Are These Equations for Particle and Wedge Dynamics Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations of motion for a wedge and a particle and how to solve for their acceleration. The equations are based on the forces acting on each object, including gravity, friction, and normal reactions. There is some confusion about the equations and their solutions, but ultimately, both methods of resolving the motion should lead to the same results.
markosheehan
View attachment 6272View attachment 6273

im stuck on question 8. the equation i got for the wedge is .6R -.5S=ma r stands for relative force of the particle s stands for relative force of the wedge . i got the equation 4mg-R=5m(.6a) for the particle where a stands for acceleration of the wedge. does anyone know where to go from here. are my equations wrong? i can post a picture of my diagram if anyone needs it

Attachments

• WIN_20161207_14_10_56_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161207_14_10_56_Pro.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 78
  • WIN_20161207_14_06_57_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20161207_14_06_57_Pro (2).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
View attachment 6287
The forces acting on the wedge are mg, friction, S the normal reaction between the wedge and the surface, and R the normal reaction between the wedge and the particle.
The forces actin on the particle are 5mg and R the normal reaction between the wedge and the particle
I have called α the angle with tan(α) = 3/4
If we call the acceleration of the wedge a then the equations of motion for the wedge are
1) vertically S = mg + R cos(α)
2) horizontally ma = R sin(α) - 0.5S

The equations of motion for the particle are
3) Horizontally 5m(bcos(α) - a) = Rsin(α) since bcos(α) - a is the total acceleration in this direction
4) Vertically 5mbsin(α) = 5mg - Rcos(α)

Eliminating S from 1) and 2) gives R = 5ma +2.5mg

Eliminating b from 3) and 4) gives 4mg - 3ma = R

Equating the two above expressions for R gives a = 3g/16

Substituting in 4 then gives b = 3g/4

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 66
can equation 3 also be 5m(b-.8a) = 3mg
and also i don't understand equation 4 5mbsin(α) = 5mg - Rcos(α) should it not be 4mg-R=5m(.6a) are you not supposed to look at the forces horizontal and vertical to the plane

markosheehan said:
can equation 3 also be 5m(b-.8a) = 3mg
and also i don't understand equation 4 5mbsin(α) = 5mg - Rcos(α) should it not be 4mg-R=5m(.6a) are you not supposed to look at the forces horizontal and vertical to the plane

To obtain my equations 3) and 4) I looked at the motion vertically and horizontally but you can certainly also look at motion along the plane and perpendicular to the plane. I believe your equations are correct for motion resolved the second way and these should also lead to the same solutions.

Related to Are These Equations for Particle and Wedge Dynamics Correct?

1. What is the purpose of the "Particles on Wedge: Q8 Help Needed!" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the motion of particles on a wedge-shaped surface and analyze the forces acting on them, as well as their resulting trajectories.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a wedge-shaped surface, particles (such as marbles or balls), a ruler, and a protractor.

3. How do you set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, place the wedge-shaped surface on a flat surface and adjust the angle to your desired value. Place the particles at the top of the wedge and release them at the same time. Use the ruler to measure the distance traveled by each particle and the protractor to measure the angle of their trajectories.

4. What factors can affect the motion of the particles on the wedge?

There are several factors that can affect the motion of the particles on the wedge, including the angle of the wedge, the initial velocity of the particles, the mass of the particles, and the surface friction of the wedge.

5. What are the possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include human error in measuring the distances and angles, variations in the initial velocity of the particles, and external factors such as air resistance or uneven surface of the wedge.