Are you an egg peeling super-human?

In summary, peeling eggs can be a difficult task, depending on the egg. If you have the know-how, boiling the eggs for 12 minutes can make them easier to peel.

How would you rank your egg-peeling ability?

• Flawless. Pristine deviled eggs are my specialty.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Questionable. I can disassemble an egg.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Non-existent. Poached eggs are better anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I peel my eggs like I peel my bananas, from the other end.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • What is an egg?

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
jackwhirl
I've had this question for some time now, and I'd really like to find an answer.

What is the best way to peel a hard-boiled egg?

I don't consider myself -bad- at peeling eggs. It just seems to be a matter of luck. Sometimes the shell comes off cleanly and easily, and sometimes the eggshell membrane has welded itself to the egg white, rendering the task impossible.

If you have the knowledge I seek, please deliver me from this egg peeling purgatory.

How do you select an egg for its peelability?
What treatment, if any, do you subject the egg-boiling-water to?
Do you add the eggs while the water is cold, or after it is boiling?
How long do you boil the eggs?
How do you temper the eggs before peeling?
How long after boiling do you peel the eggs?

Physics news on Phys.org
My wife cooks them in a steamer and then after they are cold, I crush/roll them on their side across a cutting board and the shells pretty much pop off in two pieces. Sometimes it's not so simple and I have to pick off numerous pieces. Don't know why that is.

Last edited:
I slightly crack the whole egg on a hard surface (hit it multiple times to crack whole area evenly), then gently roll it between my palms in order to tear the membrane. After that, the shell comes down easily.

Likes jackwhirl
The fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel easily...

Of course I have mad cooking skills, I've been cooking daily for many years and I'm from the Deep South (most women cook well here)...

First, I allow mine to cool off before peeling. Then, I submerge them in a bowl full of warm water and do the peeling underwater- the water lubricates the inner shell as you peel and the membrane peels off very smoothly (the shell follows along). I only crack the most pointed area once to place my finger under the membrane (there resides a small air pocket at the top), it is difficult to remove the entire membrane flawlessly when cracking that one egg multiple times- the broken shell punctures the lining of different layers and makes peeling incredibly difficult and uneven.

Likes jackwhirl
Sophia said:
I slightly crack the whole egg on a hard surface (hit it multiple times to crack whole area evenly), then gently roll it between my palms in order to tear the membrane. After that, the shell comes down easily.
I've tried something similar but tend to end up with a tear in the egg as well. How do you avoid that?

Fervent Freyja said:
First, I allow mine to cool off before peeling. Then, I submerge them in a bowl full of warm water and do the peeling underwater- the water lubricates the inner shell as you peel and the membrane peels off very smoothly (the shell follows along). I only crack the most pointed area once to place my finger under the membrane (there resides a small air pocket at the top), it is difficult to remove the entire membrane flawlessly when cracking that one egg multiple times- the broken shell punctures the lining of different layers and makes peeling incredibly difficult and uneven.
Thank you for going into such detail. How long do you boil the eggs? Do you cool them in the water, with a cool water bath, under running water, or in air?

I have the perfect, seemingly flawless way to peel perfect hardboiled eggs (Martha Stewart),

Place eggs in saucepan large enough to accommodate them in single layer. Fill pan with cold water, covering eggs by 1 inch. Place over medium-high heat. Cover; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 12 minutes. Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water. Let stand 2 minutes, or more, then remove (eggs should feel cold).

Don't use fresh eggs, wait about a week after you buy them.

After the eggs have been shocked in the ice water and are cold, tap the egg slightly on the counter, you can tap it in multiple places, the side with the air pocket usually caves in and allows you a starting point to get your finger in and start pulling the shell away without any egg attached.

I just did a dozen night before last, every one perfect.

Last edited:
Likes jackwhirl
Evo said:
Don't use fresh eggs, wait about a seek after you buy them.
Uh ... what are we seeking ? :smile:

I know. I was just a slip of the figner.

Likes Evo and ProfuselyQuarky
Oh no, this is really inhuman! Such Egg abuse hurts the egg badly.

Likes Fervent Freyja and ProfuselyQuarky

1. How do you peel eggs so quickly?

As a scientist, I have developed a technique to quickly and efficiently peel eggs. I first gently tap the boiled egg on a hard surface to crack the shell, then use my fingers to peel the shell off in large pieces.

2. Can anyone learn to peel eggs like a super-human?

While my technique may require some practice, anyone can learn to peel eggs quickly and without much effort. It's all about finding the right method that works for you.

3. What is the reason behind your ability to peel eggs so easily?

As a scientist, I have studied the structure of an egg and discovered the best way to remove the shell without damaging the egg inside. Using my knowledge of the egg's composition, I am able to peel eggs with ease.

4. Is there a specific type of egg that is easier to peel?

While all eggs can be peeled using my technique, I have found that fresher eggs tend to have a thinner membrane, making them easier to peel. Older eggs may have a thicker membrane, making them more difficult to peel.

5. Can your egg peeling technique be used for other types of eggs?

My technique can be used for any type of boiled egg, including chicken, quail, and duck eggs. However, the size and thickness of the shell may vary, so some adjustments may need to be made when peeling different types of eggs.