Artificial gravity on a ship without the whole ship rotating

In summary, the idea of using giant centrifuges to create artificial gravity on a generation ship has potential issues with motion sickness and dizziness due to the rotation, and potential collisions may be worse. Additionally, the axis of rotation of the centrifuges would need to be 90° in relation to the rocket in order to have a downward gravity. However, experiments show that the fluid in the ears does not rotate with respect to the ears in a centrifuge, so this may not be a major issue. Further research is needed to fully understand the effects of centrifugal force on the human body in regards to artificial gravity.
caters
I know that rotation can cause there to be artificial gravity. But I was thinking of making a floor plan that is all horizontal with the generation ship having a rocket shape and with it being longer than it is wide and wider than it is tall.

So I was thinking of giant centrifuges on every floor.

The centrifuge underneath the floor would cause there to be a downward gravity and no worries about the Coriolis effect. At least I think it would. And I think that there is a way you can configure all the centrifuges so that the gravity everywhere is 1g.

So how fast would each centrifuge have to rotate in order to have 1g gravity downward throughout the ship?

The problem I see with rotation of the entire ship is not the Coriolis effect per se but rather dizziness and nausea, especially if a person already has dizziness or nausea. Basically, rotation of entire ship = gravity + motion sickness + dizziness(fluid in ears rotates in response to the ship rotating and thus the brain gets confused). Plus, potential collisions would be way worse due to the rotation.

With the centrifuges I do believe that the floor in the middle would need to have its centrifuge rotating the fastest and the ones on the top and bottom have their centrifuges rotating the slowest for 1g gravity.

Whatever the answer is, I know that there have to be different rotation rates for gravity to be even.

Note: I am using Newtonian gravity here, in other words a true force. General relativity would just make things way more complicated than it has to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really understand how a centrifuge works? If you do, please explain to me where the axis of rotation of the giant centrifuges might be in relation to the rocket. If you don't, please do some research on centrifuges. You can start here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuge

Likes Shadow89
The axis of rotation of the giant centrifuges would be 90° in relation to the rocket, exactly the direction I want the gravity in. If the gravity is downwards than I do believe I would need to have the giant centrifuges have the axis of rotation be 90° in relation to the rocket.

The “artificial gravity” of a centrifuge only works if you are spinning with the centrifuge.

Wait, what? I thought you could have artificial gravity without the whole ship rotating by using centrifuges. And like I said in the OP, rotation means potential collisions are way worse which is why I am wanting to avoid having the whole ship rotating if at all possible while having artificial gravity. Now it seems impossible because either the ship would be way too massive to be a ship anymore(basically giving you an iron planet if that makes any sense) or it would need to rotate.

caters said:
I thought you could have artificial gravity without the whole ship rotating by using centrifuges.
Think again.

caters said:
I thought you could have artificial gravity without the whole ship rotating by using centrifuges
You can test this out pretty easily. Get a centrifuge and three samples of some mixture. Put one of the samples in the centrifuge and place one near the centrifuge in the non spinning location where you think the artificial gravity field will act and the last across the room. Spin the centrifuge to full speed for a few minutes and then pull out the sample. Compare the sample that was in the centrifuge to the one that was nearby. It should be visibly obvious which one experienced more gravity. Then compare the one nearby to the one across the room, they should look very similar.

caters said:
The problem I see with rotation of the entire ship is not the Coriolis effect per se but rather dizziness and nausea, especially if a person already has dizziness or nausea. Basically, rotation of entire ship = gravity + motion sickness + dizziness(fluid in ears rotates in response to the ship rotating and thus the brain gets confused). Plus, potential collisions would be way worse due to the rotation.
When you are in a centrifuge, the fluid in your ears is not rotating with respect to your ears, so there is no reason it could cause dizziness.

russ_watters said:
When you are in a centrifuge, the fluid in your ears is not rotating with respect to your ears, so there is no reason it could cause dizziness.
No so. Google motion sickness centrifuge for details. I experienced this ten years ago when my then 12 year old daughter persuaded me to ride the Gravitron with her. She spent the next couple hours riding that thing, I spent the next hour laying on the ground. It spins 24 RPM and the riders experience 3 G's.
upload_2018-4-1_8-18-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_8-18-11.png
    upload_2018-4-1_8-18-11.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 657
jrmichler said:
No so. Google motion sickness centrifuge for details. I experienced this ten years ago when my then 12 year old daughter persuaded me to ride the Gravitron with her. She spent the next couple hours riding that thing, I spent the next hour laying on the ground. It spins 24 RPM and the riders experience 3 G's.
See:
Rotating devices such as centrifuges used in astronaut training and amusement park rides such as the Rotor, Mission: Space and the Gravitron can cause motion sickness in many people. While the interior of the centrifuge does not appear to move, one will experience a sense of movement.[dubiousdiscuss] In addition, centrifugal force can cause the vestibular system to give one the sense that downward is in the direction away from the center of the centrifuge rather than the true downward direction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

While the article is a bit weak, it doesn't contradict what I said. The following aspects of what you and your daughter experienced do not apply to a spaceship:
1. Multiple accelerations and deceleration in a short time (disturbing your inner ear fluid).
2. Multiple orientation changes in a short time.
3. Eye/ear motion mismatch.

[edit]
Googling a bit more, I see a few articles suggesting the Coriolis effect is a problem, so the larger the centrifuge the better. Also, that the transition between different gravity states is believed to be a significant cause.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Y...=onepage&q=centrifuge motion sickness&f=false

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/359.html

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_19-14-57.png
    upload_2018-4-1_19-14-57.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 706
Likes GTOM and russ_watters
@caters what piece of Sci-Fi is this thread in reference to?

1. How does artificial gravity work on a ship without the whole ship rotating?

Artificial gravity on a ship without the whole ship rotating can be achieved through the use of centrifugal force. This force can be created by spinning an inner ring or cylinder within the ship at a constant rate, which would create a gravitational pull towards the outer edges of the ship.

2. Is it possible to adjust the strength of artificial gravity on a ship?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the strength of artificial gravity on a ship by changing the speed at which the inner ring or cylinder rotates. A faster rotation would result in a stronger gravitational pull, while a slower rotation would result in a weaker gravitational pull.

3. Can artificial gravity be turned on and off on a ship?

Yes, artificial gravity can be turned on and off on a ship by controlling the rotation of the inner ring or cylinder. When the rotation is stopped, the centrifugal force and gravitational pull would also stop, resulting in a weightless environment.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with artificial gravity on a ship?

While artificial gravity can help prevent the negative effects of long-term weightlessness on the human body, there are potential health risks associated with it. These risks include disorientation, motion sickness, and muscle atrophy if the strength of the artificial gravity is not carefully calibrated.

5. Can artificial gravity be implemented on all types of ships?

Yes, artificial gravity can be implemented on most types of ships, as long as they have enough space to accommodate the rotating inner ring or cylinder. However, the feasibility and cost of implementing artificial gravity may vary depending on the size and purpose of the ship.