Are you gonna listen to what I'm listening to now?

In summary, informal contractions are short forms of other words that people use when speaking casually. They are not exactly slang, but they are a little like slang. They are normally used only when speaking fast and casually, and we almost never use them in writing.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
It is also quite common, and I use the expression, to refer to people who have little or no physics background, but believe they can do physics as good or better than people with advanced degrees in physics as "physicist wannabees". It is used often enough that I shouldn't need to put in parentheses (physicist want-to-be's) to have the reader know what I am referring to. ## \\ ## I think the Mentors on PF do a pretty good job of filtering many of these, so that we don't get to see nearly as many posts from these types as they do. :smile:

Likes symbolipoint
If we're going to declare popular music as authoritative for English, we need to accept "Is you is or is you ain't my baby". And "Lay, lady lay" should be "Lie, lady lie". Don't even get me started on "conversate".

Wanna is not a word in the English language. V50 is correct.

This might clarify how and why such abuse of written language began.

Informal Contractions
Informal contractions are short forms of other words that people use when speaking casually. They are not exactly slang, but they are a little like slang.

For example, "gonna" is a short form of "going to". If you say going to very fast, without carefully pronouncing each word, it can sound like gonna.

Please remember that these are informal contractions. That means that we do not use them in "correct" speech, and we almost never use them in writing. (If you see them in writing, for example in a comic strip, that is because the written words represent the spoken words or dialogue.) We normally use them only when speaking fast and casually, for example with friends. Some people never use them, even in informal speech.

It is probably true to say that informal contractions are more common in American English.

Also note that, unlike normal contractions, we do not always use apostrophes (') with informal contractions when written.
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/contractions-informal.htm

Last edited:

1. What is "Looking for wanna"?

"Looking for wanna" is a phrase that is often used in online forums or social media platforms as a way to express interest in finding someone who shares similar interests or hobbies.

2. Why do people use the phrase "Looking for wanna"?

People use this phrase as a shorthand way of expressing that they are seeking companionship or connections with others who have similar interests or hobbies.

3. Is "Looking for wanna" a common phrase?

Yes, "Looking for wanna" is a commonly used phrase in online communities, especially among younger generations who are more familiar with internet slang and abbreviations.

4. Are there any risks associated with using the phrase "Looking for wanna"?

No, there are no specific risks associated with using this phrase. However, it is always important to practice caution and use good judgment when interacting with strangers online.

5. How can I use "Looking for wanna" to connect with others?

You can use this phrase in online forums or social media platforms to express your interests and find others who share similar interests. You can also use it as a hashtag to make your post more visible to others who may be looking for similar connections.