Argument and your knowledge about it

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of argumentation and how to evaluate analogies in arguments. The relevance and degree of similarity between objects, as well as the amount and variety of instances used, are important factors in determining the strength of an analogy. The conversation also touches on the use of logical fallacies and the distinction between logic and rhetoric in debates. The conversation also references other topics such as reasoning and the use of rhetorical figures in arguments.
Technon
I wonder if people here generally have some knowledge about things like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_analogy
If not, I suggest you read up on it. This topic discusses how you would go about when for example evaluating an analogy. See especially:

Strength of an analogy
Several factors affect the strength of the argument from analogy:

• The relevance (positive or negative) of the known similarities to the similarity inferred in the conclusion.
  • The degree of relevant similarity (or dissimilarity) between the two objects.
  • The amount and variety of instances that form the basis of the analogy.

So these three should be used as argumentative basis when evaluating.

Perhaps I should actually go even more back to basics, like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument How many of you are actually familiar with this topic to any greater extent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak for others, but the list of logical fallacies (of which 'faulty analogy' is one) is one of my primary tools - at least on other fora where opinions rule over facts.

DaveC426913 said:
I can't speak for others, but the list of logical fallacies (of which 'faulty analogy' is one) is one of my primary tools - at least on other fora where opinions rule over facts.
I find naked 'faulty analogy" less annoying than tautology repeating 'faulty analogy', especially in the scholarship of international relations and the global financial system.

phinds said:
This would be an excellent way to help you understand why your "stone in the water is analogous to wave particle duality" in the other thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/waveparticle-duality.960699/) is so flawed.
You are the first I would recommend to read up on this topic, since you haven't been able to present any argument that follows the principles of argumentation - which I even quoted, to give you some examples, to make it easier for you.

Technon said:
You are the first I would recommend to read up on this topic, since you haven't been able to present any argument that follows the principles of argumentation - which I even quoted, to give you some examples, to make it easier for you.
Well, don't worry about it. After you've studied some more physics you'll understand why the analogy is so flawed.

Likes berkeman and Dale
Technon said:
This topic discusses how you would go about when for example evaluating an analogy.
Any analogy is per construction doomed to fail, in my opinion. It can only relate to one specific aspect among usually many, and unfortunately, combatants often fail to work out this aspect in comparison to all other. Thus it is an issue of rhetoric, not an issue of science - simply because conditions aren't explained beforehand.

fresh_42 said:
Any analogy is per construction doomed to fail, in my opinion. It can only relate to one specific aspect among usually many, and unfortunately, combatants often fail to work out this aspect in comparison to all other. Thus it is an issue of rhetoric, not an issue of science - simply because conditions aren't explained beforehand.
The topic is argumentation which in turn is a sub topic of reasoning. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason
Would you really claim reason to be an issue of "rhetoric" rather than science?

Technon said:
The topic is argumentation which in turn is a sub topic of reasoning. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason
Would you really claim reason to be an issue of "rhetoric" rather than science?
I said analogies, not reason. These subtleties are exactly the difference. You deliberately changed my statement for the sake of argument, not reason. Science requires a well defined set-up and a basis for discussion. Analogies cannot provide this. Logic and rhetoric are two different things. The former is suited for scientific debates, the latter for small talk and ramblings.

fresh_42 said:
I said analogies, not reason. These subtleties are exactly the difference. You deliberately changed my statement for the sake of argument, not reason. Science requires a well defined set-up and a basis for discussion. Analogies cannot provide this. Logic and rhetoric are two different things. The former is suited for scientific debates, the latter for small talk and ramblings.
There exists arguments based on logic, you know.

Technon said:
Sure, but not all rhetorical figures are logical arguments. I think you demonstrated this very well so far. You claim logic but use rhetoric:
fresh_42 said:
I said analogies, not reason. These subtleties are exactly the difference. You deliberately changed my statement for the sake of argument, not reason.

Technon said:
Yes, so let’s stick to arguments based on logic rather than arguments based on analogies.

Thread closed

Likes weirdoguy, Bystander, Charles Link and 1 other person

1. What is an argument?

An argument is a logical and persuasive presentation of ideas and evidence used to support a claim or point of view. It involves using reasoning and critical thinking to convince others that a particular viewpoint is valid.

2. What is the purpose of an argument?

The purpose of an argument is to persuade others to accept a particular viewpoint or to take a certain course of action. It is also used to challenge and critically analyze different perspectives and ideas.

3. How do you construct a strong argument?

To construct a strong argument, you need to clearly define your claim or thesis statement and provide evidence and reasoning to support it. It is also important to consider counterarguments and address them in your argument.

4. What is the difference between a deductive and inductive argument?

A deductive argument is one in which the conclusion logically follows from the premises. In contrast, an inductive argument is based on observations and evidence and the conclusion is not necessarily certain.

5. How can you use critical thinking in constructing an argument?

Critical thinking is essential in constructing an argument because it involves evaluating and analyzing information, questioning assumptions, and identifying biases and fallacies. By using critical thinking, you can strengthen your argument and make it more persuasive and logical.