Are there currently working colliders with unequal beam sizes?

In summary, the two beams have the same emittance at the collision point. The beam sizes are determined by the beta function.
Mikheal
TL;DR Summary
For coliders of different particles such as RHIC, does the beam sizes of different beams are the same, for example Run-21 where deuterium and Gold ions are colided, what are the the average ratio of beam sizes for such light and heavy particles collision?, if yes, what factors govern this ratio?
I know that for any coliders beams are not exactly the same size but they can be approximated to the same value as the deviation is relatively small, such as LHC. My questions:
1- are there currently working or planned colliders with unequal beam sizes?
2- for coliders of different particles such as RHIC, does the beam sizes of different beams are the same, for example Run-21 where deuterium and Gold ions are colided, what are the the average ratio of beam sizes for such light and heavy particles collision?, if yes, what factors govern this ratio?
3- for e-e+ colliders does vdM scan still used, and does the beams have the same beam sizes?
Please provide me with refreances if it is available.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "size"? Length? Width? Emittance? Where do you measure? The radius changes throughout the orbit.

Vanadium 50 said:
What do you mean by "size"? Length? Width? Emittance? Where do you measure? The radius changes throughout the orbit.
I mean the rms beam size at the collision point where the two beams are colliding.
Yes, I know that size change along the orbit, thank you

I ask again - length? Width? Emittance?>

Vanadium 50 said:
I ask again - length? Width? Emittance?>
Generally in articles they refer to it by rms beam size. I am concerned about the transverse rms beam size, (vertical and horizontal width)
In fact, at the collision point both beams have approximately the same beta function and hence the Emmittance and the width are equivalent.
Thank you

Reducing the rms in horizontal or vertical direction is not increasing the luminosity notably if the other beam is wider, but it makes accelerator operation harder and/or reduces the maximal number of particles in the bunch. I would be surprised to find a strong asymmetry anywhere. I found this paper on p-Pb collisions at the LHC where both beams have the same beta* and similar emittance.

Unrelated: In Figure 1 you can see how slow lead ions and protons can't be synchronized, but as the LHC approaches its peak energy their speed gets close enough to synchronize them. The process is surprisingly slow - of the order of minutes.

Likes Mikheal
I am just curious about the at the collision point where the reaction rates are recorded.
So this mean that both p and Pb have have the same size right? Is there currently working machines with beams with different sizes?

For example, RHIC run 21 Model 3A where d-Au collision with emittance of 1.0 → 1.2 micro for d and of 1.2 → 2.3 micro for Au.
1656396310935.png

The proton beam has a slightly smaller transverse size than the lead beam. CERN-ATS-Note-2012-094 MD

KEK-B is almost certainly asymmetric, but I couldn't rell you in which direction. Ususally the higher energy beam is smaller and the positron beam is smaller, but these are different beams in KEK-B.

Likes vanhees71
In this 2013 design, LER (low energy ring, positrons) has slightly smaller emittance in x and y and smaller beta_y* but slightly larger beta_x* (table 1).
The size is not identical but it's pretty similar.

Vanadium 50 said:
Ususally the higher energy beam is smaller and the positron beam is smaller, but these are different beams in KEK-B.
As a small remark: for electron storage rings the equilibrium emittance is determined by the radiative effects and scale as ##\epsilon_0 \propto \gamma^2##. So for two identical lattices the high-energy beam will have larger emittance.

1. What is a collider?

A collider is a type of particle accelerator that uses electric and magnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds and then collide them together. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. Why are beam sizes important in colliders?

Beam sizes are important in colliders because they determine the precision and accuracy of the collisions. Smaller beam sizes allow for more precise measurements and a better understanding of the particles being collided.

3. Are there currently working colliders with unequal beam sizes?

Yes, there are currently several working colliders with unequal beam sizes. One example is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which has two beams with different sizes and energies that are collided together.

4. What are the advantages of using colliders with unequal beam sizes?

The main advantage of using colliders with unequal beam sizes is that it allows for a wider range of energies to be explored. This can provide more information about the particles being studied and potentially lead to new discoveries.

5. Are there any challenges in operating colliders with unequal beam sizes?

Yes, there are challenges in operating colliders with unequal beam sizes. One challenge is ensuring that the beams are focused and aligned properly to achieve the desired collision. Another challenge is managing the different energies of the beams and controlling the collisions to produce meaningful data.