Goldstein-level course) and I'd like to step up and read advanced, more "mathy" books. I've tried reading Arnold's book and it was frustratingly abstract.

Is there any other books that you could place between Goldstein and Arnold, in terms of formalism and difficulty?

Also, what would be the best way to prepare myself for Arnold's? That is, given that it appears to have been written for mathematicians, should I first get a solid understanding of topology or functional analysis?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
I checked Arnold's. I should say its not a book that contains "must-knows" of classical mechanics. I mean, of course there are interesting and important things in that book but a physicist doesn't have to know them. Instead of Arnold's, I suggest "Classical Dynamics:A contemporary approach" by Jose and Saletan.
But if you want to read Arnold's anyway, then you need some knowledge of differential geometry.

Thanks, I had heard of Saletan, but I thought it was at the same level as Goldstein. I'll check it out.

I forgot to ask about "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics", by Sussman. It is written from a computer science point of view, using snippets of computer code (in Scheme) to maximize clarity. I would welcome opinions on its value, if anyone has any.

carllacan said:
Thanks, I had heard of Saletan, but I thought it was at the same level as Goldstein. I'll check it out.
Actually you're almost correct. But it seems to me that from place to place, you can find deeper explanations. Also Saletan and Jose cover more.

carllacan said:
I forgot to ask about "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics", by Sussman. It is written from a computer science point of view, using snippets of computer code (in Scheme) to maximize clarity. I would welcome opinions on its value, if anyone has any.
I checked that too. It seems to me its more advanced than both Goldstein's and Saletan's. But the point is, it again contains things that you don't really need to know. If you ask me, to be able to apply classical mechanics broadly and effectively, Goldstein's and then Saletan's will do.

1. What topics does a semi-advanced mechanics book cover?

A semi-advanced mechanics book typically covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations.

2. Is a semi-advanced mechanics book suitable for beginners?

No, a semi-advanced mechanics book is not suitable for beginners. It assumes a basic understanding of physics concepts and mathematical skills.

3. How does a semi-advanced mechanics book differ from an introductory mechanics book?

A semi-advanced mechanics book goes into more depth and detail than an introductory mechanics book. It also covers more complex topics and may require a stronger mathematical background.

4. Can a semi-advanced mechanics book be used as a textbook for a college course?

Yes, a semi-advanced mechanics book can be used as a textbook for a college course on mechanics. However, it is important to check with the instructor to ensure that it aligns with the course curriculum.

5. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying a semi-advanced mechanics book?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and physics concepts such as forces, vectors, and motion before studying a semi-advanced mechanics book.