Area & Volume Naming Conventions: 4 Questions

• I
  • Thread starter Robert Friz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Volume
In summary: Frames are used in physics to describe the motion of bodies and are not typically used in everyday language. More generally, "hyper-volume".Length, area, and volume are geometric terms that relate to measures of one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and three-dimensional regions, respectively. To my knowledge, there are no terms for measures in regions of four or higher dimensions. Since we are creatures of three dimensions and aren't generally capable of visualizing spaces of higher dimension, there's probably not a need for a term that describes the measure of a higher-dimension region.There are terms for four-dimensional regions, but they are not typically used in everyday language. Length, area, and volume are geometric terms that relate to
Robert Friz
TL;DR Summary
Area and Volume in Four Dimensions
1. Area is the naming convention assigned to that which is within a closed diagram in the x-y dimensions.
2. Area is also the naming convention used in simplified Lorentzian diagrams in the x-t dimensions.
3. Volume is the naming convention used to that which is within a closed vessel in the x-y-z dimensions.
4. What, if not volume, is the naming convention for that which is within a closed vessel in the t-x-y-z dimensions?

Should not all four of these be designated with a different name?

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Friz said:
Summary:: Area and Volume in Four Dimensions

1. Area is the naming convention assigned to that which is within a closed diagram in the x-y dimensions.
2. Area is also the naming convention used in simplified Lorentzian diagrams in the x-t dimensions.
3. Volume is the naming convention used to that which is within a closed vessel in the x-y-z dimensions.
4. What, if not volume, is the naming convention for that which is within a closed vessel in the t-x-y-z dimensions?

Should not all four of these be designated with a different name?
Length, area, and volume are geometric terms that relate to measures of one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and three-dimensional regions, respectively. To my knowledge, there are no terms for measures in regions of four or higher dimensions. Since we are creatures of three dimensions and aren't generally capable of visualizing spaces of higher dimension, there's probably not a need for a term that describes the measure of a higher-dimension region.

4-volume, no?

I might volunteer "frame". It is sort of in common use for 4-dimension curvature is it not?

More generally, "hyper-volume".

Likes David Lewis and Dale
Mark44 said:
Length, area, and volume are geometric terms that relate to measures of one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and three-dimensional regions, respectively. To my knowledge, there are no terms for measures in regions of four or higher dimensions. Since we are creatures of three dimensions and aren't generally capable of visualizing spaces of higher dimension, there's probably not a need for a term that describes the measure of a higher-dimension region.
Of course in 4D you have 4-volume, 3-hypersurface, 2-hypersurface (area), 1-hypersurface (line) (though I've never seen anybody a 2D submanifold of a 4D manifold a 2-hypersurface, but it would make sense for a systematic naming scheme).

Perhaps:

I just realized that the "area" described by x-t might best be described by "vector". I have to go have a nap and think about Vanhees71's suggestion, which certainly has merit. Interesting discussion -- the nomenclature will be different for physicists and for lay people if we pursue this too far...

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Robert Friz said:
I just realized that the "area" described by x-t might best be described by "vector".
I don't think so. If you have a graph in the t-x plane, that would describe the position of an object moving along the x-axis at various times t. The area of the region between the graph and the t-axis would not have any physical meaning. However, if you had a graph of the velocity of the object at various times, the area under that graph represents the total displacement of that object.

A (t, x) coordinate could be thought of as a vector, but a region in the t-x plane represents an area. These are separate concepts.

Robert Friz said:
"frame". It is sort of in common use for 4-dimension curvature is it not?

No. "Frame" is short for "reference frame", which is a different thing.

Related to Area & Volume Naming Conventions: 4 Questions

1. What is the difference between area and volume?

Area refers to the measure of the surface of a two-dimensional shape, while volume refers to the measure of the space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

2. How are area and volume typically measured?

Area is typically measured in square units (such as square meters or square inches), while volume is measured in cubic units (such as cubic meters or cubic feet).

3. What are the common naming conventions used for area and volume?

For area, the most common naming convention is to use the formula or abbreviation for the shape (such as "A" for area of a triangle or "πr²" for area of a circle). For volume, the most common convention is to use the formula or abbreviation for the shape and include "V" (such as "V = 1/3πr²h" for volume of a cone).

4. Are there any special naming conventions for irregular shapes?

Yes, for irregular shapes, the naming convention typically includes the word "surface" for area (such as "surface area of a sphere") and "volume" for volume (such as "volume of a irregular prism").