Area of a region in Rectangle: very tough question

In summary: So the area of the rectangle $DYEX$ is $\dfrac{25}4$ square units. In summary, the area of DYEX is $\dfrac{25}4$ square units.
Johncena1
I have been stuck on this problem for 8 hours. Can anyone please help me? it would be great if full solution is provided, but even a general overview would help.
PQRS is a rectangle with PQ=20 and QR=5. Point X lies on the line PQ and Y on RS such that angle PYQ is 90 degrees. Angle SXR is also 90. Triangle PYQ is congruent to triangle SXR.

Let the point of intersection of PY and SX be D and intersection of QY and XR be E.

Find the area of DYEX.

I hope I am clear!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Johncena said:
I have been stuck on this problem for 8 hours. Can anyone please help me? it would be great if full solution is provided, but even a general overview would help.
PQRS is a rectangle with PQ=20 and QR=5. Point X lies on the line PQ and Y on RS such that angle PYQ is 90 degrees. Angle SXR is also 90. Triangle PYQ is congruent to triangle SXR.

Let the point of intersection of PY and SX be D and intersection of QY and XR be E.

Find the area of DYEX.

I hope I am clear!

This took me three double sided sheets of paper to do.

Start by writing PX = YR = x and XQ = SY = 20 - x.

Then notice that the triangle PYQ you can evaluate the area of directly, as its base is 20 and its height is 5. So its area is 50 square units. But since this is a right-angle triangle, if you knew lengths PY and YQ, you could use those lengths to evaluate the area as well.

So use Pythagoras to get expressions for PY and YQ in terms of x, then evaluate the area of triangle PYQ in terms of x. Set this area equal to 50 and solve for x.

Then once you have x, you could put your rectangle on a set of Cartesian axes. Find the equation of the lines PY and SX to find where they intersect. Once you know that, evaluate the lengths of your inner rectangle and find your area.

It will take AGES, but it is doable.

Johncena said:

Find the area of DYEX.
Hi Johncena! Welcome to MHB, and thanks for posing this interesting problem.

Let $N$ be the midpoint of $PQ$, and $O$ the midpoint of $RS$. A circle with $RS$ as diameter (so centred at $O$, and with radius $10$) will cut $PQ$ at the point $X$ (because the right angle $SXR$ is an angle in a semicircle). As far as I can see, $X$ can be either of the points where the circle crosses $PQ$, so it could equally well be at the point vertically above $Y$. In that case, the region $DYEX$ would be kite-shaped. Maybe that is what you wanted? But I am assuming, as did Prove It, that $X$ is chosen so that $PX=YR$. In that case, $DYEX$ will be a long, very narrow, rectangle, as in the above diagram.

By Pythagoras in the triangle $ONX$, $NX^2 = OX^2 - ON^2 = 100 - 25 = 75$. Therefore $OY = NX = \sqrt{75} = 5\sqrt3.$ Hence $SY = SO - OY = 5(2-\sqrt3).$

By Pythagoras again, in the triangle $PSY$, $PY^2 = PS^2 + SY^2 = 25 + 25\bigl(2-\sqrt3\bigr)^2 = 100\bigl(2-\sqrt3\bigr) = 20\cdot SY.$ Therefore $\Bigl(\dfrac{SY}{PY}\Bigr)^2 = \dfrac{SY}{20}.$

The triangles $PSY$ and $SDY$ are similar, having equal angles. The ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides. Therefore the area of the little triangle $SDY$ is given by $$\operatorname{area}(SDY) = \Bigl(\dfrac{SY}{PY}\Bigr)^2 \!\operatorname{area}(PSY) = \dfrac{SY}{20}\cdot \frac12 PS\cdot SY = \dfrac{SY}{20}\cdot\dfrac{5SY}2 = \dfrac{SY^2}8 = \dfrac{25}8\bigl(2-\sqrt3\bigr)^2 = \dfrac{25}8\bigl(7 - 4\sqrt3\bigr).$$

Next, the area of the parallelogram $PXRY$ is (base)$\times$(vertical height) $= (RO+OY)\times5 = 5\bigl(10 + 5\sqrt3\bigr) = 25\bigl(2 + \sqrt3\bigr).$

The two triangles $PYQ$ and $SXR$ together cover the whole of the parallelogram $PXRY$, but they overlap over the rectangle $DYEX$ and they also include the two (equal) little triangles $SDY$ and $QEX.$ Therefore $$\operatorname{area}(PYQ) + \operatorname{area}(SXR) = \operatorname{area}(PXRY) + \operatorname{area}(DYEX) + 2\operatorname{area}(SDY),$$ and so $$\begin{aligned} \operatorname{area}(DYEX) &= \operatorname{area}(PYQ) + \operatorname{area}(SXR) - \operatorname{area}(PXRY) - 2\operatorname{area}(SDY) \\ &= 50 + 50 - 25\bigl(2 + \sqrt3\bigr) - \dfrac{25}4\bigl(7 - 4\sqrt3\bigr) = \dfrac{25}4. \end{aligned}$$

Attachments

• area.gif
    area.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 65

Related to Area of a region in Rectangle: very tough question

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width. This means that you multiply the length of the rectangle by its width to get the total area in square units.

2. How do I find the length and width of a rectangle?

To find the length and width of a rectangle, you can measure the sides with a ruler or use the given measurements if they are provided. The length is the longer side of the rectangle, while the width is the shorter side.

3. Can you use the area of a rectangle to find the perimeter?

No, the area and perimeter of a rectangle are two different measurements and cannot be used interchangeably. The perimeter is the distance around the outside of the rectangle and is found by adding all four sides together.

4. Is the area of a rectangle affected by the shape of the region?

Yes, the area of a rectangle is affected by the shape of the region. If the region is not a perfect rectangle, the area will be different from the standard formula of length x width. In this case, you may need to divide the region into smaller rectangles to find the total area.

5. How does the area of a rectangle relate to real-life applications?

The concept of area is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the size of a room for flooring or painting, determining the amount of material needed for a project, and even calculating the amount of land needed for construction or farming purposes.