Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!

• Thread starter meushar100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
And the episode where Edmund has a portrait made of himself.I'm in Toronto. The dog is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. They're a small type of retriever that were bred in Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia. They are used to lure ducks in to the hunter by playing near the water. The name Tolling is derived from the word "to lure".In summary, the conversation is about various topics such as a happiness poll, TV shows, and dogs. The participants are from different countries, including Canada and possibly the United States. They discuss their favorite sitcoms, with one person mentioning Frasier and the other mentioning How I Met Your Mother. They also mention other shows such as Seinfeld,

Are we considered happy?

• Yes! we are considered happy!

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • We are considered somewhere in the mid- not happy and not unhappy

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
meushar100
Hello, dudes! please, participate in my hapiness poll. the question is: are we (people) considered happy?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am. I can't speak for anyone else.

I couldn't finish watching the clip. That show is right up there with Seinfeld as being one of the stupidest and unfunny wastes of videotape ever produced.

I think it works great when you need to unload your mind from lots of important stuff :wink:

meldraft said:
I think it works great when you need to unload your mind from lots of important stuff :wink:

Rat poison would be quicker and less painful.

Curious3141 said:
I just mentioned Frasier because I've been rewatching the old episodes.

Other great ones (sticking to Yank stuff) are: Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, anything with Bob Newhart in it, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH before Alan Alda got control of it, anything else with Bob Newhart in it, The Daily Show, The Duck Factory, Herman's Head, Lawrence Welk's show when they're singing about smoking dope, hundreds of episodes of The Tonight Show when Carson was hosting it, did I mention Bob Newhart?...
:biggrin:

Hehehehe I don't know, seems like I'm a more mainstream guy in sitcoms. I also like How I Met your Mother. Probably because only these are exported in my country :biggrin: I'll check out the ones you mentioned though.

meldraft said:
Hehehehe I don't know, seems like I'm a more mainstream guy in sitcoms. I also like How I Met your Mother. Probably because only these are exported in my country :biggrin: I'll check out the ones you mentioned though.

What country is that, if you don't mind my asking? I'm a Canuck. If you have access to our stuff, stay away from Ron James and Tom Green; they're about as funny as getting a wart on your genitals (not as bad as Seinfeld, but close). Red Green is pretty good most of the time, and his older show with his gorgeous wife, "Smith and Smith", was even better. (Red Green started as a character on that show.) Corner Gas is hilarious in a Canuck sort of way (Yanks wouldn't get it).
If you're on the other side of the pond, you absolutely can't go wrong with The Two Ronnies, The Good Life, some of Benny Hill's stuff, and of course Mr. Python. I hate Mr. Bean as a character, but Rowen Atkinson is a comedic genius and thus worth watching. Anything with Hugh Laurie (who Yanks know as Dr. Gregory House) is hilarious. Doesn't matter what... Laurie and Fry, Black Adder, guest spots on other shows...

I'm relatively happy. Due to a progressive worsening in my physical reactions to fragrance chemicals, I had to give up my weekend jobs playing rock/blues and hosting open-mic jams. It only earned me ~$35/ hour or so, but those jobs were fun. I have been thinking about selling off my old Fender amps and even my custom-built amp made by a dear friend, just so somebody else can appreciate it.

I can't get out in public anymore, but still, I have my wife and my dog, and I have the garden and chores here to keep me busy. Thinking about getting another dog to keep Duke engaged and lively - maybe a NS toller.

turbo said:
maybe a NS toller.

What's that? By the bye, I'm sorry to hear that your condition is worsening. You have to stay strong enough to travel, because I still can't cross the border.

Danger said:
I'm a Canuck. Red Green is pretty good most of the time
Hello fellow Canuck. You wouldn't happen to remember the episode when the Possum Lodge ran out of duct-tape, would you?

Danger said:
What's that? By the bye, I'm sorry to hear that your condition is worsening. You have to stay strong enough to travel, because I still can't cross the border.
I don't know if I can, either.

Edit: Even if the Canuks would let me in, it is not likely that they would overlook the Glock M20 so that we could have fun shooting the 10mm Autos and ripping up targets. Then, the US might not let me back in.

Last edited:
ingenvector said:
Hello fellow Canuck. You wouldn't happen to remember the episode when the Possum Lodge ran out of duct-tape, would you?
I don't remember any specific details. That's the downside of a skit-comedy. Even though there's an underlying theme to every show, the individual bits are hard to keep track of. If I'm remembering it correctly, didn't it turn out after all of the panic that the attic was full of the stuff? It's been a long time since I saw that episode.
So... where are you at, roughly? I'm near Calgary.

edit: Turbo... don't do that to me, man. We have to go shooting... Or at least pointing out things that we want to shoot...
And you didn't say what an "NS toller" is. I'm no dog lover, but it surprises me that you've come up with one that I've never even heard of.

Danger said:
I don't remember any specific details. That's the downside of a skit-comedy. Even though there's an underlying theme to every show, the individual bits are hard to keep track of. If I'm remembering it correctly, didn't it turn out after all of the panic that the attic was full of the stuff? It's been a long time since I saw that episode.

Actually, I asked because I hoped you knew. When I read "Red Green", I remembered that episode but not how it ended. All I remember is that the emergency duct-tape held behind the glass was so old it disintegrated on touch.

Also, I saw you listed Black Adder. That show had two special moments for me: when King Richard is eating at the table and throwing food recklessly all over the place after one bite, after every scene skip a new animal, ending with him taking a large bite out of a horse leg, and when Blackadder effectively steals George's painting but manages to escape scrutiny by yelling out "Gentlemen, the King!".

Did you also list Fawlty Towers? It's worthy of recommendation, I think.

So... where are you at, roughly? I'm near Calgary.

I'm in BC at the moment, central BC near Prince George, but I go off to study at the University of Waterloo out east.

A NS toller is a small retriever. They can be dispatched to create a little disturbance to get the attention of ducks and geese, and can be called back into the blind. When the birds come in, the hunter rises out of the blind and shoots the flushed birds, and the toller brings them back. This assumes that the hunter is willing to shoot flushed birds and not slaughter "sitting ducks". Still, tollers seem like they can be nice companion dogs.

I should add that I probably won't pursue some pure-bred dog. If we want to get a companion for Duke, we will likely go right back to the ASPCA shelter and adopt another abandoned pup. Dogs are dogs, and the mutts are generally the best pets.

ingenvector said:
Actually, I asked because I hoped you knew.
Well, to the best of my recollection after all of the going apegarbage was done with, they accidentally opened either the attic or a storage shed and found a couple of thousand rolls.

ingenvector said:
Also, I saw you listed Black Adder. That show had two special moments for me:
Unfortunately, I've never actually seen an episode of it. Only a few brief clips. I didn't start getting cable until I moved in with my wife almost 8 years ago. It didn't play on the air here, and now isn't on cable either. And I agree that Fawlty Towers was a hoot. I still can't figure out how that poor bellman resisted knocking Nigel's head off. (My exposure to that was also unfortunately limited, but at least I got to see whole episodes.)
Waterloo is a good school, despite its location. If you have a stopover in my area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Maybe we can snag a brew or two. (Be careful once you get out east; you're moving into Dave's turf.)

Turbo, dare I assume then that this thing you refer to is some variety of spaniel? The only reason that I ask is that I have seen only one other kind of retriever in the size range that you specified. It belonged to my cousin, and I can't remember what it was. It looked exactly like a Dobie, but about the size of a Sheltie.

Well, to the best of my recollection after all of the going apegarbage was done with, they accidentally opened either the attic or a storage shed and found a couple of thousand rolls. [\QUOTE]

Sounds about right. The show exemplified dues ex machina.

Now, for some reason, I can't help but think of Marg the Warrior running up to (former) Prime Minister Jean Chretien. Now it the guy who plays Mike from Canmore as Moses! Oh God! It's an attack of mid-90s Canadiana!

Unfortunately, I've never actually seen an episode of it. Only a few brief clips. I didn't start getting cable until I moved in with my wife almost 8 years ago. It didn't play on the air here, and now isn't on cable either. And I agree that Fawlty Towers was a hoot. I still can't figure out how that poor bellman resisted knocking Nigel's head off. (My exposure to that was also unfortunately limited, but at least I got to see whole episodes.)
Waterloo is a good school, despite its location. [\QUOTE]

You should really try and watch them, they're classics. Fawlty Towers is sometimes on BBC Canada, if you have it. Mr. Fawlty attacking his car with a tree branch from pure hate was magnificent. Also... Doc Martin had its moments... Ooh! Keeping Up Appearances is worth a watch. Blackadder is excellent as well. Can't think of any great modern counterparts, other than maybe Mitchel and Webb's take on homeopathic hospitals.

Interesting story about Manuel, from "Barthelona", when the show was aired in Spain, they changed his home country to Italy.

It is a good school, but the physics department could do with some overhaul to its pedagogy. There is a great graduate program with PI nearby, but it sometimes seems that the courses at the university proper are starting to strain with age. For example, I've taken quantum theory II and III but not I. Still, the math education there seems almost second to none sometimes. Also, I think one of the first year instructors was chosen for his intentional obtuseness since 60%+ of his class fails every exam for every year since I've been there.

As to location, it really isn't so good, but at least I'm conveniently located. I do have to complain about the proximity of Wilfrid Laurier University, however. Too many business school and communications idiots.

If you have a stopover in my area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Maybe we can snag a brew or two. (Be careful once you get out east; you're moving into Dave's turf.)

Sure, sounds good, but that's doubtful at best. I actually have a sister in Calgary, but I never really get to see her.

Last edited:
ingenvector said:
I actually have a sister in Calgary, but I never really get to see her.
:tongue2:
What does she look like? Maybe you could just give me her number... ?

We are considered somewhere in the mid- not happy and not unhappy

I don't even know what this means.

Danger said:
And I agree that Fawlty Towers was a hoot. I still can't figure out how that poor bellman resisted knocking Nigel's head off. (My exposure to that was also unfortunately limited, but at least I got to see whole episodes.)
I wish some network would re-run that whole (brief) series. Just hilarious. Cleese's wife was played as a ratted-hair sarcastic harridan, while the cutie was played by his real-life wife. The episode with the German guests was edgy, but so funny. It was like Basil had a form of Nazi Tourettes, offending everybody left and right.

Just ordered the whole series on DVD. Can't wait for some tight network nuts to show it again.

turbo said:
I wish some network would re-run that whole (brief) series. Just hilarious. Cleese's wife was played as a ratted-hair sarcastic harridan, while the cutie was played by his real-life wife. The episode with the German guests was edgy, but so funny. It was like Basil had a form of Nazi Tourettes, offending everybody left and right.

I did nothing of the sort - why drag me into this? :tongue2:

I still want to get a live-in friend for Duke. My wife is not keen on the idea, but if she comes home and sees Duke and a new doggie-buddy curled up together, that will seal the deal.

Edit: Duke is a happy guy, mostly, but he misses "momma" when she is gone. He can get fussy when he expects her home.

Danger said:
:tongue2:
What does she look like? Maybe you could just give me her number... ?

Ha ha! She would kill me. Especially if you looked anything like your avatar does!

I voted for Yes! we are considered happy! because people have more fun than anybody.

1. What is the purpose of the "Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!" study?

The purpose of this study is to gather data and insights about people's overall level of happiness and the factors that contribute to it. This information can help us better understand what makes people happy and how we can improve our overall well-being.

2. How is the "Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!" poll conducted?

The poll is conducted through an online survey that asks participants about their level of happiness and various aspects of their life that may affect it. The survey is anonymous and takes approximately 5-10 minutes to complete.

3. Who can participate in the "Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!" study?

Anyone who is 18 years or older can participate in the study. We welcome participants from all backgrounds, cultures, and countries to ensure a diverse and representative sample.

4. How will the data collected from the "Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!" study be used?

The data collected from the study will be analyzed and used to identify patterns and trends in people's happiness levels. This can help us gain a better understanding of the factors that contribute to happiness and inform future research and interventions aimed at improving overall well-being.

5. Is the "Are We Truly Happy? Take the Happiness Poll Now!" study confidential?

Yes, all responses to the survey are completely confidential. We do not collect any personally identifiable information and all data will be reported in aggregate form to protect the anonymity of participants.