Alternative Methods to Find Arithmetic Sequence's Common Ratio

In summary, In an arithmetic sequence, the first term is 0, the common difference is 0, and the sequence is an Arithmetic sequence.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
If the first, third and sixth term of an arithmetical progression are in geometrical progression, find the common ratio of the geometrical progression.
Relevant Equations
geometric mean
My attempt;
The terms in the arithmetic sequence are ;##[ a, a+2d,a+5d]##.
It follows that;
Common ratio ##r=\dfrac{a+2d}{a}=\dfrac{a+5d}{a+2d}##
##⇒ar+2rd=a+2d+3d##
##ar+2rd=ar+3d##
##ar+2rd-ar=3d##
##2rd=3d##
##r=\dfrac{3d}{2d}=\dfrac{3}{2}##

The solution given on the textbook is ##r=\dfrac{3}{2}##. Seeking alternative method guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: If the first, third and sixth term of an arithmetical progression are in geometrical progression, find the common ratio of the geometrical progression.
Relevant Equations:: geometric mean

My attempt;
It follows that;
##⇒ar+2rd=a+2d+3d##
##ar+2rd=ar+3d##
##ar+2rd-ar=3d##
##2rd=3d##

The solution given on the textbook is ##r=\dfrac{3}{2}##.
chwala said:
Seeking alternative method guys.
Why? The approach you wrote is logical and consistent with the given information. The only change I would make would be in the line that starts with "The terms in the arithmetic sequence are ..."
Those are the first, third, and sixth terms of the arithmetic sequence.

A question for you, though, is this: What would you do differently if you weren't given the answer to this problem?

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: If the first, third and sixth term of an arithmetical progression are in geometrical progression, find the common ratio of the geometrical progression.
Relevant Equations:: geometric mean

My attempt;
It follows that;
##⇒ar+2rd=a+2d+3d##
##ar+2rd=ar+3d##
##ar+2rd-ar=3d##
##2rd=3d##

The solution given on the textbook is ##r=\dfrac{3}{2}##. Seeking alternative method guys.
Your textbook is wrong. If a=0 then the sequence is 0,0,0,0,0,0 and the common ratio is undefined. If a is not 0, then the common ratio is either 1 or 3/2. You missed the r=1 solution because you divided. Instead, multiply, using the fact that each term in a geometric sequence is equal to the product of the adjacent terms.

Prof B said:
Your textbook is wrong. If a=0 then the sequence is 0,0,0,0,0,0 and the common ratio is undefined. If a is not 0, then the common ratio is either 1 or 3/2. You missed the r=1 solution because you divided. Instead, multiply, using the fact that each term in a geometric sequence is equal to the product of the adjacent terms.
First, a is the starting value of the sequence. If a = 0, then the arithmetic sequence is {0, d, 2d, 3d, ...}. This sequence is the zero sequence only if the common difference d happens also to be 0.

Second, each term in a geometric sequence is equal to the product of the common ratio and the previous term, not the product of the adjacent terms.

Finally, from the equation ##r = \frac{a + 2d}a##, and assuming ##a \ne 0##, we get ##ra = a + 2d## or ##a(r - 1) = 2d##. If r = 1 as you said, then d = 0 as well, making the arithmetic sequence {a, a, a, ...}, not a very interesting arithmetic or geometric sequence. Perhaps the textbook had additional constraints that weren't included in the problem statement here.

Mark44 said:
Why? The approach you wrote is logical and consistent with the given information. The only change I would make would be in the line that starts with "The terms in the arithmetic sequence are ..."
Those are the first, third, and sixth terms of the arithmetic sequence.

A question for you, though, is this: What would you do differently if you weren't given the answer to this problem?
I may not have an immediate answer @Mark44 ...the purpose of me sharing the questions is to enjoy the beauty of maths with the viewers, more so getting diverse opinion on a subject matter...I guess I mentioned that in the past.

Mark44 said:
First, a is the starting value of the sequence. If a = 0, then the arithmetic sequence is {0, d, 2d, 3d, ...}. This sequence is the zero sequence only if the common difference d happens also to be 0.

Second, each term in a geometric sequence is equal to the product of the common ratio and the previous term, not the product of the adjacent terms.

Finally, from the equation ##r = \frac{a + 2d}a##, and assuming ##a \ne 0##, we get ##ra = a + 2d## or ##a(r - 1) = 2d##. If r = 1 as you said, then d = 0 as well, making the arithmetic sequence {a, a, a, ...}, not a very interesting arithmetic or geometric sequence. Perhaps the textbook had additional constraints that weren't included in the problem statement here.
The textbook has no additional constraints...the problem set here is word- word as it is on the text.

1653073330102.png

1653073353288.png

Prof B said:

@Prof B Is the set ##[{0,0,0,0,0}]## a sequence? If indeed it is, then what is the first term? common difference? is it an Arithmetic or Geometric sequence? or what type of sequence is it? and secondly,

how are you arriving at common ratio ; ##r=1?##

For starters; just to consider a geometric sequence as an example, one condition is that the common ratio ##r≠0##.

Last edited:
chwala said:
@Prof B Is the set [0,0,0,0,0] a sequence? If indeed it is, then what is the first term?
Not directed to me, but I'll answer anyway. Yes, {0, 0, 0, ...} is a sequence. Its first term is 0.
chwala said:
common difference?
d = 0.
chwala said:
is it an Arithmetic or Geometric sequence? or what type of sequence is it?
It's trivially an arithmetic sequence AKA arithmetic progression. Per wikipedia's definition, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_progression, the zero sequence, (with emphasis added)
In mathematics, a geometric progression, also known as a geometric sequence, is a sequence of non-zero numbers where each term after the first is found by multiplying the previous one by a fixed, non-zero number called the common ratio.
chwala said:
and secondly,

how are you arriving at common ratio ; r=1?
If we accept wikipedia's definition, the zero sequence isn't a geometric sequence, so the concept of common ratio doesn't apply.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
If we accept wikipedia's definition, the zero sequence isn't a geometric sequence, so the concept of common ratio doesn't apply.
Wikipedia is fairly reliable, but not 100%. The OP should follow whatever definition is in his textbook. The textbook I teach from places no restrictions on a and r.

Mark44 said:
Oh, thanks for catching my mistake. The square of each term is the product of the adjacent terms. The equation I solved to find all sequences with the stated property is (a+2d)(a+2d) = a(a+5d).

chwala said:
how are you arriving at common ratio ; ##r=1?##
By solving the equation (a+2d)(a+2d) = a(a+5d) and then checking my answer. Give it a try. It's not hard. The solutions are d=0 and d=a/4. To avoid triggering people, let's assume a is not 0. When d=0 all the terms in the sequence are equal so r=1. When d=0.25a, the third term is 1.5a and the sixth term is 2.25a so the common ratio is 1.5.

Last edited:
Prof B said:
By solving the equation (a+2d)(a+2d) = a(a+5d) and then checking my answer. Give it a try. It's not hard. The solutions are d=0 and d=a/4. To avoid triggering people, let's assume a is not 0. When d=0 all the terms in the sequence are equal so r=1. When d=0.25a, the third term is 1.5a and the sixth term is 2.25a so the common ratio is 1.5.
Why should we assume? Not getting it...

Prof B said:
Wikipedia is fairly reliable, but not 100%. The OP should follow whatever definition is in his textbook. The textbook I teach from places no restrictions on a and r.
Which textbook is this?

Prof B said:
In Mathematics, we don't follow 'whatever definition' as you want to insuniate! There has to be some reference to any given rule or concept! ...

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference.

2. What is the common ratio in an arithmetic sequence?

The common ratio in an arithmetic sequence is the constant difference between any two consecutive terms. It is represented by the letter 'd' and is used to find any term in the sequence.

3. What are some alternative methods to find the common ratio in an arithmetic sequence?

Some alternative methods to find the common ratio in an arithmetic sequence include using the formula r = (an - an-1)/an-1, where r is the common ratio, an is the nth term, and an-1 is the (n-1)th term. Another method is to divide any term by the previous term in the sequence to find the common ratio.

4. How can we use the sum of an arithmetic sequence formula to find the common ratio?

The sum of an arithmetic sequence formula, Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), can be used to find the common ratio by solving for 'd'. Once we have the value of 'd', we can use it to find any term in the sequence.

5. Can we use the graph of an arithmetic sequence to find the common ratio?

Yes, we can use the graph of an arithmetic sequence to find the common ratio. The common ratio will be the slope of the line connecting any two points on the graph. The y-intercept of the line will be the first term in the sequence, and the x-intercept will be the term number of the first term.