Arranging Identical Chips in a Circle: Combinatorics Question Explained

In summary, the problem asks for the number of ways to arrange 4 red chips and 2 white chips in a circle. The initial approach of dividing the number of linear arrangements by 6 does not work, as not all circles of 6 produce 6 different linear sequences. To solve the problem, we must consider the starting points of the circles and see that there are only 3 possible arrangements. However, the general version of this problem is more complex and does not have a simple solution.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

In how many ways can four identical red chips and two identical white chips be arranged in a circle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the number of different arrangements when the the chips are just in a line. This is ##\displaystyle {6 \choose 2} = 15##. Next, I thought that since the chips are arranged in a circle, we have to divide by 6 to take into account the rotations that would essentially be considered the same. However, 15 is obviously not divisible by 6, so I am doing something wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

In how many ways can four identical red chips and two identical white chips be arranged in a circle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the number of different arrangements when the the chips are just in a line. This is ##\displaystyle {6 \choose 2} = 15##. Next, I thought that since the chips are arranged in a circle, we have to divide by 6 to take into account the rotations that would essentially be considered the same. However, 15 is obviously not divisible by 6, so I am doing something wrong. What am I doing wrong?
Not all circles of 6 will produce 6 different linear sequences by starting at the 6 different points.
In general, you would also need to consider whether two circles that are mirror images should be counted as one or two, but in this very simple set up I don't think that arises.

haruspex said:
Not all circles of 6 will produce 6 different linear sequences by starting at the 6 different points.
In general, you would also need to consider whether two circles that are mirror images should be counted as one or two, but in this very simple set up I don't think that arises.
I looked at the problem a bit more and realized that there are only 3 arrangements, so this solves the problem. However, I still want to see how this is done with numbers. I'm not sure what you mean by the first part of your post. Do I need to rethink my initial approach, or do I need to somehow divide by 3 to get the correct answer?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I looked at the problem a bit more and realized that there are only 3 arrangements, so this solves the problem. However, I still want to see how this is done with numbers. I'm not sure what you mean by the first part of your post. Do I need to rethink my initial approach, or do I need to somehow divide by 3 to get the correct answer?
There is no simple ratio that can be justified between the linear and circular counts.
If we start with the circle (RRWWWW) and generate linear sequences by taking the 6 possible starting points in it, we get 6 different sequences. Similarly with (RWRWWW).
If we start with the circle (RWWRWW), we only get three different linear sequences.
6+6+3=15.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting, arrangements, and combinations of objects or events.

2. What are the applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, cryptography, and operations research. It is used to solve problems related to scheduling, optimization, and data analysis.

3. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include permutations, combinations, and the multiplication and addition principles. These principles are used to count the number of possible outcomes in a given situation.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the number of ways in which a set of objects can be arranged in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways in which a selection of objects can be made from a larger set without regard to order.

5. How is combinatorics used in real life?

Combinatorics is used in various real-life situations, such as in sports scheduling, lottery systems, and designing efficient computer algorithms. It is also used in studying genetics and population genetics to understand the probability of genetic outcomes and inheritance patterns.