Are White Holes Real or Just a Theoretical Concept?

In summary, white holes are a hypothetical concept that is the opposite of a black hole. They are believed to emit matter and light instead of absorbing it. This idea is based on mathematical solutions to the equations of Relativity, but there is currently no physical or observational evidence to support it. Some believe that quasars may be white holes, but this has not been proven. However, there is speculation that white holes may not be possible due to the second law of thermodynamics.
ThomasFuhlery
What's all this I hear about White holes...some kind of opposite of a black hole that emitts matter and light instead of sucking it in? Is this an actual theory or just conjecture?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's 100% pure speculation.

Or, at least it's a possible mathematical solution to the equations of Relativity, but something that has no physical/observational evidence yet.

That's true Phobos, because we can't see what's on the other side of a black hole then how the blinking heck do we know what's there. I think it's a very interesting theory though. I first heard about white holes on the comedy " Red Dwarf" where Kryten say's " I've never seen one before no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, a black hole sucks time and matter out of the universe, a white hole returns it." hmmmm!

Quasars may be white holes. No proof or evidence yet though.

white holes, yea who called me?
I think can't exist now since it defies the 2nd law of thermodynamics. So if it does, the law have to be changed. Quasars are not white holes?! try comparing the big bang to a white hole!

Related to Are White Holes Real or Just a Theoretical Concept?

1. What is a white hole?

A white hole is a hypothetical astronomical object that is the opposite of a black hole. While a black hole pulls matter and energy into it, a white hole would emit matter and energy outward.

2. Are white holes real?

There is currently no evidence to support the existence of white holes in the universe. They are purely theoretical and have not been observed or detected by scientists.

3. How are white holes different from black holes?

White holes and black holes are opposite in their effects on matter and energy. While black holes have a strong gravitational pull, white holes would have a strong repulsive force. Additionally, black holes have an event horizon, while white holes would have an event horizon that matter and energy cannot cross into.

4. What is the relationship between white holes and time?

White holes are often associated with the concept of time reversal. It is theorized that matter and energy entering a white hole would be ejected into the past, potentially causing a reverse flow of time. However, this is purely speculative and has not been proven.

5. Could white holes be used for time travel or as a source of energy?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that white holes could be used for time travel or as a source of energy. This is purely speculation and is not supported by current theories and knowledge of the universe.