Arithmetic and Geometric sequence problem

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the common ratio, r, for an arithmetic and geometric sequence based on given clues. The sum of the first three numbers of the arithmetic sequence is 54, and by manipulating algebraic equations, the correct solution of r=2 was found, with the mistake of missing a term in one of the equations being identified and corrected.
stungheld

Homework Statement

The sum of first three numbers of the arithmetic sequence is 54. If you subtract 3 from the first one, leave the second one unchanged and add 12 to the third one you get the first three numbers of the geometric sequence of the form ##ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... ar^n ## Find r.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Using the first clue i got ##a + d = 18 ## ##a ## being the first number in either sequence and ##d ## being the difference of the arithmetic sequence. Next i set up the geometric sequence of the given form ##(a - 3) + (a + d) + (a + 2d + 12) ## . Now ##\frac{a + d}{a - 3} = r ## and from this ##\frac{18}{18 - d} = r ## . Also ##\frac{a + 2d + 12}{a + d} = r^2 ## . Now defining ##18 - \frac{18}{r} = d ## and replacing in the formula above i obtain ##8r - 3 = r^3## . This does not hold for ##r = 2 ## which is the correct solution. Which step did i do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you went from ##\frac{a + d}{a - 3} = r## to ##\frac{18}{18 - d} = r##, you forgot the ##-3## of the first denominator.

Samy_A said:
When you went from ##\frac{a + d}{a - 3} = r## to ##\frac{18}{18 - d} = r##, you forgot the ##-3## of the first denominator.
True but didnt make much difference. i now get ##5r - 2 = 2r^3 ## Cant find any mistakes but there must be some.

##\frac{a + 2d + 12}{a + d} = r^2 ## is not correct.

Last edited:
Likes stungheld
yeah, that's it. Just r there. Now its correct ##5r - 2 = 2r^2 ##

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a series of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. For example, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 is an arithmetic sequence with a difference of 2 between each term.

2. How do I find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

To find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence, subtract any term from the term that comes after it. The resulting number will be the common difference. Alternatively, you can subtract the first term from the last term and divide by the number of terms minus 1.

3. What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a series of numbers where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. For example, 2, 6, 18, 54, 162 is a geometric sequence with a ratio of 3 between each term.

4. How do I find the common ratio in a geometric sequence?

To find the common ratio in a geometric sequence, divide any term by the term that comes before it. The resulting number will be the common ratio. Alternatively, you can take the nth root of the last term divided by the first term, where n is the number of terms in the sequence.

5. How can I use arithmetic and geometric sequences in real-life situations?

Arithmetic and geometric sequences are commonly used in financial planning, such as calculating interest rates and loan payments. They can also be used in population growth models, where the population increases or decreases at a constant rate over time.