Are there still open problems in classical wave optics?

In summary: These are questions about the fundamental nature of light and the underlying physics that still need to be resolved.
Seanskahn
I have been revisiting my notes from my 2nd and 3rd year physics degree - especially the ones covering Fourier Optics, and other classical wave optics - and it is quite rewarding to revisit the historical / exploratory aspect of the series of discoveries, that built the foundations of this particular area.
I have been wondering :
  1. Are there still unresolved problems in classical wave or geometrical optics, seen from a physical perspective (in contrast to an engineering perspective)?
  2. If so, what would be the latest attempts to resolve that.
Thank you.
Edit : to release this from hold : I would define open problems as :
  1. Observation confirms the existence of something, however, there is no explanation for it.
  2. A value or parameter whose existence is expected, but can't be computed yet
I think this sufficiently narrows everything down. I posted the question in physics stack exchange, but is got put on hold..

Science news on Phys.org
I think most of the problems of classical optics have been solved. A few years ago, I thought I may have come up with something new, and later wrote this Insights article about it https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/fabry-perot-michelson-interferometry-fundamental-approach/ only to find from a couple others on this forum that J.Schwinger (around 1930-1940) invented the matrix methods for a beamsplitter that did the exact same thing I was doing.
Another Optics problem that puzzled me for a long time, (How could the focused intensity be proportional to ## A^2 ## and still have energy conservation ? where ## A ## is the area of the incident beam) ,before I finally solved it, is written up in another Insights:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/diffraction-limited-spot-size-perfect-focusing/
There still may be some unsolved problems, but it takes much work to be up-to-date on everything that has been solved.
A couple other interesting problems have appeared on this Physics Forums regarding the Michelson interferometer: See https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-laser-in-interferometer.951709/#post-6034537
And for a good exercise in scattering theory from a crystal, try this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diffraction-on-periodic-structures.952210/#post-6036368
And if you want to read about diffraction grating spectrometers, see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/spectrometer-bandpass-and-resolution.922304/#post-5819920 Hopefully some of this is helpful for you.

Last edited:
sean_s said:
I have been revisiting my notes from my 2nd and 3rd year physics degree - especially the ones covering Fourier Optics, and other classical wave optics - and it is quite rewarding to revisit the historical / exploratory aspect of the series of discoveries, that built the foundations of this particular area.
I have been wondering :
  1. Are there still unresolved problems in classical wave or geometrical optics, seen from a physical perspective (in contrast to an engineering perspective)?
  2. If so, what would be the latest attempts to resolve that.
Thank you.
Edit : to release this from hold : I would define open problems as :
  1. Observation confirms the existence of something, however, there is no explanation for it.
  2. A value or parameter whose existence is expected, but can't be computed yet
I think this sufficiently narrows everything down. I posted the question in physics stack exchange, but is got put on hold..

For classical optics, not really- Maxwell's equations basically closed the book. That said, there is still plenty of useful research being done on the generation/engineering of partially coherent beams, photonic bandgap materials, adaptive optics, stuff like that.

For quantum optics, there are still 'open problems'.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is classical wave optics?

Classical wave optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as a wave. It involves the study of how light propagates, reflects, refracts, and diffracts through different mediums.

2. What are some examples of open problems in classical wave optics?

Some open problems in classical wave optics include understanding the behavior of light in complex media, developing new methods for controlling light at the nanoscale, and exploring the fundamental limits of optical imaging and sensing.

3. Why are open problems in classical wave optics important?

Open problems in classical wave optics are important because they drive scientific progress and innovation. Solving these problems can lead to new technologies and applications in fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy.

4. What are some current research efforts in classical wave optics?

Current research efforts in classical wave optics include developing new materials with unique optical properties, studying the behavior of light in extreme conditions, and exploring the potential of quantum optics for information processing and communication.

5. How can I get involved in research on open problems in classical wave optics?

If you are interested in getting involved in research on open problems in classical wave optics, you can pursue a degree in physics or engineering and join a research group at a university or research institution. You can also attend conferences and workshops to learn about the latest developments in the field and network with researchers.