Need someone to help check my work -- Artificial Gravity Report

In summary, artificial gravity is a force used to mimic the effects of gravity in scenarios where earth's gravity is not available, such as in space. It is related to centripetal motion and can be created through rotation, similar to centrifugal force. This is often used in space exploration to counter the effects of weightlessness on astronauts.
Physics345
Member advised to choose thread titles descriptive of the actual problem and to post one problem per thread.

Homework Statement

1. Do research to find out what artificial gravity is and how it is related to centripetal motion. Explain how artificial gravity could be created in a weightless environment and give a reason why we would want to do this.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.[/B]
Artificial Gravity is a force that we use in order to replicate the effects of gravity in a scenario where the earth’s gravity is not available such as space. Artificial gravity relates to centripetal motion, considering the way it is created consists of the same concepts as centrifugal force. Artificial gravity is created with rotation, if we consider centrifugal force it really is the same concept, for example a rotor in an amusement park uses a similar concept it rotates you in a circle pushing you up against the wall of the ride as it spins you at a certain velocity in order to maintain its pull on you if you were to stand in the middle you wouldn’t be pulled you need to be in contact with rotating wall of the rotor ride physically in order to be pulled mimicking the effects of gravity. Space ships rely on this concept as well since you need to be in contact with the rotating ground in a spaceship to feel the effects artificial gravity. The reason artificial gravity is needed, is for long expeditions into space, in order to counter “Weightlessness” on astronauts, which is hazardous to an astronauts health.

References:

https://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity_artificial.htm#.Wn3FEKinH-h

https://www.space.com/23017-weightlessness.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
No, centripetal force does not appear as a label on a FBD. Since it is not specific enough it does not tell us what the force is that’s keeping the object in motion, making it an unconventional label.None.
I am not sure what you mean by "not specific enough". I would suggest drawing an example free body diagram, and show all of the forces acting on the object. So which force is responsible for the acceleration known as centripetal acceleration?

Another thing - what forces are "keeping the object in motion". If an object is set into motion and you do not apply any forces to it, what will the object do?

Physics345 said:
... a scenario where the earth’s gravity is not available such as space.
I know exactly what you mean here but you should be careful not to use careless language that is technically incorrect. Earth's gravity is very much in existence in space otherwise satellites and space junk would never fall out of orbit. What you really mean here is "far away from earth, or in orbit around Earth or a similar massive body".

phinds said:
I know exactly what you mean here but you should be careful not to use careless language that is technically incorrect. Earth's gravity is very much in existence in space otherwise satellites and space junk would never fall out of orbit. What you really mean here is "far away from earth, or in orbit around Earth or a similar massive body".
Yes, it keeps the moon from flying away, as well.

scottdave said:
I am not sure what you mean by "not specific enough". I would suggest drawing an example free body diagram, and show all of the forces acting on the object. So which force is responsible for the acceleration known as centripetal acceleration?

Another thing - what forces are "keeping the object in motion". If an object is set into motion and you do not apply any forces to it, what will the object do?
Um that was moved to another thread, and I already figured that out, with some awesome help. At this point the only relevant question here is :

1. Do research to find out what artificial gravity is and how it is related to centripetal motion. Explain how artificial gravity could be created in a weightless environment and give a reason why we would want to do this.

and my answer which is:

Artificial Gravity is a force that we use in order to replicate the effects of gravity in a scenario where the earth’s gravity is not available such as space. Artificial gravity relates to centripetal motion, considering the way it is created consists of the same concepts as centrifugal force. Artificial gravity is created with rotation, if we consider centrifugal force it really is the same concept, for example a rotor in an amusement park uses a similar concept it rotates you in a circle pushing you up against the wall of the ride as it spins you at a certain velocity in order to maintain its pull on you if you were to stand in the middle you wouldn’t be pulled you need to be in contact with rotating wall of the rotor ride physically in order to be pulled mimicking the effects of gravity. Space ships rely on this concept as well since you need to be in contact with the rotating ground in a spaceship to feel the effects artificial gravity. The reason artificial gravity is needed, is for long expeditions into space, in order to counter “Weightlessness” on astronauts, which is hazardous to an astronauts health.

Physics345 said:
Artificial Gravity is a force that we use in order to replicate the effects of gravity in a scenario where the earth’s gravity is not available such as space.
There is more to it. Why do we use centrifuges here on Earth where there is natural gravity?

Likes Physics345
kuruman said:
There is more to it. Why do we use centrifuges here on Earth where there is natural gravity?
To create a rapid circular motion, that's as far as my understanding on this question goes.

Physics345 said:
To create a rapid circular motion, that's as far as my understanding on this question goes.
No, you are being asked what a centrifuge is for. Why put something in a centrifuge? Is there, in theory at least, another way to get the desired result?

Likes Physics345
haruspex said:
No, you are being asked what a centrifuge is for. Why put something in a centrifuge? Is there, in theory at least, another way to get the desired result?
Oh to make a denser material pull down at a faster rate, such as chemicals.

Physics345 said:
Oh to make a denser material pull down at a faster rate, such as chemicals.
Yes, and you can do this by exerting different magnitudes of forces on components of different masses. This could be as a consequence of increased gravity or of an acceleration, centripetal or linear.

Likes Physics345
haruspex said:
Yes, and you can do this by exerting different magnitudes of forces on components of different masses. This could be as a consequence of increased gravity or of an acceleration, centripetal or linear.
So basically you're saying that we can create gravity by accelerating in a centripetal motion?

Physics345 said:
So basically you're saying that we can create gravity by accelerating in a centripetal motion?
I'm saying we can create a force that is equivalent to a gravity by accelerating the object. Circular motion is a convenient way to do it.

Likes Physics345
haruspex said:
I'm saying we can create a force that is equivalent to a gravity by accelerating the object. Circular motion is a convenient way to do it.
Um, I thought I stated that in the answer, I guess I didn't clearly state it, which was bad wording on my part. But creating Artificial gravity by acceleration in a linear motion I did not know, would you care to elaborate on that a little bit more, so I get a more clear understanding of how it works, or a link to a diagram/video, would be nice as well, considering I am a visual learner.

Last edited:
Here the answer after Imputed what I missed, also the lesson is about centripetal motion so I don't think I need to state the other ways the we create a force that is equivalent to gravity in the other ways.

Artificial Gravity is a force that we use in order to replicate the effects of gravity in a scenario where the earth’s gravity is not available such as space. Artificial gravity relates to centripetal motion, considering the way it is created consists of the same concepts as centrifugal force. Artificial gravity is created with rotation, if we consider centrifugal force it really is the same concept, for example a rotor in an amusement park uses a similar concept it rotates you in a circle pushing you up against the wall of the ride as it spins you at a certain velocity in order to maintain its pull on you if you were to stand in the middle you wouldn’t be pulled you need to be in contact with rotating wall of the rotor ride physically in order to be pulled mimicking the effects of gravity, in turn creating artificial gravity . Space ships rely on this concept as well since you need to be in contact with the rotating ground in a spaceship to feel the effects artificial gravity. Therefore, rotating the spaceship in a centripetal motion we are creating a force that is equivalent to gravity , thus creating “Artificial gravity” .The reason artificial gravity is needed, is for long expeditions into space, in order to counter “Weightlessness” on astronauts, which is hazardous to an astronauts health.

Physics345 said:
creating Artificial gravity by acceleration in a linear motion I did not know
At lift-off, astronauts experience about 3g from the sheer acceleration of the rocket. That's the same as you would experience at the lowest part of a swing if you were to start with the swing ropes horizontal.

Isn't that only because the Earth's gravitational field is pulling down on them? would it even be applicable in a scenario where there is no gravity? such as a deep region in space? let's say u were to go at that exact same speed in deep space would you even be able to tell or would it feel like you were driving a car? Because this whole concept is going against Newtons laws. if it did apply in deep space where there is no gravity or any type of resisting force.

haruspex said:
At lift-off, astronauts experience about 3g from the sheer acceleration of the rocket. That's the same as you would experience at the lowest part of a swing if you were to start with the swing ropes horizontal.
Actually let me rephrase that, okay we're in deep space with a negligible amount of gravity all over and we're at a complete stop, then we decided to accelerate at the exact same speed that we would, at the initial launch from Earth would we be able to feel the same artificial gravitational effects?
Note: this question is completely hypothetical.

phinds said:
I just noticed that, you're completely right. I am still new to all this, you could call me "green" and that I agree with you, that wording is very inaccurate. I will be sure to fix that, and try to be more careful about my wording from now on.

scottdave said:
“An object in motion tends to stay in motion at the same speed and the same direction, unless acted on by an unbalanced force” Sir Isaac Newton. I think that answers that thanks Newton, sorry for the related reply I just noticed that question.

1. What is artificial gravity?

Artificial gravity is a simulated gravitational force that is created by mechanical means, such as rotation or acceleration, to mimic the effects of gravity on objects and individuals.

2. How does artificial gravity work?

Artificial gravity works by creating a centrifugal force that acts on the objects or individuals within a rotating system. This force pulls objects towards the outer edge of the system, creating the illusion of gravity.

3. What are the potential benefits of artificial gravity?

Artificial gravity has several potential benefits, including mitigating the negative effects of microgravity on human health, allowing for more comfortable long-term space travel, and enabling the growth of plants and other living organisms in space.

4. What are the challenges of creating artificial gravity?

The main challenge of creating artificial gravity is the engineering and technological requirements necessary to generate and maintain a rotating system in space. This requires precise calculations, reliable equipment, and a significant amount of energy and resources.

5. Is artificial gravity possible?

Yes, artificial gravity is theoretically possible and has been successfully tested in simulations and short-term experiments. However, more research and development is needed to create a sustainable and practical artificial gravity system for long-term space missions.