Second Moment of Area for rotating rectangle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression to relate the second moment of area to the angle of rotation for a rectangle. The poster is struggling with integrating the limits, which are functions of theta, and has attached an image for clarification. Another poster suggests using the new set of x' and y' axes to find the changes in x' and y' with the angle, and then using that to solve for Ix' and Iy'.
tomw87
Hi all, first post here but I've long browsed these forums for answers in the past.

I couldn't find an answer to my question through searching but I appologise in advance if it has been asked before.

Homework Statement

I want to find an expression which relates second moment of area to the angle that the shape in question has rotated through.

If you picture a rectangle with (for example) sides a = 1 and b = 10, with the neutral axis running through the centre of the rectangle, parallel to the long sides.

At 0 and 90 degrees of rotation about the centre of the rectangle you can use bd^3/12 to work out the second moment of area. However between these two I know you need to integrate, but I can't quite picture how this would work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can use:

(int) y^2 da
(int)(int) y^2 dydx

The problem is how to define the limits and then to solve the integration as the limits are both functions of theta (angle that the rectangle makes with the x - axis) rather than just x & y as in a static problem.

If the width of the rectangle (a) was zero then the two limits would be on top of each other (obviously the area would then be zero).

However, in that case trig would suggest that x = cos(theta)*b and y = sin(theta)*b,

As the rectangle has a width there needs to be two pairs of functions with terms which determine their y-intersect in terms of the rectangles rotation.

I've attached an image showing the problem to make it a little clearer. This problem isn't urgent but I will keep thinking about it until I've solved it so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance, Tom

Attachments

• SecondMomentOfArea.jpg
    SecondMomentOfArea.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,495
Physics news on Phys.org
When you draw the new set x' and y' axes, you need to measure how the new value changes with the angle.

You should find that x' changes such that

x'=xcosθ+ysinθ

and y' changes such that

y'=ycosθ-xsinθthen just put that into your expression for Ix'-x'= ∫A y12 dA

Thanks for your reply, I will have a go at this.

What is the Second Moment of Area for a rotating rectangle?

The Second Moment of Area, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending or torsion when subjected to a force. It is defined as the summation of the products of an object's area and the square of its distance from an axis of rotation.

How is the Second Moment of Area calculated for a rotating rectangle?

The Second Moment of Area for a rotating rectangle can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the rectangle and raising it to the fourth power, then dividing it by 12. The formula is I = (bh^3)/12, where b is the base of the rectangle and h is the height.

What is the significance of the Second Moment of Area for a rotating rectangle?

The Second Moment of Area is an important property in structural engineering and mechanics. It determines the stiffness of an object and its ability to resist bending or torsion. It is also used in the design of structural elements such as beams and columns.

How does the Second Moment of Area change for a rotating rectangle with different dimensions?

The Second Moment of Area is directly proportional to the dimensions of the rectangle. This means that as the length or width of the rectangle increases, the Second Moment of Area also increases. This is why thicker and wider beams are able to resist bending and torsion better than thinner and narrower ones.

Can the Second Moment of Area change with respect to the axis of rotation?

Yes, the Second Moment of Area can change depending on the axis of rotation. It is maximum when the axis of rotation passes through the centroid of the rectangle, and decreases as the axis moves away from the centroid. This is why the position of the axis of rotation is an important consideration in the design of structural elements.