Curvilinear Dynamics and forces

In summary: The forces acting on the block are weight (weight is in the negative ##\hat z## direction), friction (which acts in the positive ##r^\hat z## direction), and the normal force from the wedge (which is in the direction of the normal).
Sian R

Homework Statement

A wedge with face inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal is fixed to a rotating turntable. A block of mass m rests on the inclined plane and the coefficient of static friction between the block and the wedge is µ. The block is to remain at position R from the centre of rotation of the turntable.

Draw the forces acting on the block in a diagram and express them in curvilinear coordinates. Show that the acceleration vector of the block is given by a = Rω2nˆ, where ω is the angular velocity of the turntable.

upload_2019-3-21_17-1-1.png

2. Homework Equations

DC-1165V5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have resolved the forces on the block, there are 4 I think. Friction, which I have said acts in the postive r^ direction, the Normal force from the wedge which is in the ^ direction.
Weight I have as W=mg(-sinαr^-cosα ^)
centripetal force =IFI(-cosαr^+sinα ^)From this and the acceleration equation I have split it into r and but I am unsure how to prove
a = Rω2nˆ

When I asked my lecturer on how to switch between polar cylindrical into tangential coordinates she said "r-hat points in opposite direction to n-hat, and if the particle moves counterclockwise then t-hat equals
theta-hat"

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-21_17-1-1.png
    upload_2019-3-21_17-1-1.png
    24 KB · Views: 733
  • DC-1165V5.png
    DC-1165V5.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
Judging from the relevant equation you posted, I assume you are using standard cylindrical coordinates where the z-axis is in the same direction as ##\vec \omega##. If so, the weight must be in the negative ##\hat z## direction. If that's not the coordinate system you are using, please state what it is that you are using. Also, you missed the force of friction exerted by the plane and you have a "centripetal force". Where did that come from? Only the Earth and the incline can exert forces on the block.

Just draw a free body diagram in cartesian coordinates first. Then re-express Newton's 2nd law in curvilinear coordinates.

kuruman said:
Judging from the relevant equation you posted, I assume you are using standard cylindrical coordinates where the z-axis is in the same direction as ##\vec \omega##. If so, the weight must be in the negative ##\hat z## direction. If that's not the coordinate system you are using, please state what it is that you are using. Also, you missed the force of friction exerted by the plane and you have a "centripetal force". Where did that come from? Only the Earth and the incline can exert forces on the block.

Just draw a free body diagram in cartesian coordinates first. Then re-express Newton's 2nd law in curvilinear coordinates.

I can’t really explain what I’ve done in writing so I’ve attached my working below, I thought would get a force towards the centre because it is rotating?
IMG_1366.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 555
Sian R said:
I thought would get a force towards the centre because it is rotating?
You should get the net force towards the center. This means that when you add the forces contributed by the incline and gravity, the resultant is a vector that points towards the center. It's called "centripetal" because it is directed towards the center, but that's just a name. You should not use the frame that you show in the picture with one axis along the plane and one perpendicular to it; that will make the analysis unnecessarily complicated. Also, consider that unit vector ##\hat r## is in the horizontal direction radially out, ##\hat \theta## is horizontal and tangent to the circle described by the block (in the same direction as the instantaneous velocity) and ##\hat z## is in the same direction as ##\vec \omega##. The unit vectors shown in your drawing are incorrectly identified. I am not sure what the unit vector ##\hat n## mentioned in the statement of the problem is. Is there a definition for it somewhere? Also, the relevant equation that you show looks like an acceleration on the right side and a position on the left side. Where did you get it?

Sian R said:
Show that the acceleration vector of the block is given by a = Rω2nˆ, where ω is the angular velocity of the turntable.
Is this the whole of the task? It has nothing to do with all the stuff about the angled wedge and the friction. It is merely asking you to show that the acceleration of a body moving at constant speed in a circle is a radially inward acceleration of rω2.

haruspex said:
Is this the whole of the task? It has nothing to do with all the stuff about the angled wedge and the friction. It is merely asking you to show that the acceleration of a body moving at constant speed in a circle is a radially inward acceleration of rω2.
I believe the first part of the task is
Sian R said:
Draw the forces acting on the block in a diagram and express them in curvilinear coordinates.
It is not entirely clear to me how much one has to do to complete the second part
Sian R said:
Show that the acceleration vector of the block is given by a = Rω2nˆ, where ω is the angular velocity of the turntable.

Sian R said:
In this equation, what is n^?

Chestermiller said:
I have no idea. I expressed my puzzlement about that in post #4, but no answer so far.

Chestermiller said:
It (##\hat n##) appears to be the same as ##-\hat r##.

haruspex said:
It (##\hat n##) appears to be the same as ##-\hat r##.
I hope so.

1. What is curvilinear motion?

Curvilinear motion is the movement of an object along a curved path. This type of motion occurs when an object's velocity and acceleration are not constant and change direction over time.

2. What is the difference between curvilinear motion and linear motion?

The main difference between curvilinear motion and linear motion is that linear motion occurs along a straight path, while curvilinear motion occurs along a curved path. Additionally, linear motion has a constant velocity and acceleration, while curvilinear motion has changing velocity and acceleration.

3. What are the forces involved in curvilinear motion?

The forces involved in curvilinear motion are the same as those involved in linear motion: gravity, friction, and applied forces. However, in curvilinear motion, these forces are not necessarily acting in the same direction, which causes the object to move along a curved path.

4. How do you calculate the net force in curvilinear motion?

The net force in curvilinear motion can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In curvilinear motion, the acceleration is constantly changing, so the net force can also change over time.

5. What are some real-life examples of curvilinear motion?

Some real-life examples of curvilinear motion include a skateboarder performing a ramp jump, a race car going around a curve on a track, and a satellite orbiting around the Earth. Any time an object follows a curved path, it is considered curvilinear motion.