Area and volume integral of vector field

In summary, in 2 and 3 dimensions, given a vector field in f, is possible to compute the line integral and the surface integral, respectively, but is possible to compute the area integral and the volume integral those vector fields?
Jhenrique
In 2 dimensions

given a scalar field f(x,y)

is possible to compute the line integral ##\int f ds## and area integral ##\iint f d^2A##.

In 3D, given a scalar field f(x,y,z)

is possible to compute the surface integral ##\iint f d^2S## and the volume integral too ##\iiint f d^3V##.

So, given a vector field in f in 2 and 3 dimensions, is possible to compute the line integral and the surface integral, respectively, but is possible to compute the area integral and the volume integral those vector fields? This make sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in regular (flat) space you can simply treat the integrals as 2 or 3 scalar integrals for each of the components: E.g. if I want to take the volume integral of ##\vec{F}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}## over the unit box with corner at the origin, I would have:

$$\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1( x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}) dxdydz = \frac{1}{2}\hat{i}+\frac{1}{2}\hat{j}+\frac{1}{2}\hat{k}$$

We just don't use these very much. There is one "fundamental theorem of calculus"-like formula associated with these:

$$\iint_{\partial V} \left(\hat{n}\times\vec{A}\right) dS = \iiint_V \left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right) dV$$

The first integral is a closed one over the boundary. I can't get oiint to work here.

Matterwave said:
Yes, in regular (flat) space you can simply treat the integrals as 2 or 3 scalar integrals for each of the components: E.g. if I want to take the volume integral of ##\vec{F}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}## over the unit box with corner at the origin, I would have:

$$\int_0^1\int_0^1\int_0^1( x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}) dxdydz = \frac{1}{2}\hat{i}+\frac{1}{2}\hat{j}+\frac{1}{2}\hat{k}$$

We just don't use these very much. There is one "fundamental theorem of calculus"-like formula associated with these:

$$\iint_{\partial V} \left(\hat{n}\times\vec{A}\right) dS = \iiint_V \left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right) dV$$

The first integral is a closed one over the boundary. I can't get oiint to work here.

Interetering! But in the eletromagnetism, we have the vectorial current density, that is the quantity of current by unit of volume/area. But this is the unique example that I know...

Hey man, you realize that we define eight integral operations, but I can't think in eight differential operations that are inverse to those. Given a function f(x) and f(x,y) too, we have 2 operations for each case: df/dx, ∫fdx, ∫∫fdxdy and d²f/dxdy. So, can you think in all inverse operations for each case in my first post?

Usually one expects that given an n-dimensional integral of a derivative of some kind, the derivative might "negate" in a VERY rough sense (I want to STRESS STRONGLY to not take this "negation" too seriously) one of the integrals so that you can obtain a n-1 dimensional integral along the boundary of the original volume.

These laws are therefore ANALOGOUS to the fundamental theorem of calculus (telling us differentiation is inverse to integration). They basically all arise, in one form or the other, from Stoke's theorem, which tells us that integration over a volume is kind of an inverse to the exterior derivative:

$$\int_\Omega d\omega=\oint_{\partial\Omega}\omega$$

For vector calculus, this results in many different identities, with many different forms (this is because the differential operators one sees in vector calculus are kind of like avatars of the exterior derivative, but they are sometimes non-trival constructions of it). You can find most of them in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities#Summary_of_important_identities

Scroll down to the "integration" section.

1. What is the difference between area integral and volume integral?

The area integral refers to the integration of a scalar function over a two-dimensional region, while the volume integral refers to the integration of a scalar function over a three-dimensional region.

2. How is the area integral of a vector field calculated?

The area integral of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface, and then integrating over the surface.

3. What is the significance of calculating the area and volume integral of a vector field?

The area and volume integral of a vector field help us to understand the behavior of the vector field over a given region. It also allows us to calculate important quantities such as flux, flow rate, and work done by the vector field.

4. Can the area and volume integral of a vector field be negative?

Yes, the area and volume integral of a vector field can be negative. This typically occurs when the vector field is pointing in the opposite direction of the surface or volume being integrated over.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the area and volume integral of a vector field?

The area and volume integral of a vector field are used in many fields, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. These concepts are also applied in engineering and physics to calculate important quantities in various systems and processes.