Are Unanswered Mysteries a Sign of Pseudo-Science?

In summary: It's about a guy who claimed to be able to heal people by "energy" and "god." There's a lot of pseudoscience and nonsense in the article, but the main point is that his healing abilities were actually a hoax.
Phyisab****
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it's been pulled from Oprah.com; not sure how compelling any of it is.

It also links to an article which claims the season of Spring is a miracle. I was under the impression that "spring" was well understood.

Phyisab**** said:
Or maybe it will take your faith in humanity down a notch.
Down a very tiny notch. I wrote CNN about it. Let's see if they respond.

Apparently CNN doesn't accept "hoax" as an answer. Weird.

This is a clear example of pick-and-choose. For example, the thing about the mosque remaining standing after the tsunami. If this is really "... a miracle that God's house of worship was spared the ocean's wrath..., then these people are ignoring the fact that there were reportedly http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?artid=17045&catid=13" by that tsunami, including 301 mosques. So why aren't they looking at some divine message on why those were destroyed?

In this part of the world, the house of worship tends to be built sturdier than the regular houses, mainly because it is often used and by a large number of people. It also tends to be money for constructions from various agencies, organizations, and/or govt. So they can spend a bit more in building it a bit better. So it isn't explainable that it is the only structure left standing.

Every time there is a disaster, and people who survive, or some building that survive, want to make seek some deeper meaning into such thing, point out to them of those that didn't. The thing that is very funny to me is that many of these people who survive one of these things always claim that god or some other beings were protecting them, or by the grace of something they're alive. They're forgetting that if they are so protected, they wouldn't have been in that disaster in the first place! They are also implying that those didn't make it were not deserving of such a thing, as if those people did something wrong to deserve their fate. How self-centered is that?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it matters anymore how bad the article is. The crowd that always keeps commenting there, and spamming with their ideologies still thinks that the Earth is flat. And it wouldn't matter which outlet the masses direct their attention to, CNN, YouTube, or Yahoo, net result is all the same.

I think there's a weird circular confirmation bias at play here. People tend to think their religious experiences (whatever they may choose to accept as a religious experience) are more profound simply because they believe them.

That is to say that once you believe a miracle, the fact that you believe it seems to become further evidence of the miracle which, in turn, further reinforces the belief.

Are you guys talking about the 'three things science can't explain' article or what cause some of the responses aren't making sense.

zomgwtf said:
Are you guys talking about the 'three things science can't explain' article or what cause some of the responses aren't making sense.

Woah! Did it change?! Like... significantly?!

zomgwtf said:
The article has been changed significantly from the original crackpot version. I guess I wasn't the only one that wrote them about it.

Yeah, they deleted the first half of the article.

They have a crackpot link to "spiritul healer john of god".

1. What is a "Crackpot Article" on CNN?

A "Crackpot Article" on CNN refers to a news article that is based on unfounded claims or pseudoscience, and is not supported by scientific evidence.

2. How can I identify a "Crackpot Article" on CNN?

There are several red flags that can help identify a "Crackpot Article" on CNN. These include sensationalist headlines, lack of credible sources, and claims that are not supported by scientific literature or experts in the field.

3. Why does CNN publish "Crackpot Articles"?

CNN, like any news organization, may publish articles for various reasons. Sometimes, these articles may be published for the sake of generating attention or controversy, rather than for their scientific validity.

4. How can I avoid being misled by a "Crackpot Article" on CNN?

To avoid being misled by a "Crackpot Article" on CNN, it is important to critically evaluate the information presented and check for reliable sources. Look for articles from reputable sources and consult with experts in the field to verify the claims made in the article.

5. What impact do "Crackpot Articles" on CNN have on the public?

"Crackpot Articles" on CNN can have a negative impact on the public by promoting false or misleading information. This can lead to confusion and distrust in the scientific community, and may also have consequences on public health and decision-making.