Army to Launch Probe Into Tillman Death

In summary, the Army announced they will launch a criminal investigation into the 2004 death of Pat Tillman, a former professional football player who was shot by fellow soldiers in Afghanistan. This comes two years after previous Army reviews concluded it was an accidental shooting. Some individuals argue that because Tillman was a famous football player, the incident is being investigated while other similar incidents are not. However, others believe that all "friendly-fire" incidents are investigated, but not all of them receive a criminal investigation. Ultimately, the outcome of the investigation remains to be seen.
scott1
WASHINGTON -- The Army said Saturday it will launch a criminal investigation into the April 2004 death of Pat Tillman, the former professional football player who was shot to death by fellow soldiers in Afghanistan in what previous Army reviews had concluded was an accidental shooting.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/04/AR2006030400860.html
It's been two years why they just starting to lanuch a crimnal investegation?
I don't watch football.But I'am kind of intersted to see what if it was propous what was the motive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scott1 said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/04/AR2006030400860.html
It's been two years why they just starting to launch a crimnal investegation?
I don't watch football.But I'am kind of intersted to see what if it was propous what was the motive.

It's because he was famous as a football player that they are investigating at all. Some unknown fellow who was gunned downed by his buddies by accident would never get investrigated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every "friendly-fire" incident gets investigated, of course, SA. The article says this is the fifth investigation of this incident. That may be more than other incidents get investigated (I don't know), but it is certainly false to claim that others don't get investigated at all.

Every "friendly-fire" incident gets investigated, of course, SA.

Russ, I used to be a weather officer at a TAC base. Occasionally the pilots would prang in. There was always an investgation, and the result was foregone: if the pilot survived the cause was "unknown mechanical failure", and if the pilot was killed it was "pilot error".

The required incident investigation form will be filed, of course, and if nobody takes up the case, that's where it ends.

Pat Tillman, what a "g".

I salute you Pat Tillman

russ_watters said:
Every "friendly-fire" incident gets investigated, of course, SA. The article says this is the fifth investigation of this incident. That may be more than other incidents get investigated (I don't know), but it is certainly false to claim that others don't get investigated at all.

They all get investigated, but not all of them get a criminal investigation.

A waste of time. It's unfortunate that it happened but that is the risk every soldier is aware of. I'm sure that all the men who survived that ordeal feel horribly about it.

selfAdjoint said:
Russ, I used to be a weather officer at a TAC base. Occasionally the pilots would prang in. There was always an investgation, and the result was foregone: if the pilot survived the cause was "unknown mechanical failure", and if the pilot was killed it was "pilot error".

The required incident investigation form will be filed, of course, and if nobody takes up the case, that's where it ends.
Plane crashes and friendly fire are two different things. In a plane crash, you don't always really want/need/care to know why - in a friendly fire incident, someone always does. A google finds information on dozens of separate incidents.
ComputerGeek said:
They all get investigated, but not all of them get a criminal investigation.
True.

deckart said:
A waste of time. It's unfortunate that it happened but that is the risk every soldier is aware of. I'm sure that all the men who survived that ordeal feel horribly about it.

I certainly hope it's a waste of time. That's the best possible outcome in my mind. Even though his statement isn't strictly correct factually, I agree with SA's sentiment on the matter. I don't think a criminal investigation would be happening for your average Joe Private who gets killed by friendly fire. I think Tillman was famous enough that politicians started poking their noses into it. Unfortunately, in those sorts of circumstances, it's all to common for the military to find a convenient scapegoat to pin it on.

1. What happened to Pat Tillman and why is the Army launching a probe into his death?

Pat Tillman was a former NFL player who joined the Army after the 9/11 attacks. He was killed in Afghanistan in 2004 by friendly fire, but the Army initially reported that he died in combat. The probe is being launched to investigate the circumstances surrounding his death and the subsequent cover-up by the Army.

2. What new information has emerged that prompted the Army to launch this probe now?

In 2017, a new book titled "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" was published, which revealed that the Army had known about the friendly fire incident from the beginning but still released false information about Tillman's death. This new information has led to the Army reopening the investigation.

3. Who will be conducting the probe and what will it entail?

The probe will be conducted by the Army's Criminal Investigation Command and will involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing documents and evidence, and examining the decisions made by Army officials in the aftermath of Tillman's death.

4. Has the Army faced any consequences for their handling of Pat Tillman's death?

In 2007, the Army conducted a previous investigation into Tillman's death and found that nine Army officers, including four generals, were guilty of making critical errors in reporting and investigating Tillman's death. However, no one was held accountable or faced any consequences for their actions.

5. What is the purpose of this probe and what is the desired outcome?

The purpose of this probe is to uncover the truth about Pat Tillman's death and the subsequent cover-up by the Army. The desired outcome is accountability for those who were involved in the cover-up and closure for the Tillman family, who have been seeking answers and justice for over a decade.