Area, Perimeter & Radius of Circles & Polygons

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the radius squared and the area of regular polygons, and the constant value of 3.14 that these relationships approach as the number of sides increases. The question is raised if there is an equation that can determine this constant for all polygons, including a circle with an infinite number of sides. The equation provided by Malay is also mentioned.
scott_alexsk
This has been bugging me for a while and I thought that you guys might know an answer. Awhile ago I realized that there is a direct relationship between the radius (as in the distance between a corner and the center) squared and the area of any regular polygon with the same number of sides. For example the radius of any square, squared and multiplied by 2 equals the area. But also, for any triangle the radius squared times approx. 1.3 equals the area.

By finding this for several polygons, I found what I expected, the constant for each polygon as the sides increase approaches 3.14. I also found that there is a constant between the diameter of a polygon and the perimeter which also approaches 3.14 as the number of sides increases on the regular polygon.

My question is, according to these relationships is there a way to determine the value of any of these constants for polygons including a circle (3.14) (assuming that it is a polygon with a infinite number of sides) using an equation? Is there any equation you can think of that shows this? Perhaps there is an equation that determines this from the relation of the radius and the apothum (sp)?

Thanks
-scott

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
scott_alexsk said:
My question is, according to these relationships is there a way to determine the value of any of these constants for polygons including a circle (3.14) (assuming that it is a polygon with a infinite number of sides) using an equation? Is there any equation you can think of that shows this?
If the regular polygon has even no. of sides then
Area= (1/2)*no. of sides* side squared* sin(2pi/n)

Keep Smiling
Malay

That is also true when the polygon has an odd number of sides.

("side squared" means Scott's "radius" squared)

Area= (1/2)*no. of sides* radius squared* sin(2pi/n)

What's n stand for?

Thanks for all of the posts
-scott

scott_alexsk said:
Area= (1/2)*no. of sides* radius squared* sin(2pi/n)

What's n stand for?

Thanks for all of the posts
-scott
n stands for the number of sides.

Keep Smiling
Malay

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A represents the area and r represents the radius of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the perimeter of a polygon?

To calculate the perimeter of a polygon, you can add up the length of each side of the polygon. Alternatively, you can use the formula P = n x s, where P represents the perimeter, n represents the number of sides, and s represents the length of each side.

3. What is the difference between area and perimeter?

Area is the measurement of the surface enclosed by a shape, while perimeter is the distance around the outside of the shape. In other words, area measures the inside of a shape while perimeter measures the outside.

4. How do you find the radius of a circle given the area?

To find the radius of a circle given the area, you can use the formula r = √(A/π), where r represents the radius and A represents the area.

5. What is the relationship between the radius and diameter of a circle?

The diameter of a circle is twice the length of the radius. In other words, the radius is half of the diameter. The formula for finding the diameter of a circle is D = 2r, where D represents the diameter and r represents the radius.