Are Unpaid Internships Exploitative?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, according to the Department of Labor, if you are currently in an internship that offers no salary and you do any work that benefits the company, your internship is considered illegal. This applies even if you receive college credit for your work. It is estimated that around 40% of internships are done illegally.
gravenewworld
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf

Basically, if you are currently in an internship that offers no salary and you do any work at all that benefits the company your internship is illegal. I'm curious to see just how many kids on her are being exploited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf

Basically, if you are currently in an internship that offers no salary and you do any work at all that benefits the company your internship is illegal. I'm curious to see just how many kids on her are being exploited.

Hmm.. I've work an internship (not in science/engineering) for no pay but it was for college credit. I didn't read the article but I wonder if that's a loop hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
DrummingAtom said:
Hmm.. I've work an internship (not in science/engineering) for no pay but it was for college credit. I didn't read the article but I wonder if that's a loop hole.

Nope. Doesn't matter if you received college credit or not. If you did any work at all that the company benefited from (even small things like stuffing envelopes), but were not paid, the internship was illegal.

Yup, I've read that probably 40% of all internships, at the least, are done illegally.

I am unable to make a determination on the legality of a specific internship without all the necessary information. However, based on the information provided in the link, it appears that an unpaid internship may be deemed illegal if the intern is performing tasks that would typically be done by a paid employee and if the company is benefiting from the intern's work without providing any compensation. It is important for both interns and companies to be aware of the guidelines set by the Department of Labor to ensure that internships are conducted ethically and legally. It is also important for interns to understand their rights and to speak up if they feel they are being exploited.

Related to Are Unpaid Internships Exploitative?

1. What makes an internship illegal?

An internship is considered illegal if it does not meet the criteria set by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in the United States. This includes not providing educational or training benefits to the intern, not supervising them properly, and not adhering to minimum wage and overtime laws.

2. Is an unpaid internship always illegal?

No, an unpaid internship can be legal if it meets the criteria set by the FLSA. This includes primarily benefiting the intern rather than the company, not replacing regular employees, and providing hands-on training and supervision.

3. What should I look for to determine if my internship is illegal?

You should look for whether your internship provides any educational or training benefits, if you are being properly supervised, and if you are being paid at least minimum wage for any work done. If your internship does not meet these criteria, it may be considered illegal.

4. Can I still include an illegal internship on my resume?

Yes, you can still include an illegal internship on your resume. However, it is important to be honest about the nature of the internship and the tasks you were responsible for. It may also be helpful to explain why the internship was deemed illegal.

5. What are the consequences for participating in an illegal internship?

The consequences for participating in an illegal internship can vary. It could potentially result in legal action against the company, and you may be entitled to back pay for any work you completed. It is important to consult with a lawyer or the Department of Labor if you believe your internship may be illegal.