Arthur Mattuck, Introduction to Analysis, Problem 5-7

In summary, this question asks to define a sequence recursively and prove that it is monotone and bounded for any choice of initial value a_0 > 0. The sequence is rewritten and the ratio of a_(n+1) and a_n is taken, leading to the expression 2^(1/2)^(n+1) * sqrt(a_0). It is shown that the sequence is decreasing if a_0 > 2 and increasing if 0 < a_0 < 2. The rest of the problem is straightforward in showing that the sequence is bounded and has a limit of 2.
EMR
This question is from Arthur Mattuck's "Introduction to Analysis", chapter 5, problem 5-7.

Homework Statement

Define a sequence recursively by [tex]a_{n+1}=\sqrt{2a_{n}}[/tex], [tex]a_{0}>0[/tex].

(a) Prove that for any choice of [tex]a_{0}>0[/tex], the sequence is monotone and bounded.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I've rewritten the sequence as

[tex]a_n = \sqrt{2{\sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2...\sqrt{2a_0}}}}}[/tex],

and taken the ratio of [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{n}[/tex], which leads me to the expression

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = 2^{(1/2)^{n+1}}\sqrt{a_0}[/tex].

From computing the sequence for a few initial values of [tex]a_0[/tex], I've been able to determine that the sequence is decreasing if [tex]a_0>2[/tex] and increasing if [tex]0<a_0<2[/tex]. However, I'm not sure how to show this from this ratio, i.e. how does

[tex]2^{(1/2)^{n+1}}\sqrt{a_0}<1[/tex]

which indicates that the sequence is decreasing, turn into [tex]a_0>2[/tex]?

The rest of the problem comes easy enough. I'm able to show that it is bounded and that the limit is 2 (in part b of the question).

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making this too complicated. Proving a_(n+1)>a_n translates into sqrt(2*a_n)>a_n. For what range of x is it true that sqrt(2x)>x.

Related to Arthur Mattuck, Introduction to Analysis, Problem 5-7

Question 1: What is the purpose of Problem 5-7 in Arthur Mattuck's Introduction to Analysis?

The purpose of Problem 5-7 is to test the reader's understanding of the concepts of continuity and differentiability in real analysis. It requires the reader to apply these concepts to solve a specific mathematical problem.

Question 2: Can you provide a brief overview of Problem 5-7 in Arthur Mattuck's Introduction to Analysis?

Problem 5-7 presents a function f(x) that is continuous on the interval [a,b], differentiable on (a,b), and has a local maximum at x=c. The reader is asked to prove that f'(c)=0 using the Mean Value Theorem.

Question 3: What is the Mean Value Theorem and how is it used in Problem 5-7?

The Mean Value Theorem states that if a function f(x) is continuous on the interval [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there exists a point c in (a,b) where f'(c) is equal to the slope of the line connecting the points (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)). In Problem 5-7, the reader is asked to use this theorem to prove that f'(c)=0, which would confirm that f(x) has a local maximum at x=c.

Question 4: What are the key steps in solving Problem 5-7?

The key steps in solving Problem 5-7 include understanding the concept of continuity, differentiability, and the Mean Value Theorem, applying these concepts to the given function, and using algebraic manipulation and properties of derivatives to prove that f'(c)=0.

Question 5: Are there any tips for solving Problem 5-7 more efficiently?

Some tips for solving Problem 5-7 more efficiently include drawing a graph to visualize the function and its properties, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, and carefully checking your work and assumptions to avoid mistakes.