Are these torques correct for a simple balancing/fulcrum exp

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab experiment involving static equilibrium and the calculation of torque. It is mentioned that there may have been an error in recording the data, specifically with the weight of one of the masses. The correct value is suggested and acknowledged.
Robert Parsons

Homework Statement

For my physics lab, they had us do a simple static equilibrium experiment where we rested a ruler on a fulcrum (at its center of mass) and then attached varying amounts of weight on either end at different distances from the fulcrum. This screenshot is the data we recorded (F1 is the weight of Mass 1 in Newtons, and the same for F2):

Untitled_2.jpg

Homework Equations

I believe the torque is supposed to be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the fulcrum, correct? And if that's right, then shouldn't the two torques cancel out since the ruler was balanced when the weights were added to it? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Parsons said:
I believe the torque is supposed to be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the fulcrum, correct?

Correct.

And if that's right, then shouldn't the two torques cancel out since the ruler was balanced when the weights were added to it?

Correct. My guess is you wrote down a weight or dimension incorrectly or made a calculating error somewhere.

Are you sure about the 5.2N? That's a 53g mass. I'll bet it was 50g.

I think you meant 530g and 500g but good call.

CWatters said:
I think you meant 530g and 500g but good call.
Thanks, well spotted.

What is a simple balancing experiment?

A simple balancing experiment involves using a fulcrum, or pivot point, to balance different objects on either side. The goal is to find the correct placement and weight distribution to achieve balance.

How do I determine the correct torques for a simple balancing experiment?

The correct torques for a simple balancing experiment can be found by using the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the pivot point. Make sure to take into account the direction and magnitude of the forces involved.

What is the purpose of a fulcrum in a balancing experiment?

The fulcrum serves as the pivot point for the balancing experiment. It allows for the distribution of weight and forces to be measured and adjusted to achieve balance.

Are there different types of fulcrums for balancing experiments?

Yes, there are three types of fulcrums: first class, second class, and third class. First class fulcrums have the pivot point between the weight and the force, second class has the weight between the pivot point and the force, and third class has the force between the pivot point and the weight.

What are some common mistakes when determining torques for a balancing experiment?

Some common mistakes include not taking into account the direction and magnitude of forces, not properly measuring the distance from the pivot point, and not considering the weight and distribution of the objects being balanced. It is important to carefully and accurately calculate all factors involved in order to achieve the correct torques for balance in the experiment.