Arecibo Observatory: The 57-Year Telescope Set to Be Decommissioned

In summary, the Arecibo Observatory, a 57-year-old telescope located in Puerto Rico, is set to be decommissioned due to structural damage and financial constraints. The observatory, known for its contributions to astronomy and space exploration, has faced multiple challenges in recent years, leading to its eventual closure and dismantling. This decision has sparked controversy and disappointment among the scientific community, as the Arecibo Observatory played a significant role in advancing our understanding of the universe.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19...-decommission-structural-collapse-cable-breakThe world-famous Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, known for helping scientists peer into deep space and listen for distant radio waves, is set to be decommissioned and demolished after engineers concluded that the facility’s structure is at risk of a collapse. While teams will try to salvage some parts of the observatory, the decommission will bring an end to the popular 57-year-old telescope, which has been featured in numerous films and television shows.

The decision comes after two major cables failed at the facility within the last few months, causing significant damage to the observatory.
1605807122405.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Likes Charles Link, Wrichik Basu, Buzz Bloom and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that sucks -- I'm glad I got to see it during a visit a couple of years ago.

Likes BillTre
I wanted to go last time I was in PR, maybe 5 years ago, but it was closed for ongoing construction / repair work :frown:

Very bad news, but relieving from my point of view, after watching the photo. I truly believe that we will manage to build another one.

Likes russ_watters
It is sad, but most scientific instruments have a limited useful life. Of course if it was in good shape it would still be useful. However, I don't think rebuilding it would be the best use of astronomy dollars.

Likes russ_watters, nsaspook and Vanadium 50
The story I remember hearing at Cornell was that the origin of the dish was Air Force money to look at the ionosphere to support long range bomber operations (this was all hear say, you understand). Along the way they seemed to have overdesigned it some and with the switch to ICBMs left Cornell with a big dish that maybe could be converted to Astronomy! How fortunate!
If anyone can document the history with actual authority I would love to know the reference.
" Golly we have this big dish pointing at the sky...what will we do now?"
So we should probably celebrate its relative longevity and cost effectiveness. RIP

Likes Charles Link, Klystron, russ_watters and 2 others
https://www.naic.edu/history_gal/historicgal.html

tower1961.jpg

courtesy of the NAIC - Arecibo Observatory, a facility of the NSF

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Missed that there was a thread in a different forum. This was a stand-alone post initially.

In August a support cable got loose. While engineers were still discussing how to fix it another cable broke earlier this month. There is no way to repair this without putting people on site in danger, and there is no money to largely rebuild it, so NSF decided to decommission the Arecibo telescope.
For a long time Arecibo was the largest single-dish telescope in the world, and it was by far the largest one for radar astronomy. FAST is larger but it's unclear when/if it can start doing radar astronomy. But even beyond its unique capabilities: It helped with the chronic overbooking of large radio telescopes, which will get worse now.

News articles: Nature, SpaceNews

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link, MisterX and anorlunda
Sad news, 2020 claims another victim. From the photo, it seems to me that there was a lack of maintenance. There are structures in the world that are far older than this telescope, but are in good condition due to proper maintenance.

Wrichik Basu said:
Sad news, 2020 claims another victim. From the photo, it seems to me that there was a lack of maintenance. There are structures in the world that are far older than this telescope, but are in good condition due to proper maintenance.

Location, location, location. Being exposed to hot humid tropical conditions with earthquakes and hurricanes in the mix takes a toll.

Mother Nature limited its lifetime IMO, not a maintenance crew.
https://www.universetoday.com/10928...gency-repairs-after-earthquake-causes-damage/
The Arecibo Observatory’s 305 meter (1,000 ft) radio telescope is undergoing emergency repair after being damaged during a 6.4 magnitude earthquake on January 13, 2014. A large cable that supports the telescope’s receiver platform had “serious damage,” according to Bob Kerr, the Director of the Arecibo Observatory.

“A protocol structural survey following the January 13 earthquake revealed serious damage to [a] short cable section, with apparent breach of several cable strands,” Kerr told Universe Today via email. “An experienced structural engineering firm was brought to assess the damage, and to consider repair options.”
https://www.space.com/arecibo-observatory-puerto-rico-earthquake.html
The earthquake swarm arrived just as Arecibo Observatory was preparing to embark on a year full of repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Maria, which battered Puerto Rico in 2017. The observatory has been conducting science work in the wake of the storm, but the new data has not been of the same quality as that gathered before the hurricane.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50
hutchphd said:
The story I remember hearing at Cornell was that the origin of the dish was Air Force money to look at the ionosphere to support long range bomber operations (this was all hear say, you understand). Along the way they seemed to have overdesigned it some and with the switch to ICBMs left Cornell with a big dish that maybe could be converted to Astronomy! How fortunate!
If anyone can document the history with actual authority I would love to know the reference.
" Golly we have this big dish pointing at the sky...what will we do now?"
So we should probably celebrate its relative longevity and cost effectiveness. RIP

Not quite. It was designed for incoherent scatter measurements of the ionosphere. However, the theory wasn’t developed yet so it was oversized for that task. Basically, they assumed the scattering would be from individual electrons, but in reality the scattering is from thermal fluctuations of plasma waves. Anyway, the extra capability did make it more useful for astronomy, and my understanding is that it was used more for astronomy than ionospheric research.

here is an article with some of the history
https://authors.library.caltech.edu/17042/

and here is a tribute to William Gordon, the driving force behind it:
https://www.nature.com/articles/464502a

jason

Likes sysprog, MisterX and hutchphd
Thanks for the references. Really a good read. I think it is pretty clear from the article that there was a group at Cornell who managed to get AARPA to buy them a big toy. This is in the best spirit of American ingenuity and I cast no aspersions: there was good and useful information provided to the cold war efforts...and so much more. Perhaps the useful overestimates of the size required were unwitting at the outset...clearly less so at the end.
One of the great bargains in our scientific history. I wish these detailed machinations were better known because it makes the endeavor all the more interesting.

Likes jasonRF
So sad. Glad I had the chance to visit it in '90. Kind of a retroactive Bucket List item.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-12-01-arecibo-observatory-radio-telescope-collapses
The renowned Arecibo Observatory radio telescope in Puerto Rico, closed because of damage, completely collapsed Tuesday morning.

"Friends, it is with deep regret to inform you that the Arecibo Observatory platform has just collapsed," tweeted Deborah Martorell, a senior meteorologist for WAPA-TV and El Nuevo Dia in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Martorell, who was at the observatory on Monday, received a call from a scientist at the site Tuesday saying the giant reflector dish and the Gregorian Dome that held instruments above it had both collapsed, El Nuevo Dia reported...

:frown:

• Sad
Likes hutchphd

Also:
Ramon Lugo, director of the Florida Space Institute at the University of Central Florida, which manages the 57-year-old radio telescope for the National Science Foundation (NSF)...

He believes it was because of a failure of one of the remaining cables connecting the platform to one of three support towers. These cables were carrying extra stress following the two previous failures. And since the Thanksgiving holiday, Lugo says, wires were breaking in these remaining cables at a rate of about one a day. He says he told NSF the structure only had a week or two remaining before it would collapse.

• Sad
Likes nsaspook

• Sad
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
Better times.

Likes Tom.G
Yes. It looks like coincidence that the drone was in the air just as the last cables snapped, but the collapse in the very near future (days) was expected and they wanted to monitor the cables.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
Yes. It looks like coincidence that the drone was in the air just as the last cables snapped, but the collapse in the very near future (days) was expected and they wanted to monitor the cables.

Unfortunately it failed exactly like expected. To get an idea of the forces balanced with the cables notice that all three towers also snapped near the top from unbalanced loads before the deck actually hit bottom.
the-radio-antenna-platform-of-the-arecibo-observatory-in-puerto-rico-as-well-as-three-support-...jpg

The towers are in compression tension with balanced forces from the wire anchors to the weight of each leg of the lifted deck. When one of the three sides snap, the anchor forces snap that tower backward. The deck would swing down pulling the tops of the other two towers off as the deck crashes offset to that side..

The drone was being used to inspect cables when they broke.
It than panned to a larger view of things.
Nice reaction by the drone operator.

This looks to be the same video as @mfb linked to.

1. What is the Arecibo Observatory and why is it significant?

The Arecibo Observatory is a radio telescope located in Puerto Rico that has been in operation for 57 years. It is significant because it has made many important scientific discoveries, such as detecting the first binary pulsar and sending messages to potential extraterrestrial civilizations.

2. Why is the Arecibo Observatory being decommissioned?

The Arecibo Observatory is being decommissioned due to safety concerns. In August 2020, a large cable supporting the telescope's receiver platform broke, causing significant damage. The National Science Foundation, which oversees the facility, determined that the cost of repairs and maintenance would be too high and it would be safer to decommission the telescope.

3. What impact will the decommissioning of the Arecibo Observatory have on scientific research?

The decommissioning of the Arecibo Observatory will have a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in the fields of radio astronomy and planetary science. The telescope was a key tool for studying pulsars, asteroids, and other objects in our solar system and beyond. Its loss will leave a gap in our ability to gather data and make discoveries.

4. Is there any possibility of saving or rebuilding the Arecibo Observatory?

At this time, there are no plans to save or rebuild the Arecibo Observatory. The National Science Foundation has stated that it would be too dangerous and costly to repair the telescope. However, there have been calls from the scientific community and public to find a way to preserve and potentially rebuild the facility in the future.

5. What will happen to the Arecibo Observatory after it is decommissioned?

After decommissioning, the Arecibo Observatory will no longer be used for scientific research. The National Science Foundation plans to dismantle and remove the telescope's components, leaving behind a cleared site. The future of the site is uncertain, but there have been discussions about repurposing it for other uses, such as a visitor center or a site for other scientific instruments.