Finding the number of arrangements

• Thread starter hms.tech
  • Start date
In that case, there are 6 reds and 3 blues. In the original question, both reds and blues cannot touch their own color, so that would be 3 reds and 3 blues.In summary, the number of ways to arrange 3 red and 3 blue balls such that no two balls of the same color are next to each other is 144. When considering the case of 5 red and 3 blue balls, the number of possible permutations is 720, taking into account that both reds and blues cannot touch their own color.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 3 red and 3 blue balls be arranged if no two balls of the same colour are next to each other ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what i did (Which is wrong)

6 x 3 x 2 x 2 x 1 x 1

I did this since there are 6 possibilities for the first spot.
there are 3 possibilities for the second spot
there are only 2 possibilities for the 3rd spot and so on ...

The correct answer is 144 (which is essentially double my answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
The crucial question here, and you don't answer it, is "are the same colored balls identical or distinguishable?" Since there are only two kinds of balls and balls of the same color cannot be next to each other, you must alternate the balls. If the same color balls are identical, there are only two arrangemennts- BRBRBR or RBRBRB. If all balls are distingushable we can
First choose a blue or red ball to go first: there at 2 ways to do that.
Having chosen, say, a blue ball, there are 3 to choose as the first ball, then 3 red balls to choose second, 2 blue for third, two red for fourth, a blue for fifth and a blue for second. If the first ball was red, we have the same situation, reversing red and blue.

There are 2(3)(3)(2)(2)(1)(1)= 72 ways to do that. I think you are correct and "144" is incorrect.

Lets put our method to test, what if the number of red balls and blue balls were not equal .
There are 5 red balls (distinguishable) and 3 blue balls (distinguishable) , find the number of possible permutations in which all blue balls are not next to each other .

I would speculate :

for the first spot : 8
(assuming the first was blue) second spot : 5
third spot : 2
fourth : 4
fifth : 1
sixth : 3
seventh : 2
last : 1

That's total : 1920

Agreed ?

hms.tech said:
Lets put our method to test, what if the number of red balls and blue balls were not equal .
There are 5 red balls (distinguishable) and 3 blue balls (distinguishable) , find the number of possible permutations in which all blue balls are not next to each other .

I would speculate :

for the first spot : 8
(assuming the first was blue) second spot : 5
third spot : 2
fourth : 4
fifth : 1
sixth : 3
seventh : 2
last : 1

That's total : 1920

Agreed ?
I think this assumes the ordering BRBRBRRR because at the third spot you only assign two possible options (which I think you mean the two remaining blue balls). But the third spot can also be red, ie something like BRRRBRRB is acceptable).

CAF123 said:
I think this assumes the ordering BRBRBRRR because at the third spot you only assign two possible options (which I think you mean the two remaining blue balls). But the third spot can also be red, ie something like BRRRBRRB is acceptable).

*amazed* You are right.

So how would we proceed in this case , do u have any leads ?

hms.tech said:
*amazed* You are right.

So how would we proceed in this case , do u have any leads ?

There are 5! permutations of the 5 red balls. There are 6 places where we can put the 3 blue balls (before each of the reds and after the last red). In how many permutations can you put 3 blue balls in 6 places?

BTW: that method yields 144 arrangements in your original problem.

Last edited:
There are 3! = 6 ways to permute the 3 red balls, and there are 3! = 6 ways to permute the 3 blue balls. There are two permuations for the 6 balls together, RBRBRB or BRBRBR, so that would seem to produce a total of 6 x 6 x 2 = 72 possible permutations, which is the same answer as in the original post. I'm not sure if we're missing something here.

Ray Vickson said:
BTW: that method yields 144 arrangements in your original problem.
Except, the original problem also forbade adjacent red balls, which halves the combinations.

rcgldr said:
There are 3! = 6 ways to permute the 3 red balls, and there are 3! = 6 ways to permute the 3 blue balls. There are two permuations for the 6 balls together, RBRBRB or BRBRBR, so that would seem to produce a total of 6 x 6 x 2 = 72 possible permutations, which is the same answer as in the original post. I'm not sure if we're missing something here.

Sorry: you are right, of course. The method I described was for reds being allowed to touch but not blues. If neither can touch themselves, that cuts the possibilities in half.

Ray Vickson said:
Sorry: you are right, of course. The method I described was for reds being allowed to touch but not blues. If neither can touch themselves, that cuts the possibilities in half.

Which problem are u addressing :
1. 3 Reds and 3 Blues
2. 6 red and 3 blues

If the FIRST one then here is my question to u :
How can two red balls touch each other for it is given that the blue balls must be apart from each other . If any red ball was to touch another red ball, the two of the blue balls would be bound to touch .

hms.tech said:
Which problem are u addressing :
1. 3 Reds and 3 Blues
2. 6 red and 3 blues

If the FIRST one then here is my question to u :
How can two red balls touch each other for it is given that the blue balls must be apart from each other . If any red ball was to touch another red ball, the two of the blue balls would be bound to touch .

I am answering the question posed before, where there are more red than blue balls, and reds are allowed to touch each other but blues are not.

Related to Finding the number of arrangements

1. How can I find the number of possible arrangements for a given set of items?

The number of arrangements can be found by calculating the factorial of the number of items in the set. For example, if there are 4 items, the number of arrangements would be 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

2. Can the number of arrangements be different depending on the order of the items?

Yes, the number of arrangements can vary depending on the order of the items. For example, the arrangements for the set {A, B, C} would be different from the arrangements for the set {C, B, A}.

3. How can I find the number of arrangements if there are repeating items in the set?

If there are repeating items in the set, you would need to divide the factorial of the total number of items by the factorial of the number of repeating items. For example, if there are 4 items with 2 repeating items, the number of arrangements would be 4! / 2! = 12.

4. Is there a formula to quickly calculate the number of arrangements?

Yes, the formula for finding the number of arrangements is n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of items and n1, n2, etc. are the number of repeating items for each distinct item in the set.

5. Can the number of arrangements help determine the probability of a certain outcome?

Yes, the number of arrangements can be used to calculate the probability of a certain outcome. For example, if you are trying to find the probability of selecting a specific arrangement out of all possible arrangements, you would divide the number of arrangements for that outcome by the total number of arrangements.