Aren't you guys locking/deleting/banning a bit too much?

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary: REPORT button, and let us know what you are thinking. I don't think we mind getting a few extra reports -- we have ways to mark them as we cooperate in the Mentor forum. When we get reports, especially from long-time PF users that we know, we check them out (and often find something that we should deal with).In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of new users disappearing without a trace and whether or not not knowing physics can lead to an immediate ban. It also touches on a specific example of a thread being locked and deleted, causing frustration for the original poster. The moderators explain that infractions and bans are given for violating
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why do so many new people disappear without a trace? In many cases, it doesn't seem to me that they did anything wrong. Is not knowing physics a cause for an immediate ban?

One example is the thread started by Bigpapi777. He asked some questions (about cause and effect) that I was trying to answer, and the thread got locked while I was writing a long reply to him (yesterday or the day before). Today I figured I might as well finish it and PM it to him, or ask an admin to add it to the locked thread, but he was gone and so was the thread!

Locking the thread didn't make much sense to me, and deleting it made even less sense. Especially after deleting his last post in the thread and locking it. When you deleted the thread, you deleted my posts too, and that's pretty annoying. Why should anyone bother replying to anything if something someone else says can get the whole thread deleted?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
Why do so many new people disappear without a trace? In many cases, it doesn't seem to me that they did anything wrong. Is not knowing physics a cause for an immediate ban?

One example is the thread started by Bigpapi777. He asked some questions (about cause and effect) that I was trying to answer, and the thread got locked while I was writing a long reply to him (yesterday or the day before). Today I figured I might as well finish it and PM it to him, or ask an admin to add it to the locked thread, but he was gone and so was the thread!

Locking the thread didn't make much sense to me, and deleting it made even less sense. Especially after deleting his last post in the thread and locking it. When you deleted the thread, you deleted my posts too, and that's pretty annoying. Why should anyone bother replying to anything if something someone else says can get the whole thread deleted?

Deleting / warnings / infractions generally happen because of a violation of the PF Rules (linked to at the top of the page). I don't know about this specific thread, but will take a look when I get a chance.

We take the Rules seriously here at the PF. That's one of the things that makes it such a valuable scientific resource, IMO.

Fredrik said:
Why do so many new people disappear without a trace? In many cases, it doesn't seem to me that they did anything wrong.
Ever consider that these "new" people might not be so new? One reason folks are banned is for repeated and flagrant violation of our guidelines.

(Sorry that your posts might have gotten deleted. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.)

Looks like Bigpapi777 was a duplicate account of a previously banned member (banned for violating the PF Rules on overly-speculative posts and other issues). It's unfortunate that you spent so much time trying to explain things to him -- sorry for your wasted time. We try to catch these duplicate accounts (which are against the PF Rules) as soon as practical.

Bigpapi777 was a previously banned member trying to use a new identity. This is not allowed. If it were allowed, what would be the point in banning anyone?

YEAH, the OP is correct, YEAH

How come i got so many infractions in the past ? Huh ?

Besides, infraction, isn't that when you break a leg or somethin' like that ?

marlon

marlon said:
Besides, infraction, isn't that when you break a leg or somethin' like that ?

No, you're thinking of "infarction". And hopefully you haven't gotten too many of those from the PF! :smile:

Truth be told, I have been avoiding answering any questions lately simply because it seems like a lot of them are such STUPID questions. It's almost like the poster is looking for a fight. Almost like a 'set-up'. Every time a question is asked that makes me wonder if it is someone who previously posted here and was banned I always look at the number of posts they have made and it is always VERY low. When I see that I seldom reply unless it can be answered very easily. I am probably as guilty as anyone on this forum for warnings and etc., but I generally don't look for trouble.

Averagesupernova said:
Truth be told, I have been avoiding answering any questions lately simply because it seems like a lot of them are such STUPID questions. It's almost like the poster is looking for a fight. Almost like a 'set-up'. Every time a question is asked that makes me wonder if it is someone who previously posted here and was banned I always look at the number of posts they have made and it is always VERY low. When I see that I seldom reply unless it can be answered very easily. I am probably as guilty as anyone on this forum for warnings and etc., but I generally don't look for trouble.

Yeah, you almost have to develop an instinct about it after a while, eh? At least as a Mentor, I can pop quickly to their history and look at some other things, while trying to decide how to respond.

For posts that seem to be a setup, or otherwise arouse your instincts, please consider clicking the REPORT button, and let us know what you are thinking. I don't think we mind getting a few extra reports -- we have ways to mark them as we cooperate in the Mentor forum. When we get reports, especially from long-time PF users that we know, we check them out (and often find something that we should deal with).

berkeman said:
Yeah, you almost have to develop an instinct about it after a while, eh? At least as a Mentor, I can pop quickly to their history and look at some other things, while trying to decide how to respond.

For posts that seem to be a setup, or otherwise arouse your instincts, please consider clicking the REPORT button, and let us know what you are thinking. I don't think we mind getting a few extra reports -- we have ways to mark them as we cooperate in the Mentor forum. When we get reports, especially from long-time PF users that we know, we check them out (and often find something that we should deal with).

I did a test post to see how this forum would respond to a kook post my first few days here.
It was locked immediately.
I promptly became a gold member.

IMHO, I would say that they are a bit slow around here about locking/deleting/banning...

Buy that's just my humble opinion...

OmCheeto said:
I did a test post to see how this forum would respond to a kook post my first few days here.
It was locked immediately.
I promptly became a gold member.

LOL. So the photon thing was a test eh? :rofl:

berkeman said:
LOL. So the photon thing was a test eh? :rofl:

Photon thing? I hope that wasn't last week. My memory seems to be failing. What did I have to say about photons?

My test was regarding a theory constantly brought up at my other forum (where they've banned 1 person in the last 2 years) that is promoted by someone at a third forum with a URL fairly similar to the one here.
It's not too tough to find. See OmCheeto; threads started by; thread slammed shut.

If the "friends" function had been functional back then, Ivan would have been my first friend.

:smile:

That's weird. He's not on my friends list, but his spouse is. hmmmm?

Perhaps he's freaked out by my interest in his plant-oil.

I should tell him about my latest idea. He might like it.

Haha, yes, that was the first time that someone sent me a pm to thank me for locking their thread. :smile:

It was so unusual that I made a post about it in the Mentor's forum. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Question 1: Why does it seem like you are constantly locking, deleting, and banning content or users?

Answer: As scientists, we value accuracy and fact-based information. When content or users violate our community guidelines or spread misinformation, we must take action to maintain the integrity of our platform and protect our users.

Question 2: How do you determine what content or users to lock, delete, or ban?

Answer: We have a team of trained moderators who review reported content and users. They follow a set of guidelines and policies to determine if the content or user violates our community standards. We also have algorithms in place to flag potentially harmful or inappropriate content.

Question 3: Can I appeal a lock, deletion, or ban?

Answer: Yes, you can appeal a lock, deletion, or ban by contacting our support team and providing evidence or reasoning for why you believe the action was unjust. Our team will review the appeal and make a decision based on our policies and guidelines.

Question 4: Is there a limit to how much content and users can be locked, deleted, or banned?

Answer: Our goal is to create a safe and reliable platform for our users, so we will continue to take necessary actions to maintain this standard. However, we also understand the importance of free speech and will only take action when content or users violate our community guidelines.

Question 5: How can I help prevent my content or account from being locked, deleted, or banned?

Answer: The best way to prevent your content or account from being locked, deleted, or banned is to familiarize yourself with our community guidelines and follow them when creating and sharing content. Additionally, be mindful of the information you share and verify facts before posting to ensure the accuracy of your content.